I have two system reserved files and I don't know how it got there?

So My storage config is a bit odd. I have a normal boot drive but for my setup it is set to be just the boot drive a 120gb NVME drive. And all the folders u see in Windows File explorer have there location changed so that they get downloaded to a different. Drive for me its the 500gb Sata SSD.

I've never had issues until one day when I was cloning drives a second System reserved (D:) drive was created on my 500gb SSD windows file drive. What i was doing is cloning my OS from the 500gb SSD to the 120gb SSD.

So what I wanna do is the following:

- I've just left it since I couldn't figure it out and it wasn't harming anything.

- But now I want to clone the 500gb SSD to my new 1tb main storage device. And I don't really wanna clone over the drive if its a bit messy. 

These are the drives and there respected allocated spaces. for reference.

Annotation 2019-11-11 121121.jpg

If u want a response then YOU'D best Quote me so I can see it.

Shouldn't have to say this but the few ruin it for them all......

That's not a file, that's a partition. It's created by Windows and contains its boot loader and some support files in case your boot drive is encrypted. At least the one that's on your boot drive (Disk 3, right?).

Can't you just clone/copy the E-partition to Disk 1 and then extend it to fill the drive?

Since D has a drive letter and is not at the start of the drive, it looks like this was created by mistake? There's also some unallocated space after it... it's possible you can simply delete it and extend the E-partition to fill DIsk 2.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

That's not a file, that's a partition. It's created by Windows and contains its boot loader and some support files in case your boot drive is encrypted. At least the one that's on your boot drive (Disk 3, right?).

Thats my issue tho, the issue is that theres two of them and I don't know what one uses file from which boot loader

Can't you just clone/copy the E-partition to Disk 1 and then extend it to fill the drive?

I was thinking that but I thought maybe windows is running off this D partion and I don't even know it. If not running off it directly then perhaps some files are shared on it and when I remove it it just won't boot.

Hence why I'm here I wanna figure out wtf that D (system reserved file is on the E drive before I go deleting things.

Since D has a drive letter and is not at the start of the drive, it looks like this was created by mistake? There's also some unallocated space after it... it's possible you can simply delete it and extend the E-partition to fill DIsk 2.

The unallocated space is from Samsungs utility it helps the drive live longer if it doesn't fill up entirely.

10 minutes ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

Thats my issue tho, the issue is that theres two of them and I don't know what one uses file from which boot loader

I was thinking that but I thought maybe windows is running off this D partion and I don't even know it. If not running off it directly then perhaps some files are shared on it and when I remove it it just won't boot.

Hence why I'm here I wanna figure out wtf that D (system reserved file is on the E drive before I go deleting things.

The unallocated space is from Samsungs utility it helps the drive live longer if it doesn't fill up entirely.

A simple check would be to remove/disconnect all disks except Disk 3 (with the computer shut down of course), and see if your computer is still able to boot :D. If it isn't you can simple reconnect them.

The tool is telling you that System Reserved on Disk 3 is "boot", while "C:" is "Active & System", so that should be where Windows is installed.

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

A simple check would be to remove/disconnect all disks except Disk 3 (with the computer shut down of course), and see if your computer is still able to boot :D. If it isn't you can simple reconnect them.

nothing wrong when i did it

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

The tool is telling you that System Reserved on Disk 3 is "boot", while "C:" is "Active & System", so that should be where Windows is installed.

Ok so u think its safe to clone the bigger partition on E drive and just leave the other one if it says active?? What does that mean. What I'm thinking is that it means its sharing something with the real boot drive.

6 hours ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

nothing wrong when i did it

Then those partitions should be safe to clone, remove, etc. Since D isn't taking up much space no real loss in leaving it be though :)

6 hours ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

Ok so u think its safe to clone the bigger partition on E drive and just leave the other one if it says active?? What does that mean. What I'm thinking is that it means its sharing something with the real boot drive.

Active means "bootable". So you could go into bios and tell it to boot from that drive. Doesn't mean it's the one you booted from though. Since this was previously your system drive, I'm thinking this was left over when you turned Disk 3 into your boot drive.

On 11/11/2019 at 11:17 PM, Eigenvektor said:

Then those partitions should be safe to clone, remove, etc. Since D isn't taking up much space no real loss in leaving it be though :)

Active means "bootable". So you could go into bios and tell it to boot from that drive. Doesn't mean it's the one you booted from though. Since this was previously your system drive, I'm thinking this was left over when you turned Disk 3 into your boot drive.

U were right........

I wiped all partitions from the Old SSD and then cloned it over. Windows couldnt' tell what was what, but another user helped me and Once I swapped the drive letters back to what they were before the clone and wipe process they worked fine after a reboot of course. 

Now I'm just having the issue of the programs folder and download folder not being allowed to be deleted from the OLD ssd. Windows justs keeps adding it back for some reason.