Wow my NAS is slow

prolemur

I'm just backing up my files from my hard drive onto my nas at ~10MB/s wirelessly which isn't too bad (might get powerline/move network into my room).

I am now moving my private backup movies and music to the public media folder for others in my household to use but it is only copying the 2 sets of files at a max speed of 5MB/s (in total, not each).

Why is it so slow now when it's not to do with wireless?

What if it IS to do with wireless? Or your router/whatever the hell you use is bad at handling the loads for transferring information.

My guess is the CPU inside the NAS is just that slow. Or it is the wireless. Have you tried it on a wired connection?

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

What if it IS to do with wireless? Or your router/whatever the hell you use is bad at handling the loads for transferring information.

It could be this.

It could also just be your NAS. Please give NAS specifications.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well I'm just copying a file located on the nas to another directory on the nas as well. The only thing I am doing wirelessly is teeling it what to do.

My guess is the CPU inside the NAS is just that slow. Or it is the wireless. Have you tried it on a wired connection?

I haven't tried it with a wired connection, but ill try doing this and get back to you.

It could be this.

It could also just be your NAS. Please give NAS specifications.

It's a readynasv2 with a 2tb seagate 7200rpm hdd.

Well I'm just copying a file located on the nas to another directory on the nas as well. The only thing I am doing wirelessly is teeling it what to do.

It's a readynasv2 with a 2tb seagate 7200rpm hdd.

Is it one drive or two? The NAS hardware itself might also be slow.

Is it one drive or two? The NAS hardware itself might also be slow.

A single drive, I have updated to the latest version of the software.. Is there a way I can test read speeds because maybe it just sucks at writing?

A single drive, I have updated to the latest version of the software.. Is there a way I can test read speeds because maybe it just sucks at writing?

You could plop the drive in your computer and run a hdd benchmarking software on it?

You could plop the drive in your computer and run a hdd benchmarking software on it?

I'll try doing this wired first, because that drive's staying in my nas and I doubt anything is wrong with it though.