Is it necessary to get a Overclocking specific PSU for OCing?

13370rn07501137

For example whats the difference between buying a corsair HX series: Corsair HX Series™ modular power supply units are designed for gaming rigs, overclocking systems, or any PC where rock-solid stability is essential. Vs a standard PSU ?

nah, it's not necessary. But, "gaming" grade hardware tends to be higher quality and expected to be used with the intention of performance and OC-ing :D 

Something like a 80+ bronze certified with wattage overhead is A*

Elven 

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

no. If you have overhead with your wattage then just get anything.

That is assuming the PSU is good enough not to explode under load :P

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I've made a post on it a while back

"The DC quality output of the unit is indeed important and can potentially have an affect on your overclocks as explain by Phaedrus2129 of OCN. Typically, though, most mid-range to high-end motherboard VRMs and filtering capacitor are able to deal with it and ensure there's no ripple reaches the CPU. Not to mentioned, that many quality PSUs, has excellent ripple suppression that is well within half of ATX spec.

What you should worry about is the voltage regulation of the PSU. This isn't about how close you can keep the voltage to it's nominal value (12.24v is within 2% of the 12v rail), but rather the ability to keep that value stable (12.24v drops to 11.9v which equates to a 2.86% regulation). Poor v.reg can drive the operating voltages for the CPU / GPU higher to compensate for the larger voltage drop, which in turn can have an effect of the stability of your system.

There have been occasion where people who install a more power hungry graphic card and no longer able to keep their original overclock. This was not due to insufficient power, but rather, a larger load caused a larger voltage drop, which increasing the voltage up a notch help achieve that stability once again."

A power supply can indeed have an affect on your overclock, even if you have a properly rated unit. Of course, after a certain point the returns start to diminish, where it likely won't significantly affect most users outside of LN2 / DICE overclocking and such. I would still recommend getting at least an independent / DC-DC regulated PSU, if you have the money to do so and using it to power a high-end system.

For example whats the difference between buying a corsair HX series: Corsair HX Series™ modular power supply units are designed for gaming rigs, overclocking systems, or any PC where rock-solid stability is essential. Vs a standard PSU ?

Marketing. That's all it is. It's all about the wattage and how much amperage you have on the 12V rail.

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •