Ethernet splitter or switch?

AndreiArgeanu

Hi, so I need to have ethernet up to another computer in a different room, I currently have already a cat6 ethernet cable wired to a computer, what I wanted to do is to have a splitter with one cable going into a room for a computer and the other going to the other one. I don't want a network switch, I need something small that I can just place on the hallway perhaps stuck to a wall. Now I've seen some splitters like the one below but they seem to have bad reviews and mention that only one works at a time so I was wondering if out there is a splitter similar to this that works properly 

Screenshot_20191206_023746_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.png.8c4c84e2cb78f2abe7b22da4e6ee0a07.png

Those splitters separate the pairs, 2 pairs to one port and 2 pairs to the other. This means you can only get 100mbps off each port. You will then need a second one on the router end. The bad reviews tend to be from people not understanding this doesnt magically make 1 port on the router/switch into 2.

When I was an installer I ran into this setup all the time because people were lazy and didnt want to run two cables. I would just suggest getting a cheap unmanaged 5-port Netgear switch. They are pretty much bullet proof.

If you can I would put a small switch in a closet to eliminate its visibility then route to the computers

1 minute ago, cole0622 said:

If you can I would put a small switch in a closet to eliminate its visibility then route to the computers

There is no routing involved with basic switches

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

There is no routing involved with basic switches

no there's not sorry for the confusion when I said routing I meant with the physical cable /running the cable to the computer from there

TP Link have a small switch that I run several devices off. E.g. Computer, tv, etc. it is slim and haven't had any issues. 

IMG_1367.JPG

38 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

need something small that I can just place on the hallway perhaps stuck to a wall.

How big do you think a switch is? The average unmanaged one can be very small. Smaller than a cable modem, router, etc. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Splitter-Optimization-Unmanaged-TL-SG105/dp/B00A128S24/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=network+switch&qid=1575602404&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A7306160011|7306161011%2Cp_72%3A1248879011&rnid=1248877011&s=pc&sr=1-3

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Yep come to think of it even most small 5 port switches have holes so you can hang them on a wall/ceiling me personally never done that but it is an option

Just now, cole0622 said:

Yep come to think of it even most small 5 port switches have holes so you can hang them on a wall/ceiling me personally never done that but it is an option

I use Velcro myself. This way it doesnt fuck the wall up. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I use Velcro myself. This way it doesnt fuck the wall up. 

also would make replacing the switch later on easier because you wouldn't have to worry about weather or not it will fit the original mounting, nice