Quick GPU question

Bop

Hi so I today just got a GTX 1070 8GB card for Christmas, and I was using a 1060 6GB prior to this. So my question is, can I run both these cards at the same time without like fucking up anything?

To be clear, I'm using the 1070 for gaming and to run all my monitors, and the 1060 is going to be used for the soul purpose of running my Oculus Rift. I have a big enough power supply and have ordered a few more fans for my PC because I needed them, but besides that. It's working right now as I write this. I just want to know if I say go to play on my Rift is it suddenly just going to perform awful and not work well. Or should It work perfectly and I would only see a slight decrease in power because it's not in the main PCI-E slot of the board.

Thanks for any replies and I can further explain anything if you guys need it. Merry Christmas!

Uh, why would you do this? I would use the rift in the 1070... its going to perform better.

Technically, you can do what you suggest, but, I have no idea why you would. Just sell the 1060 for ~100 bucks and be happy :). lol. Maybe 80 bucks, or give it to a friend. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

2 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Uh, why would you do this? I would use the rift in the 1070... its going to perform better.

Technically, you can do what you suggest, but, I have no idea why you would. Just sell the 1060 for ~100 bucks and be happy :). lol. Maybe 80 bucks, or give it to a friend. 

4 minutes ago, DobertRownySr said:

Why not just sell the 1060 and only use the 1070? The 1070 would run VR much smoother.

1 of my monitors is still HDMI, and the rift is also HDMI. This is more of a ease of access thing. Currently if I want to play, I have to unplug a cable, plug in another, make sure the cable doesn't fall, and then go from there. Of course I could just plug the HDMI of the monitor into the 1060, but it's whatever.

Either way it's a 6GB card, and I've never maxed it out while playing VR, I play Beatsaber, VRChat, and like Pokerstars. So I really don't play anything like triple A in VR lmao

1 minute ago, Bop said:

1 of my monitors is still HDMI, and the rift is also HDMI. This is more of a ease of access thing. Currently if I want to play, I have to unplug a cable, plug in another, make sure the cable doesn't fall, and then go from there. Of course I could just plug the HDMI of the monitor into the 1060, but it's whatever.

Either way it's a 6GB card, and I've never maxed it out while playing VR, I play Beatsaber, VRChat, and like Pokerstars. So I really don't play anything like triple A in VR lmao

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DisplayPort-HDMI-Cable-Feet/dp/B015OW3M1W

That is a DP to HDMI cord. Use this for your monitor, and plug the rift into the HDMI of the 1070. Seriously, why run a card that is much slower for VR? I have a rift and a 1080, and it wasn't even "enough". My 2080 finally is enough to turn details in games up and keep it pegged at 90 FPS as the rift uses 90hz panels. And then sell the 1060 for whatever the going price is.

Either way, definitely don't plug your rift into the 1060 if you have a 1070, thats just.... silly.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

I'm sure there is some way to configure a OS to run 2 cards independently (running windows VM via linus?), but it would be a lot of work and much more complex then just buying a cable adaptor and selling the 1060 while it still has some decent value on used market

If you meant SLI, there might be some games that support it, but likely many won't, so you would likely be cutting into your game library, in games that may support it can also have some visual issues which would really stand out in VR.  Sorry but so far as practicality and value goes, its just not worth it.  Gift your 1060 to a buddy who needs it if you are feeling festive and charitable,