3900x stock cooler

I don't have the budget for a after market cooler right now. But in a month or two I will. Is the stock cooler fine for stock speeds? I don't plan on over clocking at all even with after market cooler. Just keep it stock? Or should I still get a after market cooler later?

don't keep stock but it technically is enough, you want a better cooler for longer sustained boost clocks that are stable, at some point the line blurs and you call it overclocking but the ideas the same.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

budget cooler is fine, a touch loud, but perfectly good for cooling the CPU. 

1 minute ago, Jumballi said:

at some point the line blurs and you call it overclocking but the ideas the same.

CPU boosting is perfectly normal. 

PBO is under the classification of "overclocking" for AMD, but you have to enable it manually. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

CPU boosting is perfectly normal. 

PBO is under the classification of "overclocking" for AMD, but you have to enable it manually. 

I was referring to certain mobo manufacturers having a default setting where it enabled the boost clock to run longer/continuous but not call it overclocking

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

2 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

I was referring to certain mobo manufacturers having a default setting where it enabled the boost clock to run longer/continuous but not call it overclocking

that was only the case on certain Z370 motherboard and i believe it got fixed in later bios revisions. 

also it was known as either MCE or the mobo manufacturer own auto overclocking or performance "enhancements"

Just now, GoldenLag said:

that was only the case on certain Z370 motherboard and i believe it got fixed in later bios revisions. 

also it was known as either MCE or the mobo manufacturer own auto overclocking or performance "enhancements"

no it's practically on everything now, the situation just went from oh no asus started doing this without telling anyone to everyone is doing it so there's point to complain since the reviewers should be checking for this in the first place.

no it's practically on everything now

its a feature on the boards. tho not automatically enabled like back on z370. 

the situation just went from oh no asus started doing this without telling anyone to everyone is doing it

Asus was like one of the few people who didnt do it iirc. 

so there's point to complain since the reviewers should be checking for this in the first place.

they did, and they complained loudly about it back in 2018........... its why z390 doesnt have it enabled by default, why it got changed on z370 with later bios revision(i think that change happened, cant recall tho as its 2 years ago) and x570 doesnt even have that sort of feature outside of PBO iirc. 

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

its a feature on the boards. tho not automatically enabled like back on z370. 

Asus was like one of the few people who didnt do it iirc. 

they did, and they complained loudly about it back in 2018........... its why z390 doesnt have it enabled by default, why it got changed on z370 with later bios revision(i think that change happened, cant recall tho as its 2 years ago) and x570 doesnt even have that sort of feature outside of PBO iirc. 

it's still on new boards today, my asus z370 board had it at launch and the bios update did not remove it

and my point of reviewers was that their complaints was that this just was underhanded in the review process because they didn't know they were overclocking in their comparisons but now they know that this is a setting they need to check out for.

It's actually a really cool feature for lower end consumers who don't know overclocking is a thing or just want free performance without getting into the nitty gritty

it's still on new boards today, my asus z370 board had it at launch and the bios update did not remove it

good to know i guess. 

and my point of reviewers was that their complaints was that this just was underhanded in the review process because they didn't know they were overclocking in their comparisons but now they know that this is a setting they need to check out for.

actually there was more than just the fact that you enabled it by clicking "yes". totally unrelated settings also enabled it, on some it was enabled by default on others not. 

hence Z390 was a whole lot more straight forwards. 

4 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

It's actually a really cool feature for lower end consumers who don't know overclocking is a thing or just want free performance without getting into the nitty gritty

indeed it is, but currently its not an issue when running stock on x570 or z390. 

indeed it is, but currently its not an issue when running stock on x570 or z390. 

hopefully he remembers to turn it off or he might run into some issues

Just now, Jumballi said:

hopefully he remembers to turn it off or he might run into some issues

he doesnt have to turn it off tho.......

1. it was never an issue on x570
  2. x570 doesnt have such a feature
  3. x570 demands it to be turned off by default as its under the category of "overclocking" from the perspective of AMD
  4. even Z390 had it turned off by default. 

he doesnt have to turn it off tho.......

1. it was never an issue on x570
  2. x570 doesnt have such a feature
  3. x570 demands it to be turned off by default as its under the category of "overclocking" from the perspective of AMD
  4. even Z390 had it turned off by default. 

it's there on some x570, definitely was on by default on the asrock model I worked on

1 minute ago, Lol_Someoneactually said:

Well I'm running msi B450 tomahawk max soooooooo yeah ?

well the thing we're arguing about is whether or not you have to check for the feature which is still something you should definitely check for regardless

Just now, Jumballi said:

definitely was on by default on the asrock model I worked on

which model?

i payed attention to coverage regarding x570 and did not see any such boards being present. 

doing some quick searching there is no mention of such a board. 

PBO should also not be confused with precision boost, which is normal boosting behavior. 

Just let me know what to do and I'll do it 

well the thing we're arguing about is whether or not you have to check for the feature which is still something you should definitely check for regardless

3 minutes ago, Lol_Someoneactually said:

Well I'm running msi B450 tomahawk max soooooooo yeah ?

B450 never had that issue either....... if there were boards who had it, it would be x570. 

so in other words is a non-issue. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

which model?

it was either the tiachi or steel.

it's getting close to 1am for me and I gotta hit the hay, so I'll call my friend up in the morning and have him show me around the bios so I can verify and get back to you.