Program/app called "Lirc" confilcting with DXVK & GCard driver installs

Hi ...

I feel the this is connected to these 2 posts even tho they are about  separate things. 

&

- Yesterday I spent the whole day trying to clear out all files associated with D9VK / DXVK / WINE / Lutris & Gcard drivers from the Os - by using the synaptic package manager.  Once I did this I then used a program called "fslint" to find all duplicate files and merge them, I then used Stacer  & also bleechbit to remove left over junk & then used the "sudo apt purge " & rebooted ( probably overkill but hey) ?

Upon reboot everything seemed good, but then I noticed that a "music" folder had been created (below the rubbish bin) that wasnt there b4 and I could not del/remove it ( any hints how to remove would be great )

2115860178_Screenshotfrom2019-11-1814-37-22.thumb.png.0a980e0acce3392518c3f65feb417292.png

Aside from that I tried to proceed to install Lutris,WINE, DXVK & D9VK via instructions from this sites -

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/09/how-to-use-lutris-to-play-windows-games.html 

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/09/how-to-install-wine-staging-development.html

This is where I kept on noticing errors pop up concerning something called " lirc"??  

From what I can tell it is to do with a Infra-red Blaster/remote ... I dont own anything that needs a IR blaster/remote so Im at a bit of a loss of why this is coming up as a error all the time.

So far it is not letting me install DXVK / D9VK / Extra packages/ winehq-devel / Lutris or the 32 bit Vulkan drivers (see attached logs & open with text editor)

additional libraries: failinstall vulcan errorslutris install errorrecommends winehq-develvulkan-drivers:i386 fail

Is this something that I have caused myself or do i have a random gremlin trolling my Os atm?

I really want to get D9VK & DXVK working so that I can try Lutris & WINE properly .... Im considering a fresh install of PopOs ... could this help or will I face the same issues again?

Open terminal

Do SUDO Bash (warning, SUDOing bash is not generally a good idea but it saves us work later)

Do dpkg -l lirc

Take a screenshot and post it

Don't close terminal yet.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

9 minutes ago, GCandy77 said:

Upon reboot everything seemed good, but then I noticed that a "music" folder had been created (below the rubbish bin) that wasnt there b4 and I could not del/remove it ( any hints how to remove would be great )

Probably just a new feature of the file manager that came with an update.

Yesterday I spent the whole day trying to clear out all files associated with D9VK / DXVK / WINE / Lutris & Gcard drivers from the Os - by using the synaptic package manager.

One question - why? If you were going to reinstall them, why bother?

Once I did this I then used a program called "fslint" to find all duplicate files and merge them, I then used Stacer  & also bleechbit to remove left over junk

Who knows what you nuked by doing this blindly...

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Open terminal

Do SUDO Bash (warning, SUDOing bash is not generally a good idea but it saves us work later)

Do dpkg -l lirc

^This

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Open terminal

Do dpkg -l lirc

Hi & thx for the reply ... Ive ran that but cannot screenshot it as the info goes way way of the page so I copied it all & will paste the result below ...

Spoiler

rob@pop-os:~$ sudo bash
[sudo] password for rob:
root@pop-os:/home/rob# spkg -l lirc

Command 'spkg' not found, did you mean:

command 'dpkg' from deb dpkg (1.19.7ubuntu2)

Try: apt install <deb name>

root@pop-os:/home/rob# dpkg -l lirc
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================================
iF  lirc           0.10.1-6     amd64        Infra-red remote control support - daemons and ut
lines 1-6/6 (END)

+++-==============-============-============-===================================================
iF  lirc           0.10.1-6     amd64        Infra-red remote control support - daemons and util
~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

+++-==============-============-============-====================================================
iF  lirc           0.10.1-6     amd64        Infra-red remote control support - daemons and utils
~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

+++-==============-============-============-====================================================
iF  lirc           0.10.1-6     amd64        Infra-red remote control support - daemons and utils
~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

~
lines 1-6/6 (END)

ouch - hope that helps ?

