I removed my top cooling fans and I'm not sure if they pull or push ?

DenaByte

Hey guys, I had a computer built for me and delivered over courier. After about a month or so of daily use I decided to open it up and clean it. 

So I removed the fans that I could and dusted them off. But here comes the problem, I'm not sure in what configuration were the top fans - push or pull?

Now the only way I managed to get both wires to connect to the power supply was in a PUSH configuration, but the top grid has a removable magnet filter. So this leads me to believe that they were in a pull configuration ?

The whole config has two big fans on the front of the case which PULL air in, and it has one fan at the back which pushes out. In my opinion the top ones should be pulling instead of pushing air out ?

Help me figure out which configuration for the top ones is more adequate !?!

EDIT: I just read a few articles online about cooling configs and the general idea seems to be aiming at higher pressure inside the case, so that the air is trying to get out, not get in. Because of small gaps that cannot be filtered. If the config has a lower pressure than the outside, it will try to such air in through any available gap and therefore, theoretically, bring in more dust. This whole idea makes me question if the top ones should actually be pulling as they are now...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Good men mean well, we just don't always end up doing well
 - Isaac Clarke

I vote for PUSH!

I have a similar config on one of my rigs :)

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

2 minutes ago, Hashiba said:

I vote for PUSH!

I have a similar config on one of my rigs :)

They are pushing air out currently since that was the only way I managed to attach both of them to the motherboard, if I flipped them the cable on the fan that is farthest away would not reach. But in this case, why is there a filter on top ? To avoid dust getting in while the Pc isn't running ?

- Isaac Clarke

what you are saying is totally logical, I assume they have it for that reason but also because you would have a totally different config were you want to pull from the top with a fan and help the cpu fan and maybe push trough a radiator from the front idk, just options

I have an H100i with the two fans pushing on the top, two fans pulling from the front of the case, and a single fan pushing at the back.

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

Just now, Hashiba said:

what you are saying is totally logical, I assume they have it for that reason but also because you would have a totally different config were you want to pull from the top with a fan and help the cpu fan and maybe push trough a radiator from the front idk, just options

I have an H100i with the two fans pushing on the top, two fans pulling from the front of the case, and a single fan pushing at the back.

It's a shame discussing this on the LTT forum when I can just watch the 1 year airflow experiment results... brb gonna go do that and make a decision

- Isaac Clarke

Ok so considering that the front fans are quite big, although they are just two, they should be able to match the air getting pushed out from the other three smaller fans so I am going to leave them like this for now. If I reverse both top fans the case will have four fans blowing in and only one out. While both intakes are filtered I still think it might be worse that way.

- Isaac Clarke