Asus GeForce RTX 2060 TUF 6GB is loud...

Zelenia
23 minutes ago, Sxies said:

At the moment it's set to 83. I think I will try with 75 or 78. Should I also modify the power limit or it has nothing to do with it?

I think you just can let the power limit stay. If it reaches the power limit before it reaches the temp limit it will throttle down even if it has more temperature headroom. So if you are happy with 75 C temp you will loose performance if it starts throttling before that due to a lower power limit.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

25 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

I think you just can let the power limit stay. If it reaches the power limit before it reaches the temp limit it will throttle down even if it has more temperature headroom. So if you are happy with 75 C temp you will loose performance if it starts throttling before that due to a lower power limit.

Will try right now 🙂
I'll come back with an update

@Tegneren and 1 more question 🙂
Does power limit also stand for GPU usage I mean the max % usage or it's related to voltage etc? 

13 hours ago, Sxies said:

@Tegneren and 1 more question 🙂
Does power limit also stand for GPU usage I mean the max % usage or it's related to voltage etc? 

No. If anything, It will reach 100% more often as you, by slowing it down, are basically making it easier for the CPU to feed it with enough tasks. 100% just means its working at its full capacity under the conditions you set. 

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

3 hours ago, Tegneren said:

No. If anything, It will reach 100% more often as you, by slowing it down, are basically making it easier for the CPU to feed it with enough tasks. 100% just means its working at its full capacity under the conditions you set. 

Ah okay. It kinda feels the same after modifying these settings too 😕 
I've seen people undervolting their GPUs and even got better FPS and temps

Is it worth doing this? I know how to do it but I don't know what values to use for my 2060.
Also my specs are: i5 10400f, rtx 2060, 2x8gb hyperx fury 2666mhz, 250 gb ssd and 2tb hdd.

11 minutes ago, Sxies said:

Is it worth doing this? I know how to do it but I don't know what values to use for my 2060.
Also my specs are: i5 10400f, rtx 2060, 2x8gb hyperx fury 2666mhz, 250 gb ssd and 2tb hdd.

You can try, I'm no expert on undervolting, but it might work.

2 hours ago, Sxies said:

I'm bit hesitated to give any advice (I've been trying to write this message for 2 hours now)... Just make sure you got good quality PSU before doing this stuff. 🙂 

Anyway, for me it was worth it. I got 2-3°C lower temperatures while gaming on my TUF RTX 2060 so it was great. There was also less stutter because the GPU didn't need to downclock itself. 

The downside was that the GPU had sometimes rather odd behavior... like it sometimes would be stuck in some voltage and it refused to come down. I'm not sure if it was Afterburner issue or what. My card also was never able to have stabile 1930Mhz while downclocked. I did try even some manual overvolting/overclocking to see if I can get stabile 1930Mhz but the cooler wasn't able to handle it. 

For the numbers...  My 2060 TUF card was working on 0.730Mv-1.060Mv range (idle v.s boost). I was able to get stabile 1860-1870Mhz when undervolted.  You should play around with MSI Afterburner to see what works for your particular card.

I got one old post that has the voltage curve I did use but it got a slight overclocking going on. So if you don't want to overclock your card, don't use it. 😛

Gaming PC

MBO: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX           CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3060ti TUF OC 8GB,        RAM: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 3200Mhz,

Storage: Samsung SSD 980 1TB  &   WD Blue 1 TB SSD

PSU: Corsair 650W RM650x (2018)       Case: Kolink Citadel Mesh Matx     Case Fans: 3x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 120mm

5 hours ago, Zelenia said:

I got one old post that has the voltage curve I did use but it got a slight overclocking going on. So if you don't want to overclock your card, don't use it. 😛

So by undervolting my GPU I would also give it a bit of overclock? Because it doesn't make that much sense to me 🙂
Really tired of capping my FPS to get max 70-75 degrees + I got a really good case with good airflow & 5 fans (all of them constantly running @ 1200RPM, 2 intake and 3 exhaust)
At the moment I'm using your custom fan curve because after reversing the underclock it seems that I can't keep it up with the default one also known as "vaccum cleaner engine" xd
Also my PSU is called Corsair CV650 80+ Bronze (650Watts).
Can you show me the voltage curve? I can't find your post anywhere 🙂
By the way, the funny thing is that I don't even have the OC edition of the TUF 2060 gpu gut it's still garbage as the other one 😛 ; And according to techpowerup, they have the same frequencies and clock speeds etc ( https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-tuf-rtx-2060-gaming.b6680 / https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-tuf-rtx-2060-gaming-oc.b6681 )
Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, Tegneren said:

You can try, I'm no expert on undervolting, but it might work.

