Proliant Server USB disabled in POST

Hello,

I recently purchased a used dl360p g8. Before the os, The keyboard doesnt work and the caps lock light dosent turn on. I tried multiple keyboards/usb ports. I removed the CMOS battery for a few minutes with no results. I tried installing debian, but the keyboard didnt work when i tried to start the installer. I managed to install ubuntu through a live cd. Wanted to ask for some help before i attempt to flash a new BIOS (cant remember exactly what hp calls it).

Thanks!

Andy

5 minutes ago, EstebanFPV said:

Thanks for the reply!

theres no ps/2 on the server mobo :((( @Crunchy Dragon

Andy

Are you sure?

I find it a little hard to believe that a server, of all possible systems, doesn't have a PS/2 port.

EDIT: looked up the model, it makes a bit more sense now that I'm aware of it being a 1U rackmount. Still strange, but whatever. Was it working before you bought it?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

While i was researching the problem earlier, I noticed someone ssh ed into ILO to turn USB on. I tried this but the host was "unreachable". Im not sure if ILO is set up, but when i turn on the server it tells me the ILO ip. When i ping the ip it says its "unreachable". This is my first day owning a server so i dont know a lot.

Andy

1 minute ago, EstebanFPV said:

While i was researching the problem earlier, I noticed someone ssh ed into ILO to turn USB on. I tried this but the host was "unreachable". Im not sure if ILO is set up, but when i turn on the server it tells me the ILO ip. When i ping the ip it says its "unreachable". This is my first day owning a server so i dont know a lot.

Andy

Is it possible to get into the BIOS at all?

Is the server connected to the same network as the computer you're trying to SSH from? If the two systems can't see each other, you won't get anything.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

25 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Are you sure?

I find it a little hard to believe that a server, of all possible systems, doesn't have a PS/2 port.

EDIT: looked up the model, it makes a bit more sense now that I'm aware of it being a 1U rackmount. Still strange, but whatever. Was it working before you bought it?

Bought it off ebay. Said it was "tested and functional"

46 minutes ago, EstebanFPV said:

Bought it off ebay. Said it was "tested and functional"

Hmm.

I'm not too familiar with servers like yours, the only ones I've really messed with are towers.

You can try to update the BIOS. They have an online flash "ROMPaq" image available for download. There is a version for Linux so if you can then use that one. Be careful though because updating the BIOS can be risky if something goes wrong.

Also, make sure that you try a variety of keyboards. Gaming keyboards tend to have a high USB polling rate which many servers do not like. I have found that the cheapest/oldest and most basic keyboards seem to work best.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Thanks!

The only non-wireless keyboards i seem to have are 2006 mac keyboards. Not sure if this is the problem, so ill a wireless one and try that first.

Andy

Grabbed Mom's MK710. Works perfect! Thanks SOOO much for helping me!

Andy

1 hour ago, EstebanFPV said:

@HuskyIs there a guide for updating the BIOS?

Andy

There should be instructions included with the installer. Otherwise just follow the prompts. But now that you have a working keyboard you should maybe use the Windows (x64) version since it will probably be easier to flash.

3 minutes ago, EstebanFPV said:

Grabbed Mom's MK710. Works perfect! Thanks SOOO much for helping me!

Andy

If you are happy, you can mark the topic as solved by clicking "Best Answer" on the post you think helped you to get to a resolution in this thread.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM