First time. Please be gentle.

Hi guys, looking to buy all my parts during black friday/boxing week sales. It’ll be the first PC that I’m putting together on my own.

1. Budget & Location

2000 CAD (+200 max; without peripherals). Would prefer to keep it on the lower side so I can use the money on monitors and peripherals.

2. Aim

To mainly game on a 1440p 144hz monitor. Mostly into single player/rpg/cinematic games. Will be playing titles like Cyberpunk/RDR 2 and also similar games released in the past 5 yrs or so (like tomb raider and assassin’s creed series).

I also recently started using Blender. Not professionally, just as a hobby. Might lead to using other audio/video editing in the future as well so would like to keep this option open.

Other than that, just regular use. Usually have about 50-80 tabs open on Firefox, listen to music and have a few apps running in the background.

I should also mention I never turn off my PC. It’s on 24/7 unless I’m going way for a weekend.

3. Monitors

Havent bought any but planning to get one 32” 1440p 120hz+ (something like tuf gaming vg32vq or dell s3220dgf) If you guys have any recommendations, I’ll take it (fyi I also had a thread in the monitor forum but not much luck). And then eventually I’ll add a 4K monitor.

4. Peripherals

What are some good wireless KBs and mice? I really like the Corsair lapboard but I need a small mouse because I have tiny hands…..think Deadpool haha

5. Why are you upgrading?

Current PC is too old (1st gen intel i5). Cant even keep up with the regular workload. Unable to game/render.

Here is the PC Part Picker list

Questions/Notes

1 - I know the PSU is overkill and some consider the OLED panel just a gimmick but I kinda like that gimmick…..sorry I guess?.....But if you guys know of any performance issues, I’ll gladly change it though.

2 - For RAM - should I go for tighter timing but 3200? It’s $5 more. I’ve been reading Ryzen loves fast memory so that’s why I chose the 3600 plus it’s $5 cheaper. And I don’t have to have RGB memory so if there is a better alternative without RGB (like Ripjaws V), I’ll consider it. Thanks.

3 - As for why I chose x570, because I read that it will be supported for the next few gens. And I plan/hope to upgrade in a few years. If there is a better x570 board with similar price let me know.

4 - The case (GT501) is at it’s lowest I’ve seen in the past 3-4 months. Should I buy it now or still wait couple of weeks? I just don’t Amazon to jack up the price.

5 – I didn’t add any SATA HDD because I bought a 10TB Seagate Backup+ that I’m planning to shuck.

6 - Do I need a better cooler than the Wraith Prism if I'm not planning to oc? I mean I might just try to see 'if I can' but it wont be anything heavy or permanent. 

Sorry for the long post, hope I didn’t miss anything. Thanks for any advice.

29 minutes ago, AlienKing said:

As for why I chose x570, because I read that it will be supported for the next few gens

Ryzen will only get one more update on this socket, the 4000 series. Still a really solid board in its own right though.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Hello,

I made some changes and everything is a little better apart from the PSU, as good but way less expensive and enough.

19 minutes ago, AlienKing said:

Questions/Notes

1 - I know the PSU is overkill and some consider the OLED panel just a gimmick but I kinda like that gimmick…..sorry I guess?.....But if you guys know of any performance issues, I’ll gladly change it though.

2 - For RAM - should I go for tighter timing but 3200? It’s $5 more. I’ve been reading Ryzen loves fast memory so that’s why I chose the 3600 plus it’s $5 cheaper. And I don’t have to have RGB memory so if there is a better alternative without RGB (like Ripjaws V), I’ll consider it. Thanks.

3 - As for why I chose x570, because I read that it will be supported for the next few gens. And I plan/hope to upgrade in a few years. If there is a better x570 board with similar price let me know.

4 - The case (GT501) is at it’s lowest I’ve seen in the past 3-4 months. Should I buy it now or still wait couple of weeks? I just don’t Amazon to jack up the price.

5 – I didn’t add any SATA HDD because I bought a 10TB Seagate Backup+ that I’m planning to shuck.

6 - Do I need a better cooler than the Wraith Prism if I'm not planning to oc? I mean I might just try to see 'if I can' but it wont be anything heavy or permanent. 

Sorry for the long post, hope I didn’t miss anything. Thanks for any advice.

1. I changed it.

2. 3600 is the sweet spot for Zen 2. I saw a 2x16Gb kit for 160€ CL19 instead otherwise it's the best 2x16Gb 3600MHz CL18 I saw for the price.

3. You can go for a B450 MSI Tomahawk MAX for half the price too but it won't have integrated Wi-Fi.

4. I change it because it's a little expensive. The H500 is quieter with a better airflow.

5. All good then, I just swapped the NVMe for a better one (speed and endurance).

6. If you don't OC, you can keep the Wraith Prism, it can do a little overclock too.

I destroyed your Asus/TUF build sorry :P 

29 minutes ago, AlienKing said:

What are some good wireless KBs and mice? I really like the Corsair lapboard but I need a small mouse because I have tiny hands…..think Deadpool haha

The G305 is a good mouse and tiny https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Yrw7YJ/logitech-g305-black-wireless-optical-mouse-910-005280

Do you want a mechanical keyboard ?

