Sennheiser 599 VS Audio Technica AD900X

kotolus

I think I can get both for a good price relative to their regular one. I know both generally have good sound quality and are fit for FPS gaming. What I don't know is if the more expensive ones are that much better that the additional cost is justified:

Sennheiser 599: ~$90

AT AD900X: ~$150

I currently have a HyperX Cloud II and I want the upgrade to be worth it in general, mine aren't broken, I just want better ones. The Audio Technica ones are supposed to have a better sound stage than the Sennheiser. I don't know how much better, though, and if there's anything else justifying the price gap.

For competitive gaming? My vote is for the 900x. For music the 599 but honestly neither are really enjoyable for music for me

5 minutes ago, rice guru said:

For music the 599 but honestly neither are really enjoyable for music for me

Really? I kinda wanted them for both. If I had to choose then I'd want better gaming performance, assuming that both of them would be pretty good for music though. I never really looked much into music quality until now. Are you talking about a preference/taste in how they sound or universal quality?

24 minutes ago, kotolus said:

Really? I kinda wanted them for both. If I had to choose then I'd want better gaming performance, assuming that both of them would be pretty good for music though. I never really looked much into music quality until now. Are you talking about a preference/taste in how they sound or universal quality?

if Im looking at then as a purely music can the both lack bass, they both have good mids but the 599 wins in the mids department for me and the highs are very good for both the 599 is detailed and present while the 900x is airy and present. It is all a matter of taste and if that sounds like what your looking for, go for it. but if you want a headphone for gaming and music just all around a good headphone I would instead consider the hd 58x. to me it's a better all rounder has  bit of bass enough to be enjoyable for me. great mids great smooth highs and really good imaging for gaming.  and overalfidelity I would say on par or maybe even better than the other 2 headphones. 

36 minutes ago, rice guru said:

if Im looking at then as a purely music can the both lack bass, they both have good mids but the 599 wins in the mids department for me and the highs are very good for both the 599 is detailed and present while the 900x is airy and present. It is all a matter of taste and if that sounds like what your looking for, go for it. but if you want a headphone for gaming and music just all around a good headphone I would instead consider the hd 58x. to me it's a better all rounder has  bit of bass enough to be enjoyable for me. great mids great smooth highs and really good imaging for gaming.  and overalfidelity I would say on par or maybe even better than the other 2 headphones. 

I can't find the ones you suggested anywhere. Were they like a one time special edition or something? Also I narrowed my selection down to the two ones I mentioned because I can get them for good prices and I read that they're both recommended for FPS gaming and that they 'scale' well with the price (meaning the AT should actually be significantly better) and I just wanted to get a second opinion on that last statement. But it sounds like you're saying they're pretty equal in terms of overall sound quality and it just comes down to taste, while you'd even rather suggest another one in that price range that's better (which wasn't mentioned in my original source)

22 minutes ago, kotolus said:

I can't find the ones you suggested anywhere. Were they like a one time special edition or something? Also I narrowed my selection down to the two ones I mentioned because I can get them for good prices and I read that they're both recommended for FPS gaming and that they 'scale' well with the price (meaning the AT should actually be significantly better) and I just wanted to get a second opinion on that last statement. But it sounds like you're saying they're pretty equal in terms of overall sound quality and it just comes down to taste, while you'd even rather suggest another one in that price range that's better (which wasn't mentioned in my original source)

Ah sorry they are massdrop exclusives if you live in the US they are a great option and you can get an additional $20 off bringing it down from $140 off the msrp.  Many will say it's a cheaper 660. It's not equal in quality to the hd 660 but really close

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

Ah sorry they are massdrop exclusives if you live in the US they are a great option and you can get an additional $20 off bringing it down from $140 off the msrp.  Many will say it's a cheaper 660. It's not equal in quality to the hd 660 but really close

Unfortunately I'm from Germany.

22 minutes ago, kotolus said:

Unfortunately I'm from Germany.

ah ok. they they are a biut more expensive if you order from the massdrop EU store.  since you live in germany I would be most enclined to reccomend the dt 880 but it's hard to drive and would require an amp. yeah out of the 2 there if I had to pick if Im using them strictly for gaming the 900x's are the pick . if I want to use them for gaming and music. the hd 599 are the way to go

Yeah I checked now, they cost $210, so they're even more expensive. Also kinda don't wanna buy an amp. So I guess I should get the 599 then, doesn't sound like the extra money is worth it

Just out of curiosity though... how do the 'gaming' headsets stack up against these? I can barely find any reviews comparing them to something like this. Just found the Corsair HS70 Pro Wireless Gaming Headset. I like the looks, the fact that it's wireless and that it has noise cancelling. I guess the audio is significantly worse though?

15 minutes ago, kotolus said:

Just out of curiosity though... how do the 'gaming' headsets stack up against these? I can barely find any reviews comparing them to something like this. Just found the Corsair HS70 Pro Wireless Gaming Headset. I like the looks, the fact that it's wireless and that it has noise cancelling. I guess the audio is significantly worse though?

they are generally better inherently because they are open backs. a wide soundstage and good imaging really helps locate enemies better than a closed not so good gaming headset . and them being tuned and made for audiophiles and audio engineers they are put through more scrutiny than ha gaming headset where most gamers have really care more about form over function up till recently

3 hours ago, kotolus said:

I imagine so in feature, easthetics and marketing you often trade off for sound quality or price especially wit wireless headphones

16 hours ago, rice guru said:

I imagine so in feature, easthetics and marketing you often trade off for sound quality or price especially wit wireless headphones

Alright, thanks for the help!