New CPU advice

Creaky

I’m in the process of building a new SFF server mainly for plex but may also run a couple of virtual machines on it and not sure which CPU to get.

i have a max of 4 users for plex all streaming 1080p content, transcoding is rarely used.

im building the system in a Asrock deskmini 310 so the TDP for the CPU is a max of 65w.

any suggestions for the best CPU to use? The system will have 32gb of ddr4 which I already have.

I've seen the r5 3600 used in budget server/virtual machines. also the r7 2700 is super cheap though nowadays since it's in the bargain bin, has 8 cores which may also be helpful for those vm.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

3 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

I've seen the r5 3600 used in budget server/virtual machines. also the r7 2700 is super cheap though nowadays since it's in the bargain bin, has 8 cores which may also be helpful for those vm.

Yup, but that wont work in his box. he needs intel socket 1151v2 parts 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

in that case i7-8700 not k, but if you can find an oem i7-8700T, even better.

Edit: my source
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/H310.html

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

5 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

in that case i7-8700 not k, but if you can find an oem i7-8700T, even better.

Edit: my source
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/H310.html

Sometimes T-models  can be found cheap on the used market when Lage corporations throwout machines or salvage dead machines and sell of the parts 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

since intel can retain it's high end price for a while, it still might be cheaper to get a new mobo and the r7-2700, since everything inside should still be compatible with the new parts usually

If you plan to run VMs more cores becomes more important than faster cores. I believe the oppose is true for PLEX though. 4C/8T is what I would recommend as a minimum. You can choose one that stays under your 65W TDP limit.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

If you plan to run VMs more cores becomes more important than faster cores. I believe the oppose is true for PLEX though. I don't think any CPU available on the LGA1151 socket goes over 4C/8T but I would recommend that as a minimum. You can choose one that stays under your 65W TDP limit.

the 8th gen i5 has 6c/6t and the 8th gen i7 is 6c/12t

Just now, Jumballi said:

the 8th gen i5 has 6c/6t and the 8th gen i7 is 6c/12t

Yeah, I edited my post because I'm thinking of older models. When socket 1151 first came out I don't believe there were any CPUs over 4C/8T but that changed later on. With newer series that still use the 1151 socket.

It's my error.

Thanks for the help.

Would the I7-9700 be a good choice, it had 8c/8t and is cheaper than the I7-8700