Ryzen 3000 Ram Overclocking 2 different dies

Hey all,

I have a Asus Prime X-470 Pro motherboard, with a ryzen 7 3800X, and 32GB (4 x 8GB) of G.skill Trident Z Royal 3200Mhz CL16.

I am trying to overclock the ram to about 3600MHz or maybe 3800Mhz, but upon checking Thaiphoon i found out that 2 of my sticks are Samsung B-dies and 2 are Hynix C-die,

Is it still possible to overclock without any issues? If so how should i proceed? use the C-dies as the base for timings? Since they are the "bottleneck".

Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance!

i'd remove the Hynix, in exactly 0 situations do you need more then 16gb for gaming, we aren't even near breaching that threshold yet so likely won't be for a long long while. 

Say you didn't do this though, you could run based off the best timings & speed the Hynix ram could perform, but its likely not worth it, at all, and won't be anytime soon.  Games don't use that much ram, they just use enough 8gb isn't always feasible, as in like 8.5-9.5gb, including multiple backround tasks many people leave (but shouldn't) open in backround. 

Here is some examples of best of, manual tuning
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dsu9K1Nt_7apHBdiy0MWVPcYjf6nOlr9CtkkfN78tSo/edit#gid=527992713

Likewise if you want to use Ryzen Dram Calculator, and use Hynix setting (or B-die if you remove the hynix), make sure not to skip step where you set it to nanoseconds and export to full HTML, import it into XMP for the calulator, everybody misses that step, the calculator likely won't work correctly at all without that. 

Quick, timestamped example since lots of people miss this step, then are like rabble rabble rabble, WHY RYZEN DRAM CALCULATOR NO WORK, rabble rabble

On 12/26/2019 at 11:07 PM, Otto_iii said:

i'd remove the Hynix, in exactly 0 situations do you need more then 16gb for gaming, we aren't even near breaching that threshold yet so likely won't be for a long long while. 

Say you didn't do this though, you could run based off the best timings & speed the Hynix ram could perform, but its likely not worth it, at all, and won't be anytime soon.  Games don't use that much ram, they just use enough 8gb isn't always feasible, as in like 8.5-9.5gb, including multiple backround tasks many people leave (but shouldn't) open in backround. 

Here is some examples of best of, manual tuning
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dsu9K1Nt_7apHBdiy0MWVPcYjf6nOlr9CtkkfN78tSo/edit#gid=527992713

Likewise if you want to use Ryzen Dram Calculator, and use Hynix setting (or B-die if you remove the hynix), make sure not to skip step where you set it to nanoseconds and export to full HTML, import it into XMP for the calulator, everybody misses that step, the calculator likely won't work correctly at all without that. 

Quick, timestamped example since lots of people miss this step, then are like rabble rabble rabble, WHY RYZEN DRAM CALCULATOR NO WORK, rabble rabble

Unfortunately I, so need the RAM as some games i run are heavily modded and require a stupid amount of ram to run properly (i.e. cities skyline with mods goes to about 20+ GB of ram)

Thanks for the advice!