Thoughts?

NotOnMyComputer

So I am in the middle of re building my PC after realizing my old build is "extremely" out of date haha

I attained this Corsair TX750W from a customer from work for $20, its in okay condition just a lil dust otherwise i was told it was never really used.

I just recently remembered that I even owned it. 

Is the PSU any good? I have an MSI b450 tomahawk and have for the GPU a Geforce GTX980. 

I’m not sure I dare.  Every time I think there is this burning smell...

I concur with @Daniel Z..  The Corsair TX series has a not totally unmarked but generally quite good reputation.  Any used PSU is a bit of a die roll of course.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

we're talking about 5 or so lines here... what model number, color of the label or anything?

6 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

What colour is the label? Is it gray? If it is, it’s a great unit

its this model

s-l1600.jpg

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m not sure I dare.  Every time I think there is this burning smell...

I concur with @Daniel Z..  The Corsair TX series has a not totally unmarked but generally quite good reputation.  Any used PSU is a bit of a die roll of course.

Gotcha If i dont have to spend the money for a new PSU that would be dope but I also dont want to kill my build by trying to cheap out haha

Great PSU.  Albeit 15 years old.  :D

Like Bombastinator said:  Any used PSU is a crap shoot.  If the bulk cap pops because it's dried up, try not to jump.  ?

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Great PSU.  Albeit 15 years old.  :D

Like Bombastinator said:  Any used PSU is a crap shoot.  If the bulk cap pops because it's dried up, try not to jump.  ?

is there a way to find out beforehand if its gonna be crap? i would test it on my older system but the only problem is i cant seem to hook it to my biostar ta970

22 minutes ago, NotOnMyComputer said:

is there a way to find out beforehand if its gonna be crap? i would test it on my older system but the only problem is i cant seem to hook it to my biostar ta970

I’ve seen comments in the PSU thread talking about looking for ripple, so I’m guessing you’d need an oscilloscope? 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

37 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve seen comments in the PSU thread talking about looking for ripple, so I’m guessing you’d need an oscilloscope? 

I'm just gonna take the leap and use it as is, i got it from a trusted source so I will put my faith on the PSU