CPU upgrade advice

Hey guys,

I have an intel i5 6400 with a  GTX 960 4gb and 16gb of RAM. I mostly play competitive  games like OW and CS with RPG ( Witcher 3 and Fallout 4) . I am planning to get Metro, RoTR, Cyberpunk.
I play at 1080@60 and so far have no real qualms except for maybe an occasional drop in frame or textures. Frame rates i guess I have become super used to 30fps.
I have been playing with the idea upgrading. But for literally everything else my computer is more than capable so I am a bit hesitant as I feel I would just toss the old parts away. 

Is it worth it to just upgrade just the GPU and if so to which or should I just hold out and upgrade everything entirely.

Idd go upgrade the GPU first. RX5700 seems like a nice fit. After that get a Ryzen5 -> nice 1080p system.

But for Metro etc. GPU power is more important at first

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

39 minutes ago, XXVG said:

I have an intel i5 6400 with a  GTX 960 4gb and 16gb of RAM.

What kind of PSU is that running on?  How old, and what model?  Worth thinking about as you start to update your system so you can double-check that it won't become a liability.

8 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

What kind of PSU is that running on?  How old, and what model?  Worth thinking about as you start to update your system so you can double-check that it won't become a liability.

Hi, I am running a Cooler Master 550w. Its without any certification. I bought it at the same time as the rest of the stuff about 4 years back 

9 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

Idd go upgrade the GPU first. RX5700 seems like a nice fit. After that get a Ryzen5 -> nice 1080p system.

But for Metro etc. GPU power is more important at first

So if I update gpu it won't be bottlenecks by my cpu? 

1 hour ago, XXVG said:

Hi, I am running a Cooler Master 550w. Its without any certification.

If you can be more specific that would help (CoolerMaster has made a crap load of 550W PSU, need more specifics than that to tell for sure).  I did ask for the "model" which may say like "Elite" or something on the side.  That said, if it doesn't even have 80 plus white certification, that's a bit scary, sounds like a super jank chepo model.  May not want to trust it unless you mean something else about "certification"  

8 hours ago, XXVG said:

So if I update gpu it won't be bottlenecks by my cpu? 

Not much. Maybe a bit. But don’t fear 

current bottleneck ist the GPU

so when you upgrade that the CPU becomes the bottleneck but then you can upgrade that

On 11/11/2019 at 10:25 AM, LogicWeasel said:

If you can be more specific that would help (CoolerMaster has made a crap load of 550W PSU, need more specifics than that to tell for sure).  I did ask for the "model" which may say like "Elite" or something on the side.  That said, if it doesn't even have 80 plus white certification, that's a bit scary, sounds like a super jank chepo model.  May not want to trust it unless you mean something else about "certification"  

I checked it just Says Cooler Master and 550w nothing else. But for 4 years it lasted well so  I have no complaints 

Oh

On 11/11/2019 at 5:33 PM, Metallus97 said:

Not much. Maybe a bit. But don’t fear 

current bottleneck ist the GPU

so when you upgrade that the CPU becomes the bottleneck but then you can upgrade that

Oh because my worry is I dont wanna overspend on a card and not get the most out of it. Which would you recommend?

1 minute ago, XXVG said:

I checked it just Says Cooler Master and 550w nothing else. But for 4 years it lasted well so  I have no complaints 

There has to be a model number or something. Can u post a pic?
CM makes crap as well as really nice units

Hi, that's an interesting idea you have linked

On 11/13/2019 at 12:25 AM, 1van said:

What motherboard do you have?

If you are OK with a bit of modding, this is a great idea.

That's an interesting idea. however I am. Running a H110m chipset as I never needed the overclocking ability of the Z chipset 

9 hours ago, XXVG said:

H110m

What board exactly do you have? H110-boards usually have quite a weak VRM, but they will still work with something like i5-9400F, or even an i7-8700 (non-K) with somewhat lowered TDP.