RTX 2060 shutting off on main menu of games

Gojirha

My pc is a fresh build, about a month old.

Specs:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler

MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

And finally the supposed culprit :(

PNY GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB XLR8 Gaming Overclocked Edition Video Card

Since release I have been able to run modern warfare 2019 fine, however now when I get to the main menu my monitor loses signal and my graphics card becomes under heavy load (the fans start going off pretty hard)

I replicated this problem in another game too, so it isn't that one in particular, league of legends / minecraft work fine, but overwatch / modern warfare do this.

My first thought was that it is a driver issue, so I used DDU and reverted to the previous version of nvidia drivers. This did not fix my problem.

I removed my graphics card entirely and reslotted it, making sure the wires were in correctly and it all seems fine nothing changed whatsoever.

So far I am at a complete loss, the only suggestions I've seen are to check temperature / power consuption.

But why would the main menu of a game be pushing my graphics card to those limits? Yet if I get into the game it runs fine.

I am also concerned that 550w's are not enough for my system, so I've ordered a 850w power supply to test out and see if that fixes the issue.

5 minutes ago, Gojirha said:

My pc is a fresh build, about a month old.

550W is plenty

is your motherboard bios up to date?

What happens if you drop the power target on the GPU to -50%?

Did you already try a complete reinstall of windows? best practice is keeping it on a small 120-150GB partition so it's easy to reinstall in the future.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

550W is plenty

is your motherboard bios up to date?

What happens if you drop the power target on the GPU to -50%?

Did you already try a complete reinstall of windows? best practice is keeping it on a small 120-150GB partition so it's easy to reinstall in the future.

I flashed bios to a new version so I believe so.

I have no idea how to do this, if you could explain I'd appreciate it?

And I haven't tried that yet but this has come out of nowhere so i'm very confused.

1 minute ago, Gojirha said:

I flashed bios to a new version so I believe so.

I have no idea how to do this, if you could explain I'd appreciate it?

And I haven't tried that yet but this has come out of nowhere so i'm very confused.

Just go to one of the overclocking utilities and drop the power target on the GPU, if it works the problem is either your power supply or GPU silicon/memory

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

8 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Just go to one of the overclocking utilities and drop the power target on the GPU, if it works the problem is either your power supply or GPU silicon/memory

I have msi afterburner, I only see power limit and it is at 100%?

3 hours ago, Gojirha said:

I have msi afterburner, I only see power limit and it is at 100%?

yes, thats what he means.....try and reduce it from 100 to a lower limit. like 75 or even 50%.

This happened to me today (1070) 2 - 3 times on bf5 after i cranked the graphics to all max and all i did was restart the pc and revert to lower graphics setting using geforce experience and things are fine now. Strange

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16