Rebel T5i Question About Batteries

Hey everyone!

I found a smoking deal online for a used Canon Rebel T5i, comes with everything out of the box, including an 18-55mm lens. It has a shutter count of 376 so it has barely been used, and there isnt a single scratch on it. I picked it up for 200 Canadian rupees. I feel like that is a great deal considering the price of the camera brand new. Anyways I would like to purchase 1, maybe 2 more batteries for the camera. Amazon has a bunch of different brands of batteries in 1 or two pack combos for less than 40 dollars, they are all  compatible for the camera, but they are brands I never heard of, to the extent that I bet I would be able to find them on wish for dirt cheap. I really don't want to risk damaging the camera, and I will happily spend the 80 dollars on a Canon battery, but if anyone can recommend a brand of third party batteries that would have a low risk of damage to the camera, I would really appreciate it! 

Thank you!

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

28 minutes ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

I really don't want to risk damaging the camera, and I will happily spend the 80 dollars on a Canon battery, but if anyone can recommend a brand of third party batteries that would have a low risk of damage to the camera, I would really appreciate it!

There's not really a magic recipe here, your best bet is to go off of Amazon reviews and do your research from there. I know that as long as you aren't buying barely-reviewed or low-reviewed batteries your camera isn't likely to get damaged, but (if you go onto amazon and search your batter model number which i believe is LP-E8), you can find the actual Canon retail packages, and offerings from Amazon basics and Duracell, both of which I'd trust.

Hope this helps

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

6 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

There's not really a magic recipe here, your best bet is to go off of Amazon reviews and do your research from there. I know that as long as you aren't buying barely-reviewed or low-reviewed batteries your camera isn't likely to get damaged, but (if you go onto amazon and search your batter model number which i believe is LP-E8), you can find the actual Canon retail packages, and offerings from Amazon basics and Duracell, both of which I'd trust.

Hope this helps

So looking on amazon I had heard Duracell makes compatible batteries, however no seller available on amazon will ship to Canada that I was able to find on amazon.ca. I saw a polaroid kit, and I have heard of a company called Wasabi Power that people have given good reviews about. All the other ones look cheaply made, but have good reviews. I suppose I am just looking for anyone with experience with third parties on the forum who can make a recommendation, as the only Canon brand is selling just the battery and it goes for about $89.99 on amazon, best buy, the source, etc. The kit of 2 Wasabi Power batteries with a charger compatible to use on DC 12V (car charger) and home AC plug is going for $30.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

https://www.amazon.ca/Fosmon-Extended-Replacement-Battery-Compatible/dp/B00J9PQINK/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=lp-e8+canon&qid=1578593735&sr=8-7

$20 2 pack, at 4.5 stars with 192 reviews, I couldn't find whatever you were mentioning but if I was buying batteries I'd stick to this

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

22 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

https://www.amazon.ca/Fosmon-Extended-Replacement-Battery-Compatible/dp/B00J9PQINK/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=lp-e8+canon&qid=1578593735&sr=8-7

$20 2 pack, at 4.5 stars with 192 reviews, I couldn't find whatever you were mentioning but if I was buying batteries I'd stick to this

The factory battery has a 7.2V output, I cannot imagine its a massive issue that the link shows a 7.4V battery? It has twice the capacaty which is nice. 

3 minutes ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

The factory battery has a 7.2V output, I cannot imagine its a massive issue that the link shows a 7.4V battery? It has twice the capacaty which is nice. 

Nah I mean it's not gonna kill the camera, to be fair some phone chargers output 5.1V, so you should be fine with your camera