High Temp on GTX 1080 ti with Kraken G12

MajorZ

Hi there,

so i installed Corsair H80i v2 on my GTX 1080 ti with the Kraken G12, i was following this guide :

But when i started the pc and seen the temp is 62c and when i start a game the temp goes to 93c, i have applied Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease Paste but i dont know what is wrong. any suggestion on how to fix this ?

Note: i came to an issue where one of the two fans of the radiator will hit in the CPU cooler because of the limited space inside the case so i installed only one fan

image.jpeg

bad mounting pressure sounds like the cause. Re-mount the cooler and make sure its on there and making good contact. I bet when you pull it off, you wont have much spread of the thermal paste.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

13 minutes ago, MajorZ said:

Hi there,

so i installed Corsair H80i v2 on my GTX 1080 ti with the Kraken G12, i was following this guide :

But when i started the pc and seen the temp is 62c and when i start a game the temp goes to 93c, i have applied Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease Paste but i dont know what is wrong. any suggestion on how to fix this ?

Note: i came to an issue where one of the two fans of the radiator will hit in the CPU cooler because of the limited space inside the case so i installed only one fan

image.jpeg

Even with one fan you shouldn’t hit that temps. Only thing which I can think of is that you didn’t put enough pressure and cooler is not making enough contact with gpu die. Try to take it apart and double check everything once more. When you open it and take off cooler check how’s the thermal spread on die and block. 

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

thank you all, i will take everything apart today and wipe off the thermal past and do it again

Ok so i took everything and re-installed it back, now the normal temp is 29c - 36c which is good, but once i launch a game the temp goes to 85c.

Below images when i opened up the screws and before i wipe off the thermal paste:

Ueeqrdx.jpg
EvomKUI.jpg

and this is after cleaning with alcohol and kim wipes

NJOoVE4.jpg

the way i applied the thermal paste:

wdBCpbT.jpg

and finally after the assembly:

NHDGjJK.jpg

please let me know what do you think is the cause for this ?

1 hour ago, MajorZ said:

please let me know what do you think is the cause for this

Well it looks like the contact between gpu and block is alright. How did you connected the pump and the fan ?? 

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

In what position is your radiator mounted? I had some weird issues with the same cooler when mounted on top of the case. After moving it to the front temps got down for 50c. Maybe kink in the tubes,idk...

57 minutes ago, filippalfi said:

In what position is your radiator mounted? I had some weird issues with the same cooler when mounted on top of the case. After moving it to the front temps got down for 50c. Maybe kink in the tubes,idk...

ok this got fixed after i replaced the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease Paste with ARCTIC MX-4 Thermal Compound, the radiator is mounted in the back of the case and i managed to fix the 2nd fan in the outside of the case. On idle i get gpu temp 27c - 30c, and when i launch game the temp doesnt go beyond 54c 

23 minutes ago, MajorZ said:

ok this got fixed after i replaced the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease Paste with ARCTIC MX-4 Thermal Compound, the radiator is mounted in the back of the case and i managed to fix the 2nd fan in the outside of the case. On idle i get gpu temp 27c - 30c, and when i launch game the temp doesnt go beyond 54c 

Those temps sound good! Glad u fixed it! :)