Break / Fix Interview Suggestions

CCJ261

HI, this is my first time posting on the forum so hopefully, I am posting in the correct area. I am going to be going in for an interview on a break/fix IT position and wanted to ask some fellow people in the tech community if they have been through a similar experience. And if you have any suggestions on any topics that they may bring up I have a lot of experience in a freelance capacity but have never interviewed for a position like this before. Any input would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks!

well, many years ago i was where you were

1. Think about Customer Service

- dealing with difficult situations and you would handle them

- upset clients

2. Think about Problem Solving

- how would you solve a problem start to finish

- ie example someone cant print

is this local to the computer?

is this network wide?

are other printers working on floor?

want to see how you solve and its also important to identify the scope and steps you take to resolve

3. Think about  Time Management

- how to prioritize work, shifting workload as emergencies come up

4. Think about Interpersonal Relationships

- how to deal with conflicts.

- harassment etc

think about company its vision and mandate learn about the company before the interview.

they will be looking at your interpersonal skills and how you communicate with the interviewer.

On 11/23/2019 at 5:38 PM, CCJ261 said:

HI, this is my first time posting on the forum so hopefully, I am posting in the correct area. I am going to be going in for an interview on a break/fix IT position and wanted to ask some fellow people in the tech community if they have been through a similar experience. And if you have any suggestions on any topics that they may bring up I have a lot of experience in a freelance capacity but have never interviewed for a position like this before. Any input would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks!

I have not. All but one the tech positions I've had were basically offered to me via unadvertised channels.

With that said, sound confident and competent. The "hardest" interview I ever had was from eBay (and also the only one that cared about references.) Both Shaw and Rogers (in Canada) I've interviewed for and never hear back from, even after an interview. Telus I never got past the computer-based interview process with them. Rogers is still sending me random job listings every two weeks or so, so "we will keep your resume on file" is a flat out lie. (FWIW I've also not applied or interviewed with any of these companies in a few years, so they could have changed their tactics, or they might be worse than last time.)

My suggestion here, really is to really negotiate your contract, and don't settle for the first thing put under your nose. If you are on a shortlist, then it's going to come down to whoever was more impressive. Seeing things from the other side, either directly or indirectly, a lot of hiring decisions come down to the manager of the department, which will be someone you actually spoke to during the hiring process, so be nice to everyone.

Tangentially related to above, you're more likely to be hired by someone who can speak English and whatever other language the manager speaks. I've seen this every where I've ever worked, so it works to your advantage if you can communicate in more than one language with the manager.