corsair rm 850W any good?

k0enf0rNL

is the corsair rm 850W any good? i've seen bad reviews on the 550W version but thats made by another company.

current rig (march 2023)

case: Corsair obsidian 750D   mobo: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming   cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x   cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240   memory: G.skill 32GB DDR4-3000   gpu: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3  PSU: seasonic X-series 850W

There are better. 

AX860, XFX/Seasonic, CM V series, Hale 92.

Error: 410

well my 4p machine drawing 500-600 ish watts running 24/7 is using that particular psu so well... i really really hope so.. seasonic or any seasonic rebrands are usually a safe bet..

I use it and i think the rn series is amazing

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

well my 4p machine drawing 500-600 ish watts running 24/7 is using that particular psu so well... i really really hope so.. seasonic or any seasonic rebrands are usually a safe bet..

how long have you been using the psu?

current rig (march 2023)

case: Corsair obsidian 750D   mobo: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming   cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x   cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240   memory: G.skill 32GB DDR4-3000   gpu: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3  PSU: seasonic X-series 850W

how long have you been using the psu?

Considering how the RM series was release in October-ish of 2013 not long enough to see if the cons will be an issue.

If the issue with the RM650 you heard about has to do with Oklahoma Wolf's review at Jonnyguru.com regarding two of the +5v wires not working on the 24-pin, then that's a non-issue. As Wolf had said, on a modern day setup, the amount of current passing through the working wires is high enough to affect reliability and performance. Even if it does, that issue had already being address before the first shipment of the RM450-650 had been sent.

Anyways, from a performance and quality standpoint, the RM series isn't on par with the other high-end unit in the same price point (at least the price point here in the US), in which I personally would recommend one of those over the RM series. The RM series isn't a terrible unit though and is a viable option if you are looking for something to power your system that is quiet and fully modular.

Considering how the RM series was release in October-ish of 2013 not long enough to see if the cons will be an issue.

If the issue with the RM650 you heard about has to do with Oklahoma Wolf's review at Jonnyguru.com regarding two of the +5v wires not working on the 24-pin, then that's a non-issue. As Wolf had said, on a modern day setup, the amount of current passing through the working wires is high enough to affect reliability and performance. Even if it does, that issue had already being address before the first shipment of the RM450-650 had been sent.

Anyways, from a performance and quality standpoint, the RM series isn't on par with the other high-end unit in the same price point (at least the price point here in the US), in which I personally would recommend one of those over the RM series. The RM series isn't a terrible unit though and is a viable option if you are looking for something to power your system that is quiet and fully modular.

i mean this review: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/13/corsair_rm750_750w_power_supply_review/9#.UvSS6Pl5PYE

current rig (march 2023)

Oh, in your initial post, you mentioned the RM550 about bad reviews.

Anyways, the major problem with that review sample that [H] had found is that the unit got dangerously hot, and despite of that, the fan did not turned on causing a protection (OTP) to trip and shut the unit off. It was a considering issue that I had been worry about when seeing the review initally at Techpowerup.

However, it is because of that review, Corsair had address that problem and came up a fix a few weeks later. All unit that had made after 41st week of 2013 (after October 19) should have been fix. Since it has been nearly four months, the stores inventory should be stocked up this unit, so the shut issue shouldn't be an issue.

The other issue that had been discuss numerous of times is that the RM series uses low quality caps, in which many people are worry about the longevity of them. It's a legitimate concern; however, Corsair is confident that the caps will outlast its 5 year warranty even if your were to run it 24/7 at full load, which you more than likely won't be doing.

I'm running a couple of RM series since I've had a lot of issues with PSU coil whine in the past and I've had no such issues with the RMs. They're quality units.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

I'm running a couple of RM series since I've had a lot of issues with PSU coil whine in the past and I've had no such issues with the RMs. They're quality units.

not necessarily, RM PSU are a mid quality/range PSu designed to specifically not have coil whine or make any noise for that matter

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Oh, in your initial post, you mentioned the RM550 about bad reviews.

Anyways, the major problem with that review sample that [H] had found is that the unit got dangerously hot, and despite of that, the fan did not turned on causing a protection (OTP) to trip and shut the unit off. It was a considering issue that I had been worry about when seeing the review initally at Techpowerup.

However, it is because of that review, Corsair had address that problem and came up a fix a few weeks later. All unit that had made after 41st week of 2013 (after October 19) should have been fix. Since it has been nearly four months, the stores inventory should be stocked up this unit, so the shut issue shouldn't be an issue.

The other issue that had been discuss numerous of times is that the RM series uses low quality caps, in which many people are worry about the longevity of them. It's a legitimate concern; however, Corsair is confident that the caps will outlast its 5 year warranty even if your were to run it 24/7 at full load, which you more than likely won't be doing.

thanks for explaining to me :). i will get the 850W then. i hope i don't get trouble with it. can i turn off the zero rpm feature?

current rig (march 2023)

thanks for explaining to me :). i will get the 850W then. i hope i don't get trouble with it. can i turn off the zero rpm feature?

No, the RM doesn't provide you the ability to turn-off "Zero RPM" mode and have the unit actively cool at lower loads.

A possible option you can consider is the XFX ProSeries 850w Black Edition. http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/362104/xfx-pro-series-full-modular-edition-%28gold%29-850w.html

Like the Corsair AX860, it based on