Low CPU Usage/High CPU Usage?

Nuclear Pizza Rolls

I've recently got a Ryzen 5 1600 with a RX 570 but noticed that my CPU usage was low on Minecraft. I figured it was just the game that was acting weird, however other games were using lower than expected CPU usage. On Minecraft I get around 400-600FPS on average, with ~14% CPU usage. My girlfriend has a i5-9600K and a GTX 1050 and gets around 800-1.2k with ~70% CPU usage on Minecraft. We both have 16GB of RAM, my CPU isn't thermal throttling, and I'm on high performance mode and wish to have Minecraft use more of my CPU. Does anyone have any ideas why? Any tips?

11 minutes ago, Nuclear Pizza Rolls said:

my CPU isn't thermal throttling, and I'm on high performance mode and wish to have Minecraft use more of my CPU. Does anyone have any ideas why? Any tips?

Why? You claim to be getting 400-600fps which I'd say is overkill. btw, your girlfriends i5 is a 6c/6t whereas your Ryzen is a 6c/12t. I don't know how minecraft utilizes the cores, but your CPU usage sounds about right.

That's like saying your car is able to go 140 mph but the engine isn't working hard enough for you.

4 minutes ago, steelo said:

Why? You claim to be getting 400-600fps? btw, your girlfriends i5 is a 6c/6t whereas your Ryzen is a 6c/12t.

That's like saying your car is able to go 140 mph but the engine isn't working hard enough for you.

I want to know why my girlfriend's CPU usage is higher compared to mine. Why is there such a huge difference in our CPU usage?

1 minute ago, AndeSandwich said:

You shouldn't be worried about cpu usage. As long as the gpu usage is at 95-100%

Both of our GPU usage is at ~30%

2 minutes ago, Nuclear Pizza Rolls said:

I want to know why my girlfriend's CPU usage is higher compared to mine. Why is there such a huge difference in our CPU usage?

Both of our GPU usage is at ~30%

Because you have a 6c/12t CPU whereas your girlfriend has a 6c/6t...you have twice as many threads. Minecraft is not a very demanding game and your GPU is barely breaking a sweat.

1 minute ago, steelo said:

Because you have a 6c/12t processor whereas your girlfriend has a 6c/6t...you have twice as many threads.

So should I turn off SMT?

41 minutes ago, Nuclear Pizza Rolls said:

So should I turn off SMT?

I apologize, I read your OP too fast...

In all honesty, why would you want to worsen your performance?

6 minutes ago, Nuclear Pizza Rolls said:

Curious if that would help performance

Are you referring to her i5 9600k? I don't believe she has smt.

1 minute ago, steelo said:

Are you referring to her Intel i5? I don't believe she has smt.

I know she doesnt but I heard around that disabling SMT improved fps in certain games. Disabling SMT on my computer wouldn't do anything?

5 minutes ago, Nuclear Pizza Rolls said:

I know she doesnt but I heard around that disabling SMT improved fps in certain games. Disabling SMT on my computer wouldn't do anything?

I'm not entirely sure with Minecraft. You could try it, I suppose. I'd call 400-600 fps more than playable though.

My guess is it will actually hurt performance quite a bit.

2 minutes ago, steelo said:

I'm not entirely sure with Minecraft. You could try it, I suppose. I'd call 400-600 fps more than playable though...LOL

My guess is it will actually hurt performance quite a bit.

Alright, thanks

So SMT decreases CPU usage?

16 minutes ago, Nuclear Pizza Rolls said:

Alright, thanks

Perhaps minecraft utilizes single threads and her CPU simply is more efficient with single threaded applications. In that case, it doesn't matter how many threads your CPU has...

You could try turning off SMT but I doubt it will provide any performance boost. If you're determined to match your girlfriends CPU/GPU performance, you'd probably have better results by modestly overclocking your GPU. I too have a RX570 and noticed as much as a 10% increase in 'heaven' benchmarks even with a subtle 100 mhz overclock.

18 minutes ago, steelo said:

Perhaps minecraft utilizes single threads and her CPU simply is more efficient with single threaded applications. In that case, it doesn't matter how many threads your CPU has...

You could try turning off SMT but I doubt it will provide any performance boost. If you're determined to match your girlfriends CPU/GPU performance, you'd probably have better results by modestly overclocking your GPU. I too have a RX570 and noticed as much as a 10% increase in 'heaven' benchmarks even with a subtle 100 mhz overclock.

Mine came overclocked out of the factory, and minecraft uses more CPU intensive than GPU but thanks

12 minutes ago, Nuclear Pizza Rolls said:

Mine came overclocked out of the factory, and minecraft uses more CPU intensive than GPU but thanks

I'm guessing your GPU has the same factory overclock as mine - 1240 mhz or very close...I overclocked mine further to 1380 mhz and it is very stable and relatively cool.

You could try overclocking your CPU in 50-100 mhz increments, I've seen people get as high as 3.9ghz with 1600's, but I'd play it on the safe side. I apologize for misreading your OP...your girlfriend simply has a more modern CPU with a higher frequency and better single threaded performance.

In the end though, you are getting 600 fps...I wouldn't complain too much. LOL

23 minutes ago, steelo said:

I'm guessing your GPU has the same factory overclock as mine - 1240 mhz or very close...I overclocked mine further to 1380 mhz and it is very stable and relatively cool.

You could try overclocking your CPU in 50-100 mhz increments, I've seen people get as high as 3.9ghz with 1600's, but I'd play it on the safe side. I apologize for misreading your OP...your girlfriend simply has a more modern CPU with a higher frequency and better single threaded performance.

In the end though, you are getting 600 fps...I wouldn't complain too much. LOL

all good, the reason I'd like more fps is so I can record at a higher frame rate on OBS. I currently record 240fps on using cpu encoding and get ~350fps

I should've mention that before, sorry about that. I'd like to record 360fps, but my fps dips down to ~300 when I set it that high. Also gpu encoding is not an option, I made a post about it  before explaining my over encoding.

Also my 1600 is OC'd to 3.7GHz

On 12/13/2019 at 12:54 PM, Nuclear Pizza Rolls said:

Alright, thanks

More or less yes. SMT "doubles" the number of places ("logical processors") where the OS can schedule work. If the application was only throwing enough work to fill on average 4 cores, turning on SMT will effectively halve the CPU usage because only half the places where the OS can schedule work will be used.

Also note that CPU usage is simply "was the CPU doing something other than idling?"

2 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

More or less yes. SMT "doubles" the number of places ("logical processors") where the OS can schedule work. If the application was only throwing enough work to fill on average 4 cores, turning on SMT will effectively halve the CPU usage because only half the places where the OS can schedule work will be used.

Also note that CPU usage is simply "was the CPU doing something other than idling?"

Hmm, alright thank you. I was just a bit confused because I used to get higher fps, albeit less stable, with my fx 6300 and gtx 950