Reduce laptop performance to reduce overheat

Hi everyone :)

I'm having a small issue with my laptop but it's nothing major and I feel like finding a workaround by myself^^

I'd like to set the cpu and/or gpu max usage to a lower point in order to avoid some overheating issues I've had. For instance in CSGO my laptop tends to blue screen after around an hour of play (the exact time varies a lot though) due to my pc outputting over 200 fps and making the pc run at 100% (and eventually overheat) for extra meaningless (to me) performance. I run the game at the lowest graphics anyway (I don't mind the looks too much) and the obvious solution to this problem is to set a fps cap at 120 (and that worked and works great). However I've ran into the same issue playing other games (the new COD and Anthem come to my mind) and I would like to ensure it doesn't happen there anymore (esecially since it's not as easy in these games to set fps caps or in the case of COD the cap is basically a joke XD).

To make it clear, I'd like help to find a game-agnostic solution to slow down my pc to keep temps below 90°C (if not below 70/80°C).

Thank you very much for your help and time everyone :)!!

Additional info :

I'm on a laptop and the BIOS is a joke (very few things you can tweak and nothing performance related at all)

Also I couldn't find anything on the NVidia software (I may have missed it/not have looked in the right place)

CPU : i5 8300H

GPU : GTX 1060 maxQ 3Gb

RAM 16 Gb (2666 MHz - 2 x 8Gb)

If you run MSI Afterburner (or other GPU overclocking software) you can lower the power and/or thermal limits which could help there.

Similarly you can see if Intel XTU will let you do similar for the CPU. I think a power and/or thermal limit is a better way to go than clock reduction as you still get close to peak performance under less intense workloads. Voltage reduction is something that seems popular amongst some enthusiasts but personally I'm too lazy to do that kind of stability testing.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

CLean dust. repaste the thermal with like Artic Silver, etc. 

Undervolting CPU. Reduce the memory and core clock of gpu with MSI Afterburner. and for the last go to setting and limit your Maximum Cpu power ; on power plan setting > advance > proccesor

i use this and i reduce heat 13-15C. but i need to lower res to 720P to make it more cooler and stable frame rate. my gpu is MX150 so you would be fine.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

Thanks for the answers guys!

I forgot to mention my laptop is only 4 months old and I've taken apart the back to upgrade my RAM to 16Gb multiple times (and thus dust is not an issue^^)

But thanks for the concern nonetheless!

I'll look into Afterburner and XTU, thanks for that^^.

So after looking into it a bit I haven't found a way to put a limit in either software :

In MSI Afterburner, the "Temp Limit" option is greyed out (and so are "Core Voltage" and "Power Limit"). I could lower the core clock and/or memory clock but I'd rather try to find a way to make it only happen when temps get above a threshold^^

In the Intel XTU, I can't find any option pertaining to temperature :/

Any help will be immensly appreciated :)!!