Moding

ClintB Onyie
Go to solution Solved by Slayer3032,

If you have an 18 pin male connector and a 24 pin female connector you could just splice the two together. I've never used butt connectors on anything that would use as much power as a computer though. As far as solder, I'd be afraid of cracking, ect. You could definitely repin them both together but then you're going to need 50+ molex pins.

To do it properly you'd need to source both connectors, new with pins and follow the pin out diagrams to merge them.

Can you order from Aliexpress? Making it yourself isn't going to be cost effective at all if you don't have the connectors already.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32967822221.html

How can I make a 24 pin female to 18 pin Male atx power adapter for HP Z230?

no just buy the correct adapter cable they make plenty of them

27 minutes ago, emosun said:

no just buy the correct adapter cable they make plenty of them

They're not very available in my region.

If you have an 18 pin male connector and a 24 pin female connector you could just splice the two together. I've never used butt connectors on anything that would use as much power as a computer though. As far as solder, I'd be afraid of cracking, ect. You could definitely repin them both together but then you're going to need 50+ molex pins.

To do it properly you'd need to source both connectors, new with pins and follow the pin out diagrams to merge them.

Can you order from Aliexpress? Making it yourself isn't going to be cost effective at all if you don't have the connectors already.

5 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

Don't actually do that...... you won't have the required voltage regulator and it will not work. Just buy the correct cable

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

Don't actually do that...... you won't have the required voltage regulator and it will not work. Just buy the correct cable

So those boards don't use standard ATX voltages, ect? I'd just straight chuck the board in the trash if that's the case or get another OEM psu and get rid of it the computer.

You should just be able to map pins to where ever they're needed on the connector you're converting to and leave out the rest. That Aliexpress cable does seem to have some pins missing and something located under that heat shrink.

19 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

That Aliexpress cable does seem to have some pins missing and something located under that heat shrink.

yeah the voltage regulator , thats why you don't just attempt to splice wires together without googling it first. a standard powersupply doesn't do what that regulator does.