PS2 Repair Help (Sort of)

So I have been tasked with repairing a bunch of PS2s, mostly slims. My boss is under the impression that PS2s are of the devil and that all of the models of slims require different hardware. I don't believe that they do, but I would I would rather not have to check each model number EVERY TIME I repair one so I was wondering if anyone has any insight on the repair of PS2s in general, but more specifically PS2 Slims. Help is wonderful, but please, only leave a suggestion if you actually know what you're talking about. Thanks!

See, outside of the actual SCPH model numbers, there's bound to be different variants of those specific motherboards just because of how Sony handled updating the hardware in ways that didn't require them to mark it as a newer model. Frankly, you're gonna have to keep checking what specific variant that PS2 is.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

6 minutes ago, SnowWolf370 said:

Yeah, he is right. The PS2 Slim uses even more random hardware parts than the PS2 "Fatboy" did.. I remember replacing the laser on mine and it was a pain, because even for the fatboy there were a ton of different laser types and different mounting solutions.. It seems to be pretty random depending on anything, not just a region thing.. No idea why they were built like that. But yeah, PS2 can be a real pain. Also the laser is really tricky, because they were all... Well, at least the fatboy.. The laser was aimed manually during production, so even when you change the laser.. The rails that aim it, might need adjusting.. And that can be a pain..

Man, these things really are the devil. So, does a part that works functionally not be read by a driver correctly? I recently replaced a PS2 Slim laser that did function, with the red laser working and everything, however, the disc did not spin. My understanding is that if the disc is not read, it may not spin. I checked via CD and DVD and nothing responded either time (yes I tested it with the case off and pushed both buttons). Does this mean that it could need realigned or the laser is not outputting to the driver (or it just doesnt work)?

1 hour ago, ohdatpro said:

Man, these things really are the devil. So, does a part that works functionally not be read by a driver correctly? I recently replaced a PS2 Slim laser that did function, with the red laser working and everything, however, the disc did not spin. My understanding is that if the disc is not read, it may not spin. I checked via CD and DVD and nothing responded either time (yes I tested it with the case off and pushed both buttons). Does this mean that it could need realigned or the laser is not outputting to the driver (or it just doesnt work)?

From what I remember, there's a tool out there that allows you to flash that disc drive assembly's specific disc drive for a PS2 if it's a similar model (especially if it's in the same SCPH-series) but a different disc drive. That's most likely what's going on, that it's a different driver to what that specific PS2 has. Still, just might be easier to look for what disc drive that specific PS2 has and then trying to get one of those.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.