Combo Displays?

Do you think we will ever see a display that has two distinct technologies incorporated into it?  Think, for example, a display that is a LED-LCD but also has an e-ink mode for text heavy sites, PDFs, and e-books.  You might ask why such a thing would need to exist when you could easily just buy a dedicated e-reader for such purposes.  Personally, I would like the simplicity of having a device that does a number of things well.  While I certainly can read on my LCD for a while, the idea of being able to switch to a different mode of operation to utilize my Kindle for PC application is appealing.  Let's not forget that the traditional hard drive has a huge amount of space in comparison to a Kindle.  Thoughts?  Stupid? Not stupid?   :P

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Do you think we will ever see a display that has two distinct technologies incorporated into it?  Think, for example, a display that is a LED-LCD but also has an e-ink mode for text heavy sites, PDFs, and e-books.  You might ask why such a thing would need to exist when you could easily just buy a dedicated e-reader for such purposes.  Personally, I would like the simplicity of having a device that does a number of things well.  While I certainly can read on my LCD for a while, the idea of being able to switch to a different mode of operation to utilize my Kindle for PC application is appealing.  Let's not forget that the traditional hard drive has a huge amount of space in comparison to a Kindle.  Thoughts?  Stupid? Not stupid?   :P

sounds very niche but the display interface on the kindle isnt too bad

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

OLED is yet to become a standard for desktop gaming or having a higher than full hd resolution tv by that i mean we have OLED but its not in everyones living or sitting room

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

OLED is yet to become a standard for desktop gaming or having a higher than full hd resolution tv by that i mean we have OLED but its not in everyones living or sitting room

OLED = IPS? Or isn't that true

sounds very niche but the display interface on the kindle isnt too bad

Oh, I wasn't saying that I think the Kindle is bad.  For me personally, however, it is more convenient to be able to access multiple media types through one device (my computer) than to have multiple devices for different things.  If I could have standard LCD mode for playing games, watching movies, etc. and then have an e-ink mode for reading, that would be awesome.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

i dont know but i dont think oled equals ips that isnt correct i think

no. oled is a backligting technique, using very small organic led diodes, IPS is a matrix of the liquid crystals that polarize, making the colours

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

no. oled is a backligting technique, using very small organic led diodes, IPS is a matrix of the liquid crystals that polarize, making the colours

Thanks for the info, :)

Thanks for the info, :)

no probs :-)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]