Looking for an Ultrabook

RTCook

I was recently put into the Steam In-house Streaming beta and am looking for an Ultrabook with a decent CPU to game from bed. I tried this with a lower end Ivy i5 Lenovo Twist and it worked pretty good. But a beefier CPU like a Haswell i7 with HD 5k (iris? 5500) graphics on board would do a lot better.

A 15" is fine, resolution of 1080p would be best since my desktop monitors are 1080p as well. If it can turn into a tablet, that would be a plus so I could watch YouTube on it as well and do other random stuff. I don't intend to game on this machine, so don't need a dedicated gpu.

I was going to wait to see how much that new ASUS Transformer Windows/Android hybrid cost that was shown off at CES, but who knows when that will be. Budget is around $800-1200, although I can go higher as long as where it comes from let's me pay over a set time (disability checks.)

Thanks in advance, shopping for laptops isn't a strong suit of mine lol.

As far as I know iris pro doesn't really exist in notebooks yet...

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I could of swore I saw them being shown off at CES, of course not many if any at all of what was shown off has come to market yet.

Someone from OCN mentioned the Lenovo X1 Carbon, but it looked a bit too expensive for a 14" ultrabook.  Was there any ultrabooks shown at CES with Iris graphics in them, I can't remember?  If not then I guess I will have to settle with HD 4400 graphics  :unsure:

Someone from OCN mentioned the Lenovo X1 Carbon, but it looked a bit too expensive for a 14" ultrabook.  Was there any ultrabooks shown at CES with Iris graphics in them, I can't remember?  If not then I guess I will have to settle with HD 4400 graphics  :unsure:

Yup you'll have to settle for integrated graphics

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Yup you'll have to settle for integrated graphics

That was my intention from the start, Iris is still IGPU if I remember right, just really outperforms the HD 4k series right now.  If I'm having to stay with what we currently have right now, then some suggestions would be nice.

That was my intention from the start, Iris is still IGPU if I remember right, just really outperforms the HD 4k series right now.  If I'm having to stay with what we currently have right now, then some suggestions would be nice.

First, you'll have to modify your criteria a bit. 15" ultrabooks are pretty much non-existent. The typical form factor of these devices is 10" or 13.3"

Second, do you have a price range in mind?

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

First, you'll have to modify your criteria a bit. 15" ultrabooks are pretty much non-existent. The typical form factor of these devices is 10" or 13.3"

Second, do you have a price range in mind?

You sure you aren't thinking of "Netbooks," cause those are completely different things and don't really exist anymore.  I've seen 15"+ Ultrabooks at BestBuy and around online, yea some of the larger ones have discrete graphics but that's fine with me.  And as stated in my first post my budget is $800-1200, but can go higher if I'm able to pay it off with installments (Like some stores do with a certain cost item being high up there.)  I get disability checks every month, I know it's not nearly as much as some make but I'm flexible budget wise.

15.6" appears to be the largest size for ultrabooks on Newegg. 

Beefier processor and iGPU goes against the definition of an ultrabook (thin and light, high battery life). Battery life gets killed by a beefier CPU even if the laptop is thin and light. Intel has specific requirements to be met for a laptop to be considered an ultrabook, and battery life is one of them. You'll have to sacrifice some performance (weaker CPU and reasonable iGPU) to meet your price requirements (along with 1080p display, which is another rarity). 

Very few CPUs on laptops have Iris Pro. Most, if not all, have HD4600 iGPUs. 

Look through some of these options. 

http://www.newegg.com/All-Ultrabooks/SubCategory/ID-3090?PriceMin=95&PriceMax=1200&ScreenMin=14&ScreenMax=15.6

I'd recommend the Thinkpad T440s. Processor is configurable. RAM as well, but it's more economical to buy your own RAM. It comes with 4GB soldered on with an extra DIMM slot allowing up to 12GB. Full HD + higher capacity rear battery* brings the cost to $1160. CPU upgrade is $100 for the i5 4300U or $270 for the i7 4600U. 

* By default, it contains 2 batteries: a 3-cell internal battery that's built in and not replaceable plus a second 3-cell battery that can be removed or replaced with a 6-cell battery.  

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

You sure you aren't thinking of "Netbooks," cause those are completely different things and don't really exist anymore.  I've seen 15"+ Ultrabooks at BestBuy and around online, yea some of the larger ones have discrete graphics but that's fine with me.  And as stated in my first post my budget is $800-1200, but can go higher if I'm able to pay it off with installments (Like some stores do with a certain cost item being high up there.)  I get disability checks every month, I know it's not nearly as much as some make but I'm flexible budget wise.

I forgot the thin/light spec of ultrabooks has been increased to allow more devices to fit the category. I probably won't be of much use here so I think I'll bow out of this conversation. Also, sorry for missing your price range. I skimmed your OP and didn't see that anywhere.

15.6" appears to be the largest size for ultrabooks on Newegg. 

Beefier processor and iGPU goes against the definition of an ultrabook (thin and light, high battery life). Battery life gets killed by a beefier CPU even if the laptop is thin and light. Intel has specific requirements to be met for a laptop to be considered an ultrabook, and battery life is one of them. You'll have to sacrifice some performance (weaker CPU and reasonable iGPU) to meet your price requirements (along with 1080p display, which is another rarity). 

Very few CPUs on laptops have Iris Pro. Most, if not all, have HD4600 iGPUs. 

Look through some of these options. 

http://www.newegg.com/All-Ultrabooks/SubCategory/ID-3090?PriceMin=95&PriceMax=1200&ScreenMin=14&ScreenMax=15.6

I'd recommend the Thinkpad T440s. Processor is configurable. RAM as well, but it's more economical to buy your own RAM. It comes with 4GB soldered on with an extra DIMM slot allowing up to 12GB. Full HD + higher capacity rear battery* brings the cost to $1160. CPU upgrade is $100 for the i5 4300U or $270 for the i7 4600U. 

* By default, it contains 2 batteries: a 3-cell internal battery that's built in and not replaceable plus a second 3-cell battery that can be removed or replaced with a 6-cell battery.  

That's not a bad suggestion at all ^^