Quietest GPU for a 400€ budget?

cifroes

I was thinking of getting an 1660 Super but my budget got a bit increased and now I can pay around 400€ or a bit more but I want a GPU that is not extremely loud since that bothers me very much.

Contenders in my country, for this budget, are 1660 Super, 1660 Ti, RTX 2060, 2060 Super, AMD 5700XT, 5700, 5500 XT. 

I clearly understand the difference in performance between all of those, what I need is some advice on noise levels because I prefer to trim down a bit on game quality than to get a huge, noisy GPU that gets me mad when I'm not playing which is 80% of my time on the computer :)

Any advice you can give?

GPU noise level is highly dependant on your case cooling. If you chose it, any GPU will ramp up and sound like a jet engine.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

11 minutes ago, cifroes said:

I was thinking of getting an 1660 Super but my budget got a bit increased and now I can pay around 400€ or a bit more but I want a GPU that is not extremely loud since that bothers me very much.

Contenders in my country, for this budget, are 1660 Super, 1660 Ti, RTX 2060, 2060 Super, AMD 5700XT, 5700, 5500 XT. 

I clearly understand the difference in performance between all of those, what I need is some advice on noise levels because I prefer to trim down a bit on game quality than to get a huge, noisy GPU that gets me mad when I'm not playing which is 80% of my time on the computer :)

Any advice you can give?

Buy any gpu you want but get one with a really good cooler. For example, EVGA makes several models of the same GPU but some have better coolers. I believe their FTW lineup has the best cooling. You'll see EVGA, Gigabyte, Asus, MSI etc all do this. The more expensive models of the same GPU should have better coolers, but you can compare - typically the more fans and the bigger the heatsink the better. Watch youtube reviews to see for sure, I think Gamers Nexus measures loudness 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

If you look it up you can see that 1660Super, rx5500 and 1660Ti do have a significantly lower tdp than the other 3 cards mentioned. While usually none of the cards mentioned should be noisy as long as your not using their potential, the rtx 2060 and rx5700(xt) are getting hot and do overheat in certain conditions and setups when under load.

1 hour ago, cifroes said:

Any advice you can give?

I believe some card have 0 rpm mode when not under load (under some temps) but not sure which ones. I can do some research tmrw if you want

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

1 hour ago, Sir0Tek said:

If you look it up you can see that 1660Super, rx5500 and 1660Ti do have a significantly lower tdp than the other 3 cards mentioned. While usually none of the cards mentioned should be noisy as long as your not using their potential, the rtx 2060 and rx5700(xt) are getting hot and do overheat in certain conditions and setups when under load.

thank you, that is exactly what I'm afraid of, buying a 2060 or RX5700 just because I have the money now and it's more powerful but then being annoyed by it because they are jet engine like.

A few years ago all my friends had 400~500€ GPUs and they were very annoying to use.  

I know from some sites that measure noise that RX5700(XT) is much worse than RTX2060 but I don't know is the real world experience: if the 2060 would still be annoying and I should get a 1660 because of much lower TDP or if 2060 is still pretty much OK if I get a good one.

Related to a good GPU, it's a bit annoying: I can get an Asus TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 6GB for 340€  but the cheapest 0DB RTX 2060 is at 390€ for Asus GeForce RTX 2060 Dual 6GB OC.

Noise is really important for me but 50€ still stings a bit 'just' for better fans.

2 hours ago, AntiTrust said:

Buy any gpu you want but get one with a really good cooler. For example, EVGA makes several models of the same GPU but some have better coolers. I believe their FTW lineup has the best cooling. You'll see EVGA, Gigabyte, Asus, MSI etc all do this. The more expensive models of the same GPU should have better coolers, but you can compare - typically the more fans and the bigger the heatsink the better. Watch youtube reviews to see for sure, I think Gamers Nexus measures loudness 

Thanks, that's a good idea.

Does anyone know the 'cheapest' GPU lines that have 0db technology from Gigabyte, MSI, Zotac and Asus (those are the brands the store I want to buy has) ?

From Asus, at least on RTX 2060 it seems it's the Asus GeForce RTX 2060 Dual 6GB OC.

MSI: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming Z 6G

Gigabyte: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro 6GB

5 hours ago, cifroes said:

Thanks, that's a good idea.

Does anyone know the 'cheapest' GPU lines that have 0db technology from Gigabyte, MSI, Zotac and Asus (those are the brands the store I want to buy has) ?

From Asus, at least on RTX 2060 it seems it's the Asus GeForce RTX 2060 Dual 6GB OC.

MSI: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming Z 6G

Gigabyte: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro 6GB

From the video above it looks like you want to get a Gigabyte Gaming (3Fan)

If you can afford it, its worth it to get a 2060 Super instead of a regular 2060 as well. 2060 super performs close to a 2070 non super and on sale you can get them pretty near the price of a regular 2060. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

If you go 5700 series i'd recommend PowerColor, that is all i can recommend for that, likely Red Devil series for noise.  Consistently PowerColor has had good thermals, with practical default fan curves that keep the card inaudible if not under hard load.  For 2060 Super etc couldn't tell you.  

Worse case for any card, setup a reasonable fan curve yourself either in MSI Afterburner for Nvidea cards, or Wattman for AMD cards. 

A related doubt: if the card supports '0db' technology, is it gonna be the same having a 1660 super or a RTX 2060 when doing non-gaming work in terms of noise, right? they both will have fans off basically, or not?