Question about GPU's for SLI and Future Upgrades

Hello everyone and anyone, I'm in need of some technical help... with cyber monday quickly approaching I figured it was either now or never to get myself a solid GPU. I'm well aware that Nvidia's 2080-ti is the top choice for most, I have a pretty solid system but have no GPU, and I don't want to bottleneck anything. I have an i9-9900k on a ASUS XI CODE MOBO, with 64GB of 3200MHz Speed RAM, and a solid PSU, with ample cooling. I want to be able to game in 4k at top specs for most games, but I don't want to spend too much on a GPU, I really like the 2070 Super, and 2080 Super from Nvidia, (either from Nvidia or ASUS) for both price, and performance... if I were to get a 2080 ti though... I was looking at the ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080-TI Overclocked 11G GDDR6, or just the Nvidia Model. What do y'all think? 

Also, as far as upgradeability goes...  I can't seem to find much info on pairing 2 2080 Super cards together through SLI, or Nvidia Bridge... I've seen examples with the 2070 Super, but not the 2080 Super. My guess as to why that is, is that at that point your probably just better off getting a 2080 ti at that point right? My reasoning for considering the 2080 Super is that it's like 700-800 dollars, and later I could get another one for sli. 

Lastly... I just want to have a good experience for my viewers on twitch. Do y'all even think SLI does anything different? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a 2080 ti. I would really appreciate any and all opinions you have on my considerations for GPU's above. Thanks!  

SLI is fading in popularity, so I would definitely splurge for the 2080ti.  Even then, the GPU will probably be the bottleneck at 4k gaming.

Thanks for the reply... this is a total guess but do you think I should wait? The 2080 Ti has been out a while, not sure if a new model will be coming out or not. Maybe like a 2080 - TI Super or something? Also, do you think I should go for the Nvidia Founders card, the ASUS card or even another brand of card... with an aftermarket cooler... I know my stuff as far as other components go, but my Knowledge on GPU's is severely limited. -LOL

There is supposedly ment to be a 2080ti super on the way, but even on 4k, the 2080ti can struggle (too many pixels man) unfortunately SLI isn't the best, considering there are multiple reasons why a single gpu would be better (see the sli guide). Either buy the rtx 2080ti or wait for a better card, the common consensus is that if you can get a better single card, do that because the dual cards can cause more issues. 

Feels like Nvidia is slowly phasing out SLI one model higher with every launch or two. When the 30 series comes if they call it that i wouldnt be suprised it you either can only SLI 2080 and up or its removed almost entirely. Its a giant pain in their ass i think to have to write specific profiles to fully support games with SLI and it loses its value when you find that most games dont support it or even run worse with it. I think in this day and age SLI causes more problems than its worth. 

i7-6700k 4.7ghz (1.375v)

Asus Maximus Hero VIII

64gb Kingston DDR4 2133mhz (4 x 16gb) OC to 2666mhz

Gigabyte 2070 Super GAMING OC WHITE (2085mhz core 15,400mhz memory)

Corsair H100i AIO

EVGA 850 Gold PSU

M.2 NVMe 1TB Drive

2 x 512GB SSDs Raid 0

2 x 2TB HDDs

• 3 weeks later...

@Ru5h I've narrowed my choices down to two different 2080 Super cards... I have an ASUS motherboard, so the Strix OC 2080 Super card looks good and I'd have a single system of software, but on the other hand the MSI Trio 2080 looks a bit more put together overall... what do you think? Is mixing different branded components ok? I know you can do it with other components like RAM and stuff, but should I follow suit and just get the Strix card over the MSI? Thanks!  

On 12/17/2019 at 11:50 PM, Natey1 said:

@Ru5h I've narrowed my choices down to two different 2080 Super cards... I have an ASUS motherboard, so the Strix OC 2080 Super card looks good and I'd have a single system of software, but on the other hand the MSI Trio 2080 looks a bit more put together overall... what do you think? Is mixing different branded components ok? I know you can do it with other components like RAM and stuff, but should I follow suit and just get the Strix card over the MSI? Thanks!  

Sorry this is so late! I didnt realized you actually wanted MY help, feels nice to be wanted lol.

If you haven't gotten the card already, its absolutely fine to mix gpu and mobo branded hardware, but it primarily goes on a case by case basis, for example you shouldnt mix RAM because -depending on the type- you could severely limit your performance, E.G ddr3 with ddr4 kits or issues with dual channel. but putting different branded GPUS in your system are no problem, and I actually have the MSI TRIO and its amazing. But Strix is absolutely fine as well, just go with the cheaper one as OC cards tend to only have a small increase in clock speed that its almost not worth it.

But yet again its all up to you man. I wanted performance so i went high, and thats just me, So who am i to judge? btw different third partied cards dont really deviate all too much, even in terms of reliability they just kinda add on their own cooling and maybe an OC but thats about it so don't take too long deciding as its not a big difference usually.

-Ru5h