I will think about it as some people said it could also add an overclock to my GPU although I'm just undervolting it. -_-
Really tired of capping my FPS to get max 70-75 degrees + I got a really good case with good airflow & 5 fans (all of them constantly running @ 1200RPM, 2 intake and 3 exhaust)

12 hours ago, Sxies said:

So by undervolting my GPU I would also give it a bit of overclock? Because it doesn't make that much sense to me 🙂
At the moment I'm using your custom fan curve because after reversing the underclock it seems that I can't keep it up with the default one also known as "vaccum cleaner engine" xd
Also my PSU is called Corsair CV650 80+ Bronze (650Watts).
Can you show me the voltage curve? I can't find your post anywhere 🙂
By the way, the funny thing is that I don't even have the OC edition of the TUF 2060 gpu gut it's still garbage as the other one 😛 ; And according to techpowerup, they have the same frequencies and clock speeds etc ( https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-tuf-rtx-2060-gaming.b6680 / https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-tuf-rtx-2060-gaming-oc.b6681 )
Thanks in advance!

You don't have to overclock when undervolting. But it's usually done to get more performance from your card AND decreasing the amount of heat generated. So you get a performance boost and the card is running cooler than it would otherwise. And also TUF 2060 got a terrible stock curve, at least the OC one did. I'm not sure if undervolting did affect the lifespan of my card but with the stock settings the fans would've died sooner. 

Here is my old post:

In this picture I'm "overclocking" the card from 862mv to 950mv. The card was boosting to stabile 1860Mhz. From 950mv to 1050mv (max boost voltage) the card is "underclocking" and staying at 1860Mhz. You can see it's underclocking because MSI Afterburner is showing that light grey line that is suggesting me to drag the curve higher. 🙂 

Anyway, chips are different even in same card model so you should try to make your own curve. You can do this with either with the game running in a benchmark mode or use a software that simulates gameplay. You can also run the games with voltage + mhz overlay turned on to see what kind of range is safe for your card.

Gaming PC

MBO: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX           CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3060ti TUF OC 8GB,        RAM: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 3200Mhz,

PSU: Corsair 650W RM650x (2018)       Case: Kolink Citadel Mesh Matx     Case Fans: 3x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 120mm

3 hours ago, Zelenia said:

You don't have to overclock when undervolting. But it's usually done to get more performance from your card AND decreasing the amount of heat generated. So you get a performance boost and the card is running cooler than it would otherwise. And also TUF 2060 got a terrible stock curve, at least the OC one did. I'm not sure if undervolting did affect the lifespan of my card but with the stock settings the fans would've died sooner. 

Here is my old post:

In this picture I'm "overclocking" the card from 862mv to 950mv. The card was boosting to stabile 1860Mhz. From 950mv to 1050mv (max boost voltage) the card is "underclocking" and staying at 1860Mhz. You can see it's underclocking because MSI Afterburner is showing that light grey line that is suggesting me to drag the curve higher. 🙂 

Anyway, chips are different even in same card model so you should try to make your own curve. You can do this with either with the game running in a benchmark mode or use a software that simulates gameplay. You can also run the games with voltage + mhz overlay turned on to see what kind of range is safe for your card.

Well to be honest I have no idea on how to set it up like what values to use + I don't want to OC my card 🙂 
I've never done such thing before and I don't really know what values to use for different types of MHz/mV as I said above, I'm not really experienced & I just want better temps and acceptable fan noise. Do you have any undervolting settings without this small OC? 🙂
And comparing to other GPUs where the fan speed at 60 degrees celsius would be at least 50-55% not 35-40% as our GPUs do really makes me wonder how are we supposed to cool down these cards with such low fan speeds just to make it friendly for our ears? -_-
Anything that goes above above 50% is already cancer for my ears and since I'm not alone someone in my room has to endure this pain xd
Its been 3 months already since I got this GPU & nothing can be done right now + all GPUs are currently out of stock or some of them are available but really overpriced (had to replace a MSI GTX 1660TI with this one because it was broken and my PC would restart everytime I was playing a game) & I didn't have that much time to play games and test it in-depth at that time because of school and yeah...
All I want is lower temps and decent fan noise, because I'm tired of playing @ 70-75 degrees even with my FPS being capped.
This guy changed his power target to 84 and temp target to 70 inside gpu tweak 2, are these settings good enough? It's the same thing in afterburner but it's called limit instead of target for both options?
You can see here:
I wish it will last for 2 years at least since I pay every month for my PC parts because they were really expensive at the time being and didn't have that much money for a single time purchase.

