RAM confusion

hey there friends, i just built myself a new amd based PC

the thing is that i currently have installed only one 4gb ram stick into it. my mobo has 4 ram slots and supports upto 32gb ram. So, i was thinking whether or not it is possible to run 24 gb ram in the following configuration further down the road. 2x4GB and 2x8GB. The thing is that if i want to install more than 16 GB of ram into it then i would probably have to bin the existing 4GB ram stick. I want to use this one as well as add extra ram when the time comes. I am also pretty sure that when i really start needing 32GB of ram, i'll probably just build myself a new system. Thanks for(possible) answers!

you don't usually need more than 8gb and if you install more you won't necessarily notice a difference

I don't know if its advisable to mix and match different RAM DIMMs on the same channel... I also have an AMD rig, and I have 16GB and don't expect to need more any time soon. So if you are planning on increasing your RAM, I would go with either 2x8GB or 4x4GB.

ConsTR(4)uct:

• CPU
    Threadripper 1900X @ 4.0GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus PRIME X399-A
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite @ 3466MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming-X 11G
  • Case
    SilverStone Fortress FT02
  • Storage
    1TB Samsung 960 EVO + 500GB WD Blue SSD + 2x 4TB WD Red (RAID1) + 3TB HGST Deskstar NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair AX760i
  • Display(s)
    2x Acer Predator XB271HK
  • Cooling
    BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G710+
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
    Propellerhead Balance + Bose Companion II + AKG K7XX
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

It can work but all the RAM needs to be the same frequency, latency, and voltage and they must be installed in dual channel mode for stability.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks all for replying. the last answer gave me a sigh of relief. will add more ram when i start needing it. but for now, will do with the current config!