added 2nd SDD, can't boot

jeremymwilson

Hi all, I moved an SSD from one PC to another. The SSD contains files, not an OS. It was working fine in the other PC. I have used 2 different data power cables, tried 2 different sata motherboards ports and connected the cable to 2 different ports on the power supply. Same problem every time - when I turn the PC, it doesn't boot. The power light comes on but then everything stops - the fans don't turn and it doesn't post.

It is a Crucial 500gb SSD. I am connecting it to an Asus Tuf X570 board with a Seagate Prime 750w psu. I didn't format the drive before I swapped because I didn't think I would need to. The PC I am connecting it to used an nvme (Samsung 970) as boot drive. I can't get into the bios to check it with the SSD installed because of the error stated above.

Anyone seen this happen before?

Cheers

Love not hate

HI, 

Does it actually post without the drive? Can you reach the BIOS settings without it?

33 minutes ago, PhilipSalme99 said:

HI, 

Does it actually post without the drive? Can you reach the BIOS settings without it?

yes, it's fine when I disconnect the SSD and I went into the bios. is there any setting in there that would prevent another ssd being attached? never heard of anything like that:

Love not hate

Have you gone down the turn on all hot plug on all SATA ports in bios then try plugging it that way once window's is up, just a very fast idea that i have use before but looks like you post a lot so not going into to mutch depth in how to do it, only work's if MB support that option and i looking for a solution for something else and just read this one and just firering it out there good look

Maybe this has already been done but did you already check if the machine is set to boot from the first drive and not to boot from the drive you just plugged in?

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

11 hours ago, Eyebrows said:

Have you gone down the turn on all hot plug on all SATA ports in bios then try plugging it that way once window's is up, just a very fast idea that i have use before but looks like you post a lot so not going into to mutch depth in how to do it, only work's if MB support that option and i looking for a solution for something else and just read this one and just firering it out there good look

thanks, will look into this

Love not hate

8 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Maybe this has already been done but did you already check if the machine is set to boot from the first drive and not to boot from the drive you just plugged in?

it sounds like that could be what's happening but when i was in the bios it only listed my nvme boot drive. will look again but without the ssd attached, I can't tell the bios to not boot from it. catch 22

Love not hate