Laptop for coding

Tea1337

I am looking for a laptop to bring along with my to school. My current laptop the sager 7330 is really nice and lightweight, but I need something that doesn't run so hot and doesn't have a dedicated GPU. The sager is more of play games on the couch and at a friends. The laptop can't be any bigger than 15", at least 256gb of ssd/hdd space. I would prefer for it to have a good quadcore CPU, the most graphic intensive this thing will do is idle on minecraft. Backlit keyboard if possible. Price range is about $700-$825.

Keep in mind it's going to pretty much go everywhere with me, weight doesn't matter. Just needs to be a decent laptop with good build quality.

The macbook air meets al of your requirements.

You might be able to get it for that price with a student discount depending where you live.

Do you mind swapping out the stock hdd for a ssd?

CPU: Intel 3570k (4.3) MOBO: Asrock z77 extreme6 GPU: Gigabyte Windforce HD 7970 RAM: 4x4 Gb Samsung Ultra Low Profile DDR3-1600mhz CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD (Boot), 3TB Seagate Barracuda Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (black)  PSU: Corsair TX750M  Peripherals: Rosewill

rk-9000, Gigabyte M8000x, Sennheiser PX 200-II, Asus VS247H-P 23.6" 1080p TN panel

Do you mind swapping out the stock hdd for a ssd?

nope, wouldn't be too hard to do.

The macbook air meets al of your requirements.

You might be able to get it for that price with a student discount depending where you live.

Didn't think of that, I will look into and see if i can get it down to at least $850

Here are a few possible options.

- The Thinkpad Edge 3531 is a solid laptop, though a bit dated. Again, only an HDD, but the upgrade would be fairly simple. Has an i7. Unfortunately, it's resolution is a poor 1366x768. Price : $700

- The Asus Vivobook v500 is another ultrabook, with a HDD, i7, and a touchscreen. Very solid build quality. However, at $800, there is little opportunity for an ssd upgrade.

- Dell offers their i5535, which seems like a development name that was never dropped. It is the slowest of the laptops discussed so far, but also the cheapest at $590. Again, a swap is needed. No image available on newegg, but I saw some others elsewhere

- From Lenovo, here is a somewhat, nay, very thick beast (wink wink). However, it is $630 for an i7 and solid build quality. On sale at the moment.

- Lenovo has some others on sale at the moment that do deserve a glance. Note here, here, and here.

- Acer offers a few others, such as this, and this. They seem to have a lot of variants at that price point.

Finally, I haven't mentioned any HP's because of their extremely lacking build quality, but that is an option if you want it. If you can get the Macbook air for your price with a discount, go for it. It would be great, even if you have to buy a windows key for it.

Hope that was some help.

CPU: Intel 3570k (4.3) MOBO: Asrock z77 extreme6 GPU: Gigabyte Windforce HD 7970 RAM: 4x4 Gb Samsung Ultra Low Profile DDR3-1600mhz CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD (Boot), 3TB Seagate Barracuda Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (black)  PSU: Corsair TX750M  Peripherals: Rosewill

rk-9000, Gigabyte M8000x, Sennheiser PX 200-II, Asus VS247H-P 23.6" 1080p TN panel