Thanks in advance! 🙂

9 hours ago, Sxies said:

Well to be honest I have no idea on how to set it up like what values to use + I don't want to OC my card 🙂 
I've never done such thing before and I don't really know what values to use for different types of MHz/mV as I said above, I'm not really experienced & I just want better temps and acceptable fan noise. Do you have any undervolting settings without this small OC? 🙂
And comparing to other GPUs where the fan speed at 60 degrees celsius would be at least 50-55% not 35-40% as our GPUs do really makes me wonder how are we supposed to cool down these cards with such low fan speeds just to make it friendly for our ears? -_-
Anything that goes above above 50% is already cancer for my ears and since I'm not alone someone in my room has to endure this pain xd
Its been 3 months already since I got this GPU & nothing can be done right now + all GPUs are currently out of stock or some of them are available but really overpriced (had to replace a MSI GTX 1660TI with this one because it was broken and my PC would restart everytime I was playing a game) & I didn't have that much time to play games and test it in-depth at that time because of school and yeah...
All I want is lower temps and decent fan noise, because I'm tired of playing @ 70-75 degrees even with my FPS being capped.
This guy changed his power target to 84 and temp target to 70 inside gpu tweak 2, are these settings good enough? It's the same thing in afterburner but it's called limit instead of target for both options?
You can see here:
I wish it will last for 2 years at least since I pay every month for my PC parts because they were really expensive at the time being and didn't have that much money for a single time purchase.

Thanks in advance! 🙂

Been there, done that.  I've went through exactly the same vicious cycle as you did with that card. Sadly the cooler isn't any good so there isn't much you can do about it.

I was able to tolerate the card for 7 months and then I did end up selling it (the buyer did know it's noisy and still wanted it because of GPU shortage).

So no, I don't have any profiles left because I'm using a different card. All I got is that old topic and those values I've listed already. 

It's possible to force the card to lower voltages without overclocking but that's basically downclocking. It's almost same thing you've been doing by adjusting "core clock" slider in Afterburner. You will lose some performance by doing that.

I got no idea about GPU tweak but you can always try and see if it works for you. 

On positive side note, I found myself a new hobby with PC building thanks to this card. 

Gaming PC

4 minutes ago, Zelenia said:

Been there, done that.  I've went through exactly the same vicious cycle as you did with that card. Sadly the cooler isn't any good so there isn't much you can do about it.

I was able to tolerate the card for 7 months and then I did end up selling it (the buyer did know it's noisy and still wanted it because of GPU shortage).

So no, I don't have any profiles left because I'm using a different card. All I got is that old topic and those values I've listed already. 

It's possible to force the card to lower voltages without overclocking but that's basically downclocking. It's almost same thing you've been doing by adjusting "core clock" slider in Afterburner. You will lose some performance by doing that.

I got no idea about GPU tweak but you can always try and see if it works for you. 

On positive side note, I found myself a new hobby with PC building thanks to this card. 

I will never buy asus hardware again. Whether its tuf or not they suck at making computer hardware...
My last try will be an adjustment to the power & temp limit...Don't want to mess with the voltage because I'm not experienced into such stuff + I can't see the exact values by looking at your screenshot, you have to hover to mouse over each level & since you don't have it anymore it's impossible to see the exact values 😞
I'm not going to try gpu tweak since many people had a lot of issues with it, and it also comes with some bloatware for optimization etc so that's a no 🙂
Tried downclocking to -502 MHz but it was way too much & it made my gpu perform like a 1050-1060Ti. I will probably try that again, but with -100 / -150 or max -200 Mhz.
Asus really disappointed me 😞

@ZeleniaHey again! 😀 I've just adjusted the power and temp limit sliders and it's almost the same thing (max temp 65 and power 78), 1-2 degrees difference and still the same frequencies (just -20 / -30 MHz which is nothing). Might just downclock the GPU Clock again but this time to -200 MHz and that's it. 

I really wish there was a way so you can help me to undervolt my GPU if you still had it, like without that OC thing or if you can guide me what to set inside the voltage/freq curve editor since I'm new into this, can't understand that much from a single screenshot 😅

8 hours ago, Sxies said:

@ZeleniaHey again! 😀 I've just adjusted the power and temp limit sliders and it's almost the same thing (max temp 65 and power 78), 1-2 degrees difference and still the same frequencies (just -20 / -30 MHz which is nothing). Might just downclock the GPU Clock again but this time to -200 MHz and that's it. 

I really wish there was a way so you can help me to undervolt my GPU if you still had it, like without that OC thing or if you can guide me what to set inside the voltage/freq curve editor since I'm new into this, can't understand that much from a single screenshot 😅

I can help you through it. However I don't think it will make much difference if you pull down both voltage and clock speed of the GPU. But yes it's possible. I did something similar first because I was so scared of breaking the card. 

Anyway, you can contact me with DM if u wish and I'll walk you through the process. 🙂 I did spend half year playing around with the voltages so I got it memorized pretty much. 

Gaming PC