23 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Ryzen will only get one more update on this socket, the 4000 series. Still a really solid board in its own right though.

Really? I swear I thought I read it will be supported longer. Must have read it wrong. What about x470?

23 hours ago, Plouffe said:

Hello,

I made some changes and everything is a little better apart from the PSU, as good but way less expensive and enough.

1. I changed it.

Hi!

So 550 is enough? I was originally thinking 650 should be safe option. But anywho, I'm trying to save up a little bit more money in the coming weeks so I can still get Thor (hopefully on sale). Performance wise, it's a good PSU right?

Type Item Price

Video Card Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC 3X Video Card $694.99 @ Vuugo

Any specific reason for choosing 2070s? Because I will be using Blender. Wouldnt it be better to have 5700xt or am i mistaken?

3. You can go for a B450 MSI Tomahawk MAX for half the price too but it won't have integrated Wi-Fi.

Sorry I was so sure I added the non-wifi board to my list. But yea, I dont NEED wifi but nice to have.

Looked up B450 MAX, doesnt it also need support 3600 RAM? Can I just enable it in bios? I also wanted 2xM.2 slots. But otherwise it looks decent.

4. I change it because it's a little expensive. The H500 is quieter with a better airflow.

Unfortunately, I dont prefer that much RGB in the front. I like RGB, but when it's subtle. And TUF case seems to do the job. Are there any other cases similar in that regard?

Also if it helps, I like odd designs on cases (something like CM C700M, or CM K500) Price is out of my league on that one.

I got nothing against CM, the case I have right now is actually CM. They are great. Just wanted to get something different.

I destroyed your Asus/TUF build sorry :P

Haha no worries. To be honest, originally, I wanted to do a complete Asus/TUF build (including RAM, heatsink, SSD, etc) But all that went out the window once I started looking at price/performance. Unfortunate because I think it's a pretty cool aesthetic.

The G305 is a good mouse and tiny https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Yrw7YJ/logitech-g305-black-wireless-optical-mouse-910-005280

Do you want a mechanical keyboard ?

I shall look up G305. Thanks.

Do I want a mechanical keyboard? Yes.

Do I need one? Probably not.

Doesnt have to be red switches. But I do need something with media controls.

7 minutes ago, AlienKing said:

Really? I swear I thought I read it will be supported longer. Must have read it wrong. What about x470?

All current Ryzen motherboards are on the same support cycle (with some exceptions)

Basically anything that uses the AM4 socket gets Ryzen 4000 support, although maybe B350, X370, and A320 will be left out of that, we have yet to see what room there is in the BIOS chip to get that done.

In 2021 we'll see a new socket, maybe it'll be AM4+, maybe it'll be AM5

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 minutes ago, AlienKing said:

Hi!

So 550 is enough? I was originally thinking 650 should be safe option. But anywho, I'm trying to save up a little bit more money in the coming weeks so I can still get Thor (hopefully on sale). Performance wise, it's a good PSU right?

Get it only if it goes to the same price as the RMx, it's an overpriced unit tbh. And yes 550w is enough.

9 minutes ago, AlienKing said:

Any specific reason for choosing 2070s? Because I will be using Blender. Wouldnt it be better to have 5700xt or am i mistaken?

I think CUDA is better for blender, if I'm mistaken the 5700XT is the best option from AMD.

10 minutes ago, AlienKing said:

Sorry I was so sure I added the non-wifi board to my list. But yea, I dont NEED wifi but nice to have.

Looked up B450 MAX, doesnt it also need support 3600 RAM? Can I just enable it in bios? I also wanted 2xM.2 slots. But otherwise it looks decent.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/h7WBD3/msi-b450m-mortar-max-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-mortar-max

This the only MAX that have 2 M.2 slots and it's mATX (weird but OK), it's as good as the Tomahawk. It supports up to 4133MHz for Zen 2.

14 minutes ago, AlienKing said:

Unfortunately, I dont prefer that much RGB in the front. I like RGB, but when it's subtle. And TUF case seems to do the job. Are there any other cases similar in that regard?

Also if it helps, I like odd designs on cases (something like CM C700M, or CM K500) Price is out of my league on that one.

I got nothing against CM, the case I have right now is actually CM. They are great. Just wanted to get something different.

Then I guess it's fine, the 3700x and 2070S aren't that hot anyway. You can also turn off RGB :P. The Phanteks P350X is similar for less and the P400A has a mesh front instead with RGB fans (turn them off too) for less also.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/zHndnQ/phanteks-eclipse-p350x-blackwhite-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec350ptg_dbw

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/3RJmP6/phanteks-eclipse-p400a-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec400atg_bk

20 minutes ago, AlienKing said:

Haha no worries. To be honest, originally, I wanted to do a complete Asus/TUF build (including RAM, heatsink, SSD, etc) But all that went out the window once I started looking at price/performance. Unfortunate because I think it's a pretty cool aesthetic.

