No display when switching to a working GPU (PCIe lanes bottleneck ?)

Hi,

I have a desktop with :

• RAM: 12 GB of DDR3 RAM (8 + 4)
  • GPU: GT 540
  • CPU: i3 2120
  • MotherboardFoxconn 2ABF
  • SSD (240 GB)
  • HDD (1 TB)
  • PSU: 450W PSU

And this desktop works. I also have a spare RX 480 that I testes on another system and that I know is working.

My issue is that when I try to change the GT 540 with the RX 480 nothing is displayed on the screen.

I am building PCs since 2013 but here I'm at loss, I don't understand what's the issue then I thought about a PCIe lanes bottleneck.

Could it be it ? If not what can it be ?

Thanks in advanc master race

44 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Did you plug your power supply into the RX 480?

I support this question.  Yes it’s basic, but always get the basic checks out of the way first. “Is it plugged in” and “have you turned it off and on” may sound insulting but they’re still necessary.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

UEFI Bios issues could be likely...

Update the Foxconn Motherboard Bios.

Techyescity talks frequently on his budget builds that AMD RX and various other GPUs have a Compatability issue with Motherboards NOT supporting a feature needed to INITIALIZE the GPU.

One example of many (hard to find because people havnt labeled it as a term as they were still figuring it out)

But I used "UEFI NO BOOT GPU BIOS UPDATE"

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 hours ago, Kenshin9955 said:

@Bombastinator @Crunchy Dragon I agree it's a common mistake but sadly I did plug the power cable at the back of the GPU

@SkilledRebuilds I also thought about that but couldn't find where to download the update

Did you run DDU in Safe Mode to clean out the Nvidia drivers before installing the RX 480?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

No but I dont even have a post that is displayed so I doubt that updating the windows driver would solve the issue.