Laptop won't connect to home WiFi network

YoungStarDCx

Hey everyone,

Seemingly out of the blue, my laptop won't connect to my home WiFi network any more. All other devices connect just fine, and a wired connection works properly too. My laptop also has no trouble connecting to other WiFi networks outside of my home, so it's only my home network which is giving me trouble.

When "connected", Windows indicates "No internet, secured". Running the Windows diagnostic tool gives me the error "wifi doesn't have a valid ip configuration". Another strange thing I noticed when logging into my router is that my laptop seems to be the only device being annotated with "static". All other devices are annotated with "DCHP".

My laptop is using an Intel AC 9560 wireless card. My router is a ASUS AX88U running the latest ASUSWRT Merlin 384.14 firmware. I've already tried the following steps:

• Using CMD to reset the IP configuration and netsh winsock.
  • Updating my drivers to the latest version
  • Turning my router on/off
  • Changing bands on the router
  • Resetting the network adapter
  • Disabling Firewall/Anti-Virus

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :D

I would go into the wi-fi settings on Windows and double check that it did actually reset the settings and switched it to DHCP for that wifi network. It sounds like you could have either: a static IP set up on the laptop and the router is just not having it or you have a static IP set on the laptop and a diffrent static IP assigned for the laptop on the router at the same time which causes a conflict.

19 minutes ago, Arttu89 said:

I would go into the wi-fi settings on Windows and double check that it did actually reset the settings and switched it to DHCP for that wifi network. It sounds like you could have either: a static IP set up on the laptop and the router is just not having it or you have a static IP set on the laptop and a diffrent static IP assigned for the laptop on the router at the same time which causes a conflict.

I just double checked. The only static IP I have assigned on my router is for my NAS. The laptop itself has been set to DHCP.

EDIT: I managed to fix it. Your comment gave me the idea to actually asign a static IP to my laptop, which I had not tried yet, and, it did the trick! Not sure what the issue was though.

4 hours ago, Arttu89 said:

I just realized that my solution will work at home, though when outside, I would have to revert to the standard DHCP settings. So, it isn't a good solution I'm afraid. 

3 hours ago, YoungStarDCx said:

I just realized that my solution will work at home, though when outside, I would have to revert to the standard DHCP settings. So, it isn't a good solution I'm afraid. 

You could try assigning a static IP to the laptop on the router, that way you can leave the laptop on DHCP wherever you go.

On 1/4/2020 at 10:52 PM, Arttu89 said:

You could try assigning a static IP to the laptop on the router, that way you can leave the laptop on DHCP wherever you go.

Except the problem is that DHCP is not working on that laptop on their home WiFi network.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7