Considering a Corsair Carbide 678C

JohnMcL7

I'm planning a new build PC built around a 3900x and probably a Noctua air cooler which I want to have capacity for an optical drive and six 3.5in drive bays plus a maximum size of 426mm x 645mm x 250mm (HxDxW) .  I like the look of the Corsair Carbide 678C which meets these requirements, looks a not bad case and is quiet:

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/Carbide-Series-678C-Low-Noise-Tempered-Glass-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011170-WW#tab-overview

Reviews are very mixed though with some saying the airflow is not great and also that the price is far too high although the latter isn't so much an issue as it can be bought far less than the price it was reviewed at.  The difficulty I'm finding is that the alternatives that are recommended don't have the optical or hard drive bays so they're of no interest.  

I've no plans for hefty overclocks or dual high end graphics cards so I'm still thinking of going with this case but thought it worth checking to see if there was a better alternative I should be considering.

Optical drive and lots of bays are not modern gaming specs.  If you’re looking at a gaming site they’ll be comparing airflow to bayless systems with less internals.

your options may be limited.  You could save the price of the case by dumping the cooler and going with the stock cooler in the box.  Zen2 doesn’t overclock much anyway.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I went for a Fractal Design R6 in the end which just fits in the area I wanted, takes an ATX board, has an optical drive bay, has six 3.5in bays and two 2.5in bays.  It also has two USB2, two USB3 and a USB-C port on the front which is handy and having now built the PC I'm very impressed with the case.