Desktop Build - Non Gaming (Yikes!)

Frake34

Howdy Folks,

Primary Use: Web Browsing - Youtube - Family Plex Server - Super Lite Gaming - Beginner Video Editing I.E. Home videos recorded from phone.

Monitor: 31.5in  - 1080p - 1920x1080  -Single Monitor-

Currently using a HP Laptop connected to my monitor - '14 i3 4030u - 6gb RAM - etc - I've stripped windows down to the bare bones

and i'm quite surprised how well it does run for what I use it for - but multi tasking by any stretch is impossible.

So I feel anything at this point would be a quality upgrade for me!

So essentially I'm looking for the fastest desktop I can build for around $500.00USD

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($134.99 @ Walmart) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($110.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($77.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.50 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  ($55.88 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Walmart) 
Total: $494.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-02 17:22 EST-0500

So first time using PCpartpicker this is what I've currently come up with.  

I chose the MSI motherboard for future upgrade ability - is this a solid option?

Is the RAM proper speed for this processor?

Pay no mind to the case selected - it's just there as a $$ place holder.

I went with the 3400G APU - because I really don't think I have a need for a standalone GPU.

Should I stick with the APU or purchase a higher core processor like a R5 2600 - and purchase a used bargain GPU

Shew I think I've covered all the basics, all help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frake34 

Hey, your part list is pretty good, but for sure you will be better with R5 2600 + Used GPU. 2600 has 6 cores and 12 threads - it will give you a solid power and used gpu will probably be better than Ryzen's APU

CPU: i5-4590 | CPU Cooler: SPC Spartan LT HE922 | MOBO: ASRock H87 Fatal1ty | GPU: Gigabyte R9 280 3GB | RAM: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz | SSD: MX500 1TB | Case: SPC Armis AR7X | PSU: XFX TS550W | Custom Cables: Phanteks Extension Kit (White)

RAM speeds are good, Mobo is also a great one, MX500 is one of the better SSD's. Overally really good build ;)

CPU: i5-4590 | CPU Cooler: SPC Spartan LT HE922 | MOBO: ASRock H87 Fatal1ty | GPU: Gigabyte R9 280 3GB | RAM: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz | SSD: MX500 1TB | Case: SPC Armis AR7X | PSU: XFX TS550W | Custom Cables: Phanteks Extension Kit (White)

27 minutes ago, Frake34 said:

Power Supply: EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Walmart

With the corsair cx450 at only a few bucks more, hard to argue. This PSU is no good honestly, pretty crap operating temperature.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

34 minutes ago, xKr1Sx said:

RAM speeds are good, Mobo is also a great one, MX500 is one of the better SSD's. Overally really good build ;)

Thank you Sir! I've done a lot of unnecessary research on my recliner, in attempt to find the best value for the money.

If I was to go the R5 2600 + cheap GPU - Would I notice much of a difference in comparison to the 3400G - I do like to multi task - but most of my applications aren't intensive.

Not going to lie, I've always wanted a 6c processor - even tho I prob don't  (need?) it.

If I was to go that route - what cheap used GPU would you recommend for my non gaming needs lol. 

@Fasauceome 

Thanks for the suggestion - I've swapped out PSUs!

15 hours ago, Frake34 said:

Thank you Sir! I've done a lot of unnecessary research on my recliner, in attempt to find the best value for the money.

If I was to go the R5 2600 + cheap GPU - Would I notice much of a difference in comparison to the 3400G - I do like to multi task - but most of my applications aren't intensive.

Not going to lie, I've always wanted a 6c processor - even tho I prob don't  (need?) it.

Performance of R5 2600 is better than R5 3400G, these 4threads will give you some performance. I think that R5 2600 is a better bet.  

15 hours ago, Frake34 said:

If I was to go that route - what cheap used GPU would you recommend for my non gaming needs lol. 

I honestly don't know the prices of used GPU's so you have to check local marketplaces for some deals in your budget and then compare these GPUs