Upgrading

I am going to try and upgrade my cpu soon, what is a good cpu around 200$, should i upgrade my motherboard and ram aswell?

Current specs:
msi B450 tomahawk 

ryzen 5 1600 

2x8 3000 MHz memory

But why

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

6 minutes ago, KingLegend said:

I am going to try and upgrade my cpu soon, what is a good cpu around 200$, should i upgrade my motherboard and ram aswell?

Current specs:
msi B450 tomahawk 

ryzen 5 1600 

2x8 3000 MHz memory

Ryzen 5 3600

Just now, boggy77 said:

Ryzen 5 3600

But why?

Missing too much information to know if this would even help.

In all likelihood dude is better off spending the $200 on an SSD, or saving it for a new GPU etc.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

18 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

But why?

Missing too much information to know if this would even help.

In all likelihood dude is better off spending the $200 on an SSD, or saving it for a new GPU etc.

what more information do you want?
Just bought a 2060 super and my uncle is asking what computer parts I want for christmas, currently have a 500 gb ssd(100gb free) and a 1tb hard drive (300gb free)

28 minutes ago, KingLegend said:

Current specs:
msi B450 tomahawk 

ryzen 5 1600 

2x8 3000 MHz memory

The central processing unit (CPU) being upgraded would not be of much advantage than upgrading other system specs for the most likely case. Although it would be dependent on what you plan to run on the system and what the other specifications of your system are (such as the storage drives and maybe a graphics card).

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, KingLegend said:

Just bought a 2060 super and my uncle is asking what computer parts I want for christmas, currently have a 500 gb ssd(100gb free) and a 1tb hard drive (300gb free)

Just now, Boomwebsearch said:
28 minutes ago, KingLegend said:

Current specs:
msi B450 tomahawk 

ryzen 5 1600 

2x8 3000 MHz memory

The central processing unit (CPU) being upgraded would not be of much advantage than upgrading other system specs for the most likely case. Although it would be dependent on what you plan to run on the system and what the other specifications of your system are (such as the storage drives and maybe a graphics card).

Sorry, I posted this comment like a fraction of a second before you responded to it ?, all information you have provided except for what your usage application for the computer would be. I think an SSD upgrade would be a great upgrade for this system, less wear and tear on mechanical drives for boot and applications being loaded, faster loading times, and many more advantages. A 240GB SSD is probably more than sufficient for the boot drive and a few applications, although you may choose to get a larger model for more storage space.

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Sorry, I posted this comment like a fraction of a second before you responded to it ?, all information you have provided except for what your usage application for the computer would be. I think an SSD upgrade would be a great upgrade for this system, less wear and tear on mechanical drives for boot and applications being loaded, faster loading times, and many more advantages. A 240GB SSD is probably more than sufficient for the boot drive and a few applications, although you may choose to get a larger model for more storage space.

I want to get into recording/streaming and windows 10 is currently on my ssd, whats a good ssd?

1 minute ago, KingLegend said:

I want to get into recording/streaming and windows 10 is currently on my ssd, whats a good ssd?

If you want to edit the footage at high speed off the SSD which is what I would think to be the case, I would recommend a larger SSD. If it was just the operating system, you could basically pick any some-what reputable drive with enough capacity. Since you are planning to record, I suggest staying away from the less reputable manufacturers and going with a reputable manufacturer such as Samsung for the peace of mind, although keep your important files backed up just in case of SSD failure anyways. The 860 EVO 1TB would be my recommendation at around 10 dollars more than 100 on sale (USD). You can pick from other manufacturers like Crucial, Seagate, Western Digital, etc although from my experience Samsung models tend to be more often get easily recognized by the BIOS for hassle free installation.

links to aforementioned products:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-860-evo-1tb-internal-sata-solid-state-drive/6178649.p?skuId=6178649

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-480gb-internal-sata-solid-state-drive/5900262.p?skuId=5900262

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-240gb-internal-sata-solid-state-drive/5900261.p?skuId=5900261

Hope that this information was helpful -@Boomwebsearch

@Boomwebsearch 

18 minutes ago, KingLegend said:

Because in many circumstances, of you are gaming, you won't notice.

Are you using a 60hz display? Won't notice. Better to spend money on a better display.

Using an RX 570? Won't matter.

Using a mechanical drive? Better to spend on ssd.

There's lots of reasons to get more information.

Just now, Plutosaurus said:

Because in many circumstances, of you are gaming, you won't notice.

Are you using a 60hz display? Won't notice. Better to spend money on a better display.

Using an RX 570? Won't matter.

Using a mechanical drive? Better to spend on ssd.

There's lots of reasons to get more information.

currently have 1440p 144hz, currently using a 1060 6gb my 2060 super is coming in today, only use mechanical drive for large games i dont play often (gta v, bo3, ark, etc)

30 minutes ago, KingLegend said:

currently have 1440p 144hz, currently using a 1060 6gb my 2060 super is coming in today, only use mechanical drive for large games i dont play often (gta v, bo3, ark, etc)

That's better.

With a 2060S you could just use NVENC for streaming, which doesn't use the CPU.

There are a lot of benchmarks out there using the 2080ti to remove the gpu limitations to test all three generations of Ryzen. In those cases yes there will be a rather large gulf in performance especially at 1080p, but at 1440p it starts to equalize, and at 4k, it's pretty much gone. It's likely the 2060S will top out in 1440p, and reflect similar utilization and limitations as the 2080ti at 4k.

I would probably wait for the 2060S to come in and see how it performs. Check the utilization and see if a CPU upgrade would even help.

IMO, upgrading from a 1600 to a 3600 to get more fps on a 2060S on a 1440p display isn't going to help as much as you think it will. If you were on a 1080p/144+ display, I would feel different.

At 1440p, there will be gains in minimum FPS, but you may not notice it and it's unlikely to be large changes in average framerate.

If I were you, with only 100gb free on your SSD, a larger SSD would be more helpful impact on your gaming experience than a cpu upgrade. 

Or if you are not overclocked, spend money on a good cooler (that you can reuse later) and try to get your 1600 to 4ghz.