Which programming language should I learn?

JanuS-1995

I already know a bit C++ and I would like to continue learning C++ but I will be taking C classes next year for my Electrical Engineering study. Besides that I would like to create an android app but than I need to learn java and I don't want to learn three languages.

Which one should I choose?

java would be the best for your use. 

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Java is a very useful to learn for mobile apps and web apps, but if you want to make a program with a complex UI, or a program that has to be installed to be used, focus on C/C++ because Java is very heavy and quite slow compared to C++ for that. It's all down to what kind of things you want to do later down the road.

Anyways, learning a new language isn't that hard once you know the logic behind programming. If you know how to think efficiently, have a good workflow and are a resourceful person, you'll have no problem learning Java or any other language later on. It might take a little getting used to, and you'll still be more experienced (and faster) with a certain language, but you'll be able to use both no worries.

I am taking that C classes = C# classes. I think it will be better learning C# to make it easier for yourself when you start studying Electrical Engineering.

Java C++ & PhP. I can help you with the basics. I use SublimeText for Java Coding & PhP Coding.

Cheese

I'd say go for Java, if you master C++ and java then you should be able to pretty learn any language at ease.

I told so many people this so many times  :mellow:

Java is an old platform. With languages like Ruby that are more simple, and good for professional web apps, then it should be something that you consider. 

I'd personally recommend that you learn Ruby, I have a few relatives whom are in the software industry, and they had spent years learning Java, and when they finally got the job, they were forced to learn Ruby.

Just a few thoughts. 

//ccap

By learning Java you can very easily adapt to other languages because the only thing that changes is syntax. Java has been around for ages, there are millions of tutorials online that you can use, plus you can make Android apps if you want with Java :)

I am taking that C classes = C# classes. I think it will be better learning C# to make it easier for yourself when you start studying Electrical Engineering.

I'm pretty sure he means C, as C is used quite often in Electrical Engineering because it's a tiny language to fit on the small amount of memory available on embedded systems. If not, I wouldn't really suggest C# over Java.

I'd say go for Java, if you master C++ and java then you should be able to pretty learn any language at ease.

I told so many people this so many times  :mellow:

^ This pretty much. if you're doing well with C++, stick at it. It's so widespread and a lot of people avoid it a lot today. Even at university we saw it for a semester only, and the rest of the time we were stuck with Java which is great, but if you really understand C/C++'s low-level mechanics, that'll help you in understanding how to control your Java program more for efficiency. Java is great for avoiding the low-level and focusing on Object-Oriented methods and design patterns. If you can study design patterns and the high-level software engineering through java, and then get a decent understanding of C++, you'll be pretty well set in the future. Other languages will come easy to you then.

Personally, I would choose Java, because you will get used to object oriented programming and will be able to faster dive in Android world.
If you are more interested in making software as fast light as possible, than I would suggest learning C, C++, etc, since Java is more for making sure that programs runs on all platforms and C is more for making sure that it runs fast on certain ones.
Personally, in my university, I have learned (sort of learned, you need years of experience in order to seriously master certain language) following languages in this order: Pascal (good and very simple language for absolute newbie who tries to understand what programming is, but it is very outdated), C, Assembly, C++, Java.

Stick to C++. It's probably one of the most versatile languages, and widely used. 

If you're feeling adventurous, you can look into Python as well. It's an interpreted language with countless third-party plugins to do just about anything you want with it. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2