Question: Is there a way to prevent drifting onto other screens in a multi-display setup?

Go to solution Solved by Flojer0,

Well I've certainly never heard of someone being distracted by the cursor.. It's usually the issue of not being able to find it for me

You could use arrow keys or page up/down

Spacebar and shift-spacebar will also do it. 

That was more so one example of where I have issues with multi-monitor configs. I mean, really, I usually turn off all my other monitors and disconnect them in Windows unless I feel I will actually use them. Otherwise, I don't. Because of this very reason. Not strictly because of when I browse websites, but, in general, me managing something and the cursor going to another monitor which interrupts my workflow. 

Like, it's a minimal distraction, but if I could mitigate it, that'd be great. Read below for more insight into why that won't work for me.

Neither of my other monitors are suitable for it. 

I have multiple monitors. But I don't have them setup how you might imagine it. One monitor is almost completely out of sight for me. It's where my Virtual machine is running so that other people can use my computer when I'm on it. It's not the issue though.

My other monitor is to my left (the virtual machine monitor is left of that monitor), but it's for monitoring things. SGMiner, downloads, etc etc. Things I rarely interact with but want to see to make sure it's running. It's the issue. 

So moving this webpage to another monitor isn't a good solution.

Reading this I wonder if going into settings and telling the OS that the monitors are above or below your primary might be a reasonable compromise. That way you don't accidentally go to the side because the computer won't have a monitor there.

Hi guys,

I currently have 3 monitors I'm using. However, when scrolling or something similar, I tend to pull my mouse over to one side of the web page I'm on to make viewing it better (it distracts me). 

Sometimes I accidentally move the mouse to another monitor which causes the screen to stop scrolling. First world problem, I know. I was just wondering if there is something to help prevent this.

One idea I had was making it so that you couldn't move to another monitor unless you were holding down a certain key. Like CTRL. Or something. So you were boxed into the display your mouse is currently on unless you were holding a certain key. 

Though I'm not sure what to look for in that regard, so I thought I'd ask here. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Vitalius.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well I've certainly never heard of someone being distracted by the cursor.. It's usually the issue of not being able to find it for me

Error: 410

Drag the web page to one of the side monitors?

That was more so one example of where I have issues with multi-monitor configs. I mean, really, I usually turn off all my other monitors and disconnect them in Windows unless I feel I will actually use them. Otherwise, I don't. Because of this very reason. Not strictly because of when I browse websites, but, in general, me managing something and the cursor going to another monitor which interrupts my workflow. 

Like, it's a minimal distraction, but if I could mitigate it, that'd be great. Read below for more insight into why that won't work for me.

Drag the web page to one of the side monitors?

I have multiple monitors. But I don't have them setup how you might imagine it. One monitor is almost completely out of sight for me. It's where my Virtual machine is running so that other people can use my computer when I'm on it. It's not the issue though.

My other monitor is to my left (the virtual machine monitor is left of that monitor), but it's for monitoring things. SGMiner, downloads, etc etc. Things I rarely interact with but want to see to make sure it's running. It's the issue. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Are you moving your mouse to the left? If so move it to the right and use arrow keys to scroll web pages. I have to do this so I can web browse. 

Do you use any multi monitor software?

Reading this I wonder if going into settings and telling the OS that the monitors are above or below your primary might be a reasonable compromise. That way you don't accidentally go to the side because the computer won't have a monitor there.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Are you moving your mouse to the left? If so move it to the right and use arrow keys to scroll web pages. I have to do this so I can web browse.

But that requires me to take my hand off the mouse. Which means that if I want to click on something, I have to move my hand back. 

... That's one of my pet peeves. I hate inefficiency. So hand transitions bother me.

Do you use any multi monitor software?

Nope. And it should be noted that my other two monitors are auxiliary monitors. Like, they only get used when I need to do something specific. Such as the VM and monitoring stuff. 

So if multi-monitor software requires setting things up repeatedly, it would be equally annoying. Though I doubt any real software would be that way.

† Christian Member †

But that requires me to take my hand off the mouse. Which means that if I want to click on something, I have to move my hand back. 

... That's one of my pet peeves. I hate inefficiency. So hand transitions bother me.

Nope. And it should be noted that my other two monitors are auxiliary monitors. Like, they only get used when I need to do something specific. Such as the VM and monitoring stuff. 

So if multi-monitor software requires setting things up repeatedly, it would be equally annoying. Though I doubt any real software would be that way.

I would say it's inefficient. It's a bit better IMO, my hands moving more than it would be with a scroll wheel. Keeps my hands from cramping. 

IIRC, Ultramon has a feature for setting a macro to auto center the mouse on the primary monitor. Idk if Displayfusion has that function but it might be worth looking in to. 

It has a free 30 day trial I think so you can see if it works properish or not, the major downside is that it's 40$(?) 

If you're into that you can, you know,

Dr-Evil-Air-Quotes.gif

obtain it

Oh wow. That's great. I didn't realize that. Hmm, that fixes the problem of hand transitions. I'll try that out for a while and see if I'm comfortable with it. 

But in regards to your other comment...

And if I want to use Windows snap to maximize a web page? Or if I go to drag a tab to reorganize mine? 

See, each edge of the monitor has a utility I need. Bottom is task bar. Top is aforementioned Windows Snap and tabs. Right is scroll bar, close button, etc. Left is where I go for dead space to store the cursor. 

That's why I would prefer a key to hold to allow me to transition screens. It bypasses all my problems.

I've tried setting the monitors at the top right and bottom left corners, since they are least used. However, this is a double edged sword. I go off monitor less often, but when I do, since I usually can't see the mouse, I can't get back as easily. Less frequent messups, but when they happen they are worse. 

I know. I'm picky. Sorry guys. But UI is something that I like to be functional, simple, direct and efficient. 

I marked yours as the Solution Flojer0 because Space and Space+Shift works very well for this. The only thing I don't like about it is that I can't use it for other scroll bars. i.e. the one in the reply box text field. But hey, that might be changing soon... I hope.

† Christian Member †

And if I want to use Windows snap to maximize a web page? Or if I go to drag a tab to reorganize mine? 

See, each edge of the monitor has a utility I need. Bottom is task bar. Top is aforementioned Windows Snap and tabs. Right is scroll bar, close button, etc. Left is where I go for dead space to store the cursor. 

That's why I would prefer a key to hold to allow me to transition screens. It bypasses all my problems.

Windows key plus an arrow key will snap a window. windows up will maximize, windows left will snap to the left half, right to the right half. And windows down will minimize. If you want more granularity in your windows snap controls I can also recommend a little utility called WindowPad. With it you can use windows key plus numpad to snap to quadrants and even upper and lower halves (works wonders with portrait monitors). Though the basic aero snap shortcut will probably do, I only recommend WindowPad in case the basics aren't good enough.

http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/19990-windowpad-window-moving-tool/

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Windows key plus an arrow key will snap a window. windows up will maximize, windows left will snap to the left half, right to the right half. And windows down will minimize. If you want more granularity in your windows snap controls I can also recommend a little utility called WindowPad. With it you can use windows key plus numpad to snap to quadrants and even upper and lower halves (works wonders with portrait monitors). Though the basic aero snap shortcut will probably do, I only recommend WindowPad in case the basics aren't good enough.

http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/19990-windowpad-window-moving-tool/

You had me at Quadrants. 

Thank you so much. I remembered vaguely there was a program that did this, but I never pursued using it. Now I can. Sweeeeet.

† Christian Member †

You had me at Quadrants. 

Thank you so much. I remembered vaguely there was a program that did this, but I never pursued using it. Now I can. Sweeeeet.

You're welcome :) .