Yeah the x570 TUF and Thor PSU are good but overpriced :( 

20 minutes ago, AlienKing said:

Do I want a mechanical keyboard? Yes.

Do I need one? Probably not.

Doesnt have to be red switches. But I do need something with media controls.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/PGjWGX/logitech-g213-prodigy-wired-gaming-keyboard-920-008083 non mechanical but RGB + media controls.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Njx2FT/corsair-k68-rgb-wired-gaming-keyboard-ch-9102011-na mechanical RGB + media controls and more expensive.

On 11/17/2019 at 10:06 AM, Fasauceome said:

All current Ryzen motherboards are on the same support cycle (with some exceptions)

Basically anything that uses the AM4 socket gets Ryzen 4000 support, although maybe B350, X370, and A320 will be left out of that, we have yet to see what room there is in the BIOS chip to get that done.

In 2021 we'll see a new socket, maybe it'll be AM4+, maybe it'll be AM5

Oh cool, thanks. May be i can go with the TUF 470 or even Strix 470.

On 11/17/2019 at 10:31 AM, Plouffe said:

Get it only if it goes to the same price as the RMx, it's an overpriced unit tbh. And yes 550w is enough.

Aite gotcha

I think CUDA is better for blender, if I'm mistaken the 5700XT is the best option from AMD.

Hmm. What would be the best 2070 super under 1000 CAD?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/h7WBD3/msi-b450m-mortar-max-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-mortar-max

This the only MAX that have 2 M.2 slots and it's mATX (weird but OK), it's as good as the Tomahawk. It supports up to 4133MHz for Zen 2.

Seems like the MAX version is not available here in Canada. Only this, and it has 2 M.2 slots. But a lot more expensive than the TUF board.

Then I guess it's fine, the 3700x and 2070S aren't that hot anyway. You can also turn off RGB :P. The Phanteks P350X is similar for less and the P400A has a mesh front instead with RGB fans (turn them off too) for less also.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/zHndnQ/phanteks-eclipse-p350x-blackwhite-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec350ptg_dbw

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/3RJmP6/phanteks-eclipse-p400a-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec400atg_bk

The P350X looks nice. It's already cheap but I'll keep an eye out for sale. Thanks.

Yeah the x570 TUF and Thor PSU are good but overpriced :(

? true

?...wireless...sorry...?‍♂️

3 minutes ago, AlienKing said:

Hmm. What would be the best 2070 super under 1000 CAD?

There is one in the build I made (700$).

4 minutes ago, AlienKing said:

Seems like the MAX version is not available here in Canada. Only this, and it has 2 M.2 slots. But a lot more expensive than the TUF board.

Keep the TUF then :), it's still a better motherboard in all aspects.

4 minutes ago, AlienKing said:

?...wireless...sorry...?‍♂️

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/28MTwP/corsair-k57-rgb-bluetooth-wireless-gaming-keyboard-ch-925c015-na not mechanical but RGB + media controls.

1 hour ago, AlienKing said:

Oh cool, thanks. May be i can go with the TUF 470 or even Strix 470.

I would not recommend the X470 TUF, it's worlds different than the X570 TUF

Primary PC:

On 11/19/2019 at 9:21 AM, Fasauceome said:

I would not recommend the X470 TUF, it's worlds different than the X570 TUF

Gotcha thanks.

On 11/19/2019 at 8:04 AM, Plouffe said:

There is one in the build I made (700$).

Keep the TUF then :), it's still a better motherboard in all aspects.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/28MTwP/corsair-k57-rgb-bluetooth-wireless-gaming-keyboard-ch-925c015-na not mechanical but RGB + media controls.

Awesome thanks. ?

With cinematic AAA titles in mind, you could likely get into 4K at your budget. 4k at 60fps is more suited to the cinematic. That higher refresh rate is more for esports shooters and such. 

On 11/21/2019 at 9:42 AM, trevb0t said:

With cinematic AAA titles in mind, you could likely get into 4K at your budget. 4k at 60fps is more suited to the cinematic. That higher refresh rate is more for esports shooters and such. 

Yea thought about it as well. I'm thinking of adding a second 4k monitor down the line. Only issue is finding something with good HDR because I wanna be able to watch HDR movies and some of these HDR monitors are very expensive right now. Like 2000 CAD or above.

6 hours ago, AlienKing said:

Yea thought about it as well. I'm thinking of adding a second 4k monitor down the line. Only issue is finding something with good HDR because I wanna be able to watch HDR movies and some of these HDR monitors are very expensive right now. Like 2000 CAD or above.

Keep in mind that since you are looking at 60FPS anyway, a small 4K HDR with 60hz refresh TV can be had for pretty cheap. I know a TV is less ideal for many reasons, but with the modern refresh rates on them, I think the line is blurring substantially.