How to use my home theater speakers on my pc

Arjun_117

So my home theater is dying and i am thinking of using it's speakers on my PC.

I got a Philips 300W home theater.

https://www.philips.co.in/c-p/HTS3532BL_94/immersive-sound-home-theater

This is the home theater.

I'm using a Gigabyte Z370 MD3H mobo. Is there a way where i could use the audio ports of this mobo to connect the speakers?

Sorry for bad English

Yes, according to the specs, that receiver accepts aux input, and optical, both of which are things your PC will (or at least might) have.

It is unclear if it has an HDMI input or not, but if so, this is ideal as your PC likely has this as well, and it will support surround sound correctly, unlike the other methods described below.  It (like the optical method) is also digital, meaning you use the DAC in the receiver, rather than the DAC in your motherboard, and this is likely a better situation.  It also means you won't pickup any unwanted noise or interference between the motherboard and the receiver.

If you'd like to use the aux input, simply run a TRS cable of appropriate size (3.5 mm or 1/4") from the green hole on your motherboard or soundcard to the receiver. (circled in green below).  Keep in mind this will only carry a stereo signal, not full surround.  You can get surround with additional cables though by tapping into the other coloured ports, if the receiver supports it.

If you have an optical output, you can run a cable from your optical port (circled in orange below).  Keep in mind that optical connections of this nature do not have enough bandwidth to support surround sound without use of special codecs for compression.

image.png.7f46efb150ce2329b102a3c8a963c54a.png

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes, according to the specs, that receiver accepts aux input, and optical, both of which are things your PC will (or at least might) have.

But the speakers are having proprietary port as input while the mobo uses 3.5mm jack. Also will my mobo support such wattage. I don't want to ruin the mobo.

Image result for Easy-Fit Speaker Jacks

These are ports where the speakers are connected to the home theater 

Just now, Arjun_117 said:

But the speakers are having proprietary port as input while the mobo uses 3.5mm jack. Also will my mobo support such wattage. I don't want to ruin the mobo.

These are ports where the speakers are connected to the home theater 

You will need to connect the PC to the receiver so the receiver can power and drive the speakers.  You cannot connect passive home theatre speakers, particularly with that proprietary connector, directly to your motherboard.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Oh that was exactly what i wanted to do. ?
But if i get a connector to change them to 3.5 mm jack. Will the speakers work?

Just now, Arjun_117 said:

Oh that was exactly what i wanted to do. ?
But if i get a connector to change them to 3.5 mm jack. Will the speakers work?

They will not because they require vastly more power than the motherboard can produce.  You would need an amplifier of some sort.  The receiver will do this job, and is designed specifically for them, making it the best choice.  The motherboard can only drive light load devices directly, such as headphones.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They will not because they require vastly more power than the motherboard can produce.  You would need an amplifier of some sort.  The receiver will do this job, and is designed specifically for them, making it the best choice.  The motherboard can only drive light load devices directly, such as headphones.

Ok. Thanks a lot btw