Edited by LogicalDrm
Cleaned for better readability

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

TBF you're probably right, after that OP is probably better off reinstalling.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

SNIP

Yeah it does, we only needed it once though :D

You should be able to remove it by doing

apt purge lirc

then do

apt autoremove && apt clean

to clean up the install files and remove dependencies. Its possible the second command will do nothing, if so thats fine.

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Probably just a new feature of the file manager that came with an update.

Ok kl

One question - why? If you were going to reinstall them, why bother?

I suppose its still the windows head on me that gave me the thought that the files could be corrupted & so I went ahead and cleaned and re-installed as I would do on WIn - Is this a pointless act in linux ?

I tried to be as careful as possible when using these apps - I did not ask it to clean all system files just the temp ones & empty paths/folders

^This

Done :)

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah it does, we only needed it once though :D

You should be able to remove it by doing

apt purge lirc

then do

apt autoremove && apt clean

to clean up the install files and remove dependencies. Its possible the second command will do nothing, if so thats fine.

Ok Ive done all these and will give the installs another go & let u know the results - Big Thx :)

Can I ask why those files were installed on my Os in the 1st place in case there is something I can do to avoid this in the future?

Also going by what u 2 have advised about the cleaners, are they ok to use & if not .. whats the alternate?

1 minute ago, GCandy77 said:

Ok Ive done all these and will give the installs another go & let u know the results - Big Thx :)

Can I ask why those files were installed on my Os in the 1st place in case there is something I can do to avoid this in the future?

Also going by what u 2 have advised about the cleaners, are they ok to use & if not .. whats the alternate?

No need to manually clean anything.

Use Synaptic or apt to purge a package then do apt clean && apt autoremove to clean up. Linux is very good at keeping itself clean.

9 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

No need to manually clean anything.

Use Synaptic or apt to purge a package then do apt clean && apt autoremove to clean up. Linux is very good at keeping itself clean.

Hmmm ... interesting .. Il give that a go in the future if needed & proceed to remove those progs too.

Thx again for you help & njoy ure evening/day

1 hour ago, GCandy77 said:

I suppose its still the windows head on me that gave me the thought that the files could be corrupted & so I went ahead and cleaned and re-installed as I would do on WIn - Is this a pointless act in linux ?

Not only is it pointless, unless you know what you're doing it can cause plenty of dependency issues.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just to keep you updated ..

After I ran the commands that Master D suggested, I ran back thru the process I was originally trying to perform and I had no errors & it all installed fine .. That problem is now resolved :)  Big thx to you !

On 11/18/2019 at 5:24 PM, Sauron said:

Not only is it pointless, unless you know what you're doing it can cause plenty of dependency issues.

Ironic u say that ... Im actually writing this post from a fresh install of PopOs as I forced the AMDGPU to be used by blacklisting the Radeon driver ( another sites advice ) & upon the reboot I was left with a black screen ... Whoops ???☺️☺️☺️☺️  (ran outta HD space for a repair too ?)

Anyhow .. The good side came when I realized I had managed to re-install the Os, setup it back up to how It was previously & even set some permissions up all in under 2 hours, instead of a 3 days as b4 ... Progress ? 

1 hour ago, GCandy77 said:

Ironic u say that ... Im actually writing this post from a fresh install of PopOs as I forced the AMDGPU to be used by blacklisting the Radeon driver ( another sites advice ) & upon the reboot I was left with a black screen ... Whoops ???☺️☺️☺️☺️  (ran outta HD space for a repair too ?)

Well

On 11/17/2019 at 4:53 PM, Sauron said:

If it's falling back as I suspect then forcing it (e.g. by removing or blacklisting the other driver) would just result in no video.

there you go :P

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 11/19/2019 at 10:50 PM, Sauron said:

Well

there you go :P

Yep u predicted that i remember ?