Irregular noise inside PC

Go to solution Solved by Dougarooo,
16 hours ago, Sundance said:

I have localized the issue! Before I just unplugged the fans but I unplugged the SATA cable for the cpu cooler as a whole and the noise went away. Is there an exhaust fan on the radiator? The sound is definitely coming from there.

I'm sorry you unplugged the SATA cable for the cpu cooler...?

You said you don't have a water cooling system. I'm talking about AIOs as well. Looks like this

They come in different shapes and sizes and have tubes coming from the thing that covers the CPU.

What you just described, a SATA cable, usually connects to a AIO water cooler much like the one I linked. Air coolers just have the fan attached to a piece of metal and has a normal fan connector on the end of the cable.

Z370 Aorus Gaming 5

Intel i7-8700k

Corsair RAM 2x8 GB

AMD R9 390 Sapphire

Corsair RM750 Gold PSU

Old build I bought almost a year ago and replaced the mobo, cpu, and ram on a few weeks ago. The noise doesn’t cease. Sounds almost like a crackle sometimes (hard to tell from video) but at first just sounded like a loose fan. I have tried unplugging the fans but none of them seem to be the issue. There’s also a low buzzing sound which goes away whenever I press on anything on the mobo.

Sounds like static buildup. Does it also go away if you touch the back of the PC? so where your IO shield hits the case?

If that's the case i believe the proper thing to do is look into a new PSU. The DIY janky thing to do was to ground it with a wire.

Okay so this could be many things.

Your idea of a loose fan is definitely a good start but none of them fixed the issue? Case fans, CPU cooler fans, or even GPU fans? Try unplugging them all and removing the graphics card (if you haven't already) and see if you hear the crackling noise. I can only think of something hitting a fan making that inconsistent noise. It also sounds like it a lot if not a water cooler that sounds like it's out of water? Only things I can think of that'd make that kind of noise.

The low buzzing is pretty prominent in this audio you included. When you're using the computer normally with all the sides on and not under load: do you hear this noise? How loud is it really compared to the audio? I'm assuming you recorded it with your audio device in the computer with the side panel off. Most mobo or PSU do give off a low buzz when in use because that's just electricity. But if it's as loud as the audio makes it sound in a normal scenario that's a no good sign.

Have you tried listening in to where the buzz is louder from? It can be difficult so I wouldn't concern too much if you can't find the exact location. Do you have any HDDs? The usual suspects for that kind of noise would be fans, PSU, or HDDs. Fans, which you just tested, are probably not the problem. PSU on the other hand is difficult to really test. Maybe swap it with your old one and listen for the noise? But that's more difficult than checking the HDDs (if you have any). Just unplug HDDs and boot. See if you get the same noise in BIOS.

I fix computers for a government that is garbage. I'm also a certified security professional according to Comptia

Using my paycheck on computer parts and alcohol and since this is a tech form I'll help with computer stuff I guess

6 minutes ago, Sylentic said:

Sounds like static buildup. Does it also go away if you touch the back of the PC? so where your IO shield hits the case?

If that's the case i believe the proper thing to do is look into a new PSU. The DIY janky thing to do was to ground it with a wire.

I assume you’re just talking about the low buzz? That sound seems to be gone for time being.

20 minutes ago, Dougarooo said:

Okay so this could be many things.

Your idea of a loose fan is definitely a good start but none of them fixed the issue? Case fans, CPU cooler fans, or even GPU fans? Try unplugging them all and removing the graphics card (if you haven't already) and see if you hear the crackling noise. I can only think of something hitting a fan making that inconsistent noise. It also sounds like it a lot if not a water cooler that sounds like it's out of water? Only things I can think of that'd make that kind of noise.

The low buzzing is pretty prominent in this audio you included. When you're using the computer normally with all the sides on and not under load: do you hear this noise? How loud is it really compared to the audio? I'm assuming you recorded it with your audio device in the computer with the side panel off. Most mobo or PSU do give off a low buzz when in use because that's just electricity. But if it's as loud as the audio makes it sound in a normal scenario that's a no good sign.

Have you tried listening in to where the buzz is louder from? It can be difficult so I wouldn't concern too much if you can't find the exact location. Do you have any HDDs? The usual suspects for that kind of noise would be fans, PSU, or HDDs. Fans, which you just tested, are probably not the problem. PSU on the other hand is difficult to really test. Maybe swap it with your old one and listen for the noise? But that's more difficult than checking the HDDs (if you have any). Just unplug HDDs and boot. See if you get the same noise in BIOS.

No water coolers in this build. It sounds like it’s coming from the cpu if I really stick my ear in there, lol. I reapplied thermal paste when I put in a new cpu so idk could bubbles form and do that?? CPU temp is normal.

It’s not loud so I think the buzz you’re hearing is just normal load. The buzz I heard is almost like a sound byte used in video games for electricity. A bit higher pitched as to be more prominent. It’s gone now, though. 

Just now, Sundance said:

No water coolers in this build. It sounds like it’s coming from the cpu if I really stick my ear in there, lol. I reapplied thermal paste when I put in a new cpu so idk could bubbles form and do that?? 

It’s not loud so I think the buzz you’re hearing is just normal load. The buzz I heard is almost like a sound byte used in video games for electricity. A bit higher pitched as to be more prominent. It’s gone now, though. 

CPU temp is normal 

I have localized the issue! Before I just unplugged the fans but I unplugged the SATA cable for the cpu cooler as a whole and the noise went away. Is there an exhaust fan on the radiator? The sound is definitely coming from there.

16 hours ago, Sundance said:

You said you don't have a water cooling system. I'm talking about AIOs as well. Looks like this

They come in different shapes and sizes and have tubes coming from the thing that covers the CPU.

What you just described, a SATA cable, usually connects to a AIO water cooler much like the one I linked. Air coolers just have the fan attached to a piece of metal and has a normal fan connector on the end of the cable.

I fix computers for a government that is garbage. I'm also a certified security professional according to Comptia

Using my paycheck on computer parts and alcohol and since this is a tech form I'll help with computer stuff I guess

5 hours ago, Dougarooo said:

That's exactly what it is... I had no idea it was a water cooler ? I just thought there was a radiator in there. How would I go about putting extra water in? I suppose I can look up a video. Thanks so much for the reply.

On 11/26/2019 at 10:39 PM, Sundance said:

That's exactly what it is... I had no idea it was a water cooler ? I just thought there was a radiator in there. How would I go about putting extra water in? I suppose I can look up a video. Thanks so much for the reply.

Okay this was 19 hours ago but please

DO NOT OPEN AN AIO WATER COOLER

you do not need to fill an AIO water cooler at any time and do not usually have a way to do so.

I was referencing normal water cooling. It does sounds like it is dry but it could just be the noise the pump makes. My old pump made a similar sound but it was cooling perfectly fine. Please check your temperatures to see if it's around where water cooled should be. If the AIO is pretty old and your temps just aren't good then maybe it could be a sign your pump is dying.

If temps are good then ignore this noise. Normal cooling in effect :)