Will build PC this week. Would love to know your thoughts.

leon12321

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/leon12321/saved/8PnZf7

EDIT: Just updated my PC PART PICKER. 

Updates:

- Bought ASUS PRIME B450M-A motherboard since it has all of the functionalities I need and I'm kinda biased when it comes to ASUS products. 

- Bought THERMALTAKE VERSA H18 case since it has a front mesh panel for great air flow and is said to be fairly easy to build in from certain reports. 

- Swapped 2X8 GB 3000MHZ for 2X4 GB 3000 MHZ since I won't do much multitasking and I will have two spare DIMM slots so if the time is right, I'll buy additional 3000MHZ 4GB sticks. 

Edited by leon12321
Bought stuff from list and made minor adjustments to build.

For anyone too lazy to click the link:

The build looks fine to me, would change a few things though

I'd prefer a Thermaltake Versa H15, superior airflow due to front panel mesh

3200MHz RAM shouldn't be too expensive, would provide slight performance increase

Also, why only 150Mbps Wifi Adapter, and why an external dongle instead of PCIe card?

if you can you should really try to extend your budget and get a bigger SSD.

Not only will it be faster but also 120GB are very limited and after a while you will run out of space.

5 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Ah cool, thanks. I didn't see the Thermaltake Versa. 

3200MHz RAM shouldn't be too expensive, would provide slight performance increase

The one you chose is out of stock. All of the 16GB 3200MHz RAM I can find are all FAIRLY expensive, most costing >10 quid more. 

Also, why only 150Mbps Wifi Adapter, and why an external dongle instead of PCIe card?

My WIFI's internet speed is 36 down and 3.6 up so I figured I don't need an overkill PCIe card, like the Gigabyte one you found. 

10 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

if you can you should really try to extend your budget and get a bigger SSD.

Not only will it be faster but also 120GB are very limited and after a while you will run out of space.

I plan to use the 120GB SSD only for OS, frequently used applications and games. 

I intend to use the 1TB and 250GB hard drive for everything else, videos, extra games, photos, more software etc.

7 minutes ago, leon12321 said:
19 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Now that I think about it, should I just get the Fractal Design Focus G Mini instead of the Versa H15 since they both have a front panel mesh?

18 minutes ago, leon12321 said:

The one you chose is out of stock. All of the 16GB 3200MHz RAM I can find are all FAIRLY expensive, most costing >10 quid more. 

My WIFI's internet speed is 36 down and 3.6 up so I figured I don't need an overkill PCIe card, like the Gigabyte one you found. 

Alright, 3000MHz should be fine.

Would still recommend a cheaper PCIe card for much lower latency. From my experience a 100Mbps PCIe card was smoother than a 1Gbps USB dongle because of latencies that come with using USB

9 minutes ago, leon12321 said:

Now that I think about it, should I just get the Fractal Design Focus G Mini instead of the Versa H15 since they both have a front panel mesh?

UTY, both should have good airflow. 

17 minutes ago, leon12321 said:

I plan to use the 120GB SSD only for OS, frequently used applications and games. 

I intend to use the 1TB and 250GB hard drive for everything else, videos, extra games, photos, more software etc.

For now you can stick to this, but tbh I'd get a 500GB SSD down the road, helps so much when loading into games etc. More of a QOL improvement than an absolute necessity though, if you can wait during longer wait times and stuff.

3 hours ago, leon12321 said:

yea that exactly how everyone thinks but just windows and a few programs alone will fill 50GB instantly.

add one single AAA game and its full.

i tried the same thing with a small SSD and it just didnt work in the long run.

On 12/30/2019 at 12:16 PM, _d0nut said:

UTY, both should have good airflow. 

Just bought the Thermaltake Versa H18 instead. It has a front mesh and it was only 33 quid on Amazon. Great bargain imo. 

21 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

yea that exactly how everyone thinks but just windows and a few programs alone will fill 50GB instantly.

add one single AAA game and its full.

i tried the same thing with a small SSD and it just didnt work in the long run.

On 12/30/2019 at 12:19 PM, _d0nut said:

For now you can stick to this, but tbh I'd get a 500GB SSD down the road, helps so much when loading into games etc. More of a QOL improvement than an absolute necessity though, if you can wait during longer wait times and stuff.

When it goes on sale, around 30 quid, then I'll 100% buy the 500GB SSD but for now I'll stick with my NVME and HDD. 

The asus b450m-a is one of the worst possible motherboards. It will have difficulties running your cpu and being hot and there is almost no chance of overclocking. Any chance you can return it?

40 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

If you're set on asus micro atx go for this one instead

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/y3prxr/asus-tuf-b450m-pro-gaming-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-b450m-pro-gaming

Otherwise go for msi mortar or gaming plus

I don't have money to spend on gaming plus, motor or pro gaming and I'm fine without having to overclock.

11 minutes ago, leon12321 said:

I don't have money to spend on gaming plus, motor or pro gaming and I'm fine without having to overclock.

maybe try to get the asrock b450m pro4? heard good things about it

Just now, _d0nut said:

maybe try to get the asrock b450m pro4? heard good things about it

It's 20 quid more expensive than the b450m-a and as far as I am concerned, it has many of the same specifications compared to the ASUS mobo, not worth.

2 minutes ago, leon12321 said:

It's 20 quid more expensive than the b450m-a and as far as I am concerned, it has many of the same specifications compared to the ASUS mobo, not worth.

Ah didn't know it was that expensive. That ASUS motherboard should be fine with decent airflow.