Home server for games

Hey everyone I am thinking of finally getting a pc that will act as a server from a previous thread I had talking about a real server. This would be used to host game servers such as minecraft,ark, arma 3 and anything else I'd want. Does anyone else have any suggestions from this build?  please and thank you .

$735.92

Probably won't need to get the graphics card since i do have  11xK2000 from work that i can just put in since i don't need a video card for anything really.

thoughts?

2 minutes ago, bobbybdennis said:

Hey everyone I am thinking of finally getting a pc that will act as a server from a previous thread I had talking about a real server. This would be used to host game servers such as minecraft,ark, arma 3 and anything else I'd want. Does anyone else have any suggestions from this build?  please and thank you .

$735.92

Probably won't need to get the graphics card since i do have  11xK2000 from work that i can just put in since i don't need a video card for anything really.

thoughts?

look at the max model motherboard for ryzen 3000 support out of box. also look at the ryzen 9 for more cores.
Get the 1650 super gpu because low power gpu are an awful value and are only good for adding more video ports and nothing else
personal gripe but do not give intel money for their low quality ssd,

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

2 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

look at the max model motherboard for ryzen 3000 support out of box. also look at the ryzen 9 for more cores.
Get the 1650 super gpu because low power gpu are an awful value and are only good for adding more video ports and nothing else

so for the video card I have old ones from an old architect client we had replaced their GPUs so ill probably just use one of those for setting up initially then just put teamviewer on there unattended access for everyday access.... if its just going to be running  low CPU usage things do you think i should really look at ryzen 9? im trying to keep this cost on the lower end.

1 minute ago, Jumballi said:

If all it needs to do is power a monitor though the 1650S seems overpowered.  The ryzen2 CPUs need A video card because they have no apu.  There are $5 used video cards that could do the job of providing basic video though.  Just a question of finding a model that has been manufactured recently enough to remain updated. Or he could run it headless with no video at all since it’s a server.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, bobbybdennis said:

so for the video card I have old ones from an old architect client we had replaced their GPUs so ill probably just use one of those for setting up initially then just put teamviewer on there unattended access for everyday access.... if its just going to be running  low CPU usage things do you think i should really look at ryzen 9? im trying to keep this cost on the lower end.

arma loves single core speed and the ryzen 9 improves that.
You can run more instances of a game or virtual machines if you're into that more efficiently as well.
former coworkers of mine would run all their game servers in a virtual machine so that they could start them up more efficiently,

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

I don’t know how low cpu usage it would be.  Minecraft likes fast single core a lot.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know how low cpu usage it would be.  Minecraft likes fast single core a lot.

minecraft probably wont even be one of the servers it was more an example, right now im running servers on my gaming pc. i7-7820x ,2080ti, 64gb ram, 1000w psu.. and when playing ark and hosting the server i get about 30% cpu usage and when streaming at the same time its about 55%  which is why i figured the 8 core ryzen 7 would be enough since im using 8 cores now

minecraft probably wont even be one of the servers it was more an example, right now im running servers on my gaming pc. i7-7820x ,2080ti, 64gb ram, 1000w psu.. and when playing ark and hosting the server i get about 30% cpu usage and when streaming at the same time its about 55%  which is why i figured the 8 core ryzen 7 would be enough since im using 8 cores now

You you plan to have 1 game on at a time, don't spend more that you need, the intel i3-9350k(expensive mobo) or ryzen 5-3600 will be more than enough for the single core performance. But if you plan to leave it on 24/7 with multiple games running at once, then the ryzen 9 becomes a more realistic choice.

You you plan to have 1 game on at a time, don't spend more that you need, the intel i3-9350k(expensive mobo) or ryzen 5-3600 will be more than enough for the single core performance. But if you plan to leave it on 24/7 with multiple games running at once, then the ryzen 9 becomes a more realistic choice.

So the plan right now is i have 5 military buddies, we play the same game for a couple months and go on to another and eventually get back to the starting one.. right now its ARK. i been running it on my gaming pc which is more overpowered for anything than it needs.. but i had a crash error today and i don't wanna keep running this one 24/7.  Would you say the build i have is good enough for 1 game at a time? 

18 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

The 1650 would be a huge waste of money. It's a server, so the graphics would only ever need to show a console.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

1 minute ago, ThatFlashCat said:

The 1650 would be a huge waste of money. It's a server, so the graphics would only ever need to show a console.

yea, I planned on not getting a GPU since i have ones from an old client PC rebuild I did they are old GPUs used in CAD machines, shoudl be good enough to put a display on a monitor lol  hows the rest of it look though?

1 minute ago, bobbybdennis said:

yea, I planned on not getting a GPU since i have ones from an old client PC rebuild I did they are old GPUs used in CAD machines, shoudl be good enough to put a display on a monitor lol  hows the rest of it look though?

I’m worried about the age of these CAD cards.  Windows10 automatic updates has a way of making old hardware suddenly break even new machines

6 minutes ago, bobbybdennis said:

So the plan right now is i have 5 military buddies, we play the same game for a couple months and go on to another and eventually get back to the starting one.. right now its ARK. i been running it on my gaming pc which is more overpowered for anything than it needs.. but i had a crash error today and i don't wanna keep running this one 24/7.  Would you say the build i have is good enough for 1 game at a time? 

by current build do you mean the one you're using or plan to build?

if it's your current pc, you're entering the area where time shows and all those updates start to hamper the cpu, it should still be good for another year unless you guys do heavy mods.

if it's your planned build, it's essentially overkill for a single game server

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m worried about the age of these CAD cards.  Windows10 automatic updates has a way of making old hardware suddenly break even new machines

some of them are K2000s and the other is w7000 firepro, they were pulled out of machines that had windows 10 on them already, so i think i might go with this build minus that case, kinda wanna get something a tad bigger

by current build do you mean the one you're using or plan to build?

if it's your current pc, you're entering the area where time shows and all those updates start to hamper the cpu, it should still be good for another year unless you guys do heavy mods.

if it's your planned build, it's essentially overkill for a single game server

overkill is what I want lol,  the pc i have now is i7-7820x , 2080ti, 64gb ram, 2x m.2 1tb, and i mainly play runescape and csgo or ark. I just wanna make sure I'm getting something decent to overkill so i dont have to worry about it for awhile. I've never done an AMD build so this is why i have so many questions, but it came recommended 

Just now, bobbybdennis said:

overkill is what I want lol,  the pc i have now is i7-7820x , 2080ti, 64gb ram, 2x m.2 1tb, and i mainly play runescape and csgo or ark. I just wanna make sure I'm getting something decent to overkill so i dont have to worry about it for awhile. I've never done an AMD build so this is why i have so many questions, but it came recommended 

if you got the money and want the years, the grab the amd r9-3950x for your personal rig, and then swap the intel stuff for the server instead. The intel cpu should still offer very decent single core speed for your one game server to last a few years.

Just now, Jumballi said:

if you got the money and want the years, the grab the amd r9-3950x for your personal rig, and then swap the intel stuff for the server instead. The intel cpu should still offer very decent single core speed for your one game server to last a few years.

Yea im not looking to spend $800 on a new CPU, im just gonna change the case and the storage. I want to keep it between $700-900 

3 minutes ago, bobbybdennis said:

Yea im not looking to spend $800 on a new CPU, im just gonna change the case and the storage. I want to keep it between $700-900 

well you're certainly not going wrong, I hope that it all works well.

Just now, Jumballi said:

well you're certainly not going wrong, I hope that it all works well.

Lol thank you, always wanna get that 2nd 3rd and 58th opinion on things before i commit to it. But i think i should be fine with what i have its literally gonna be 1 game at a time being ran. when my current PC is idle and running ark server manager i barley hit 8% so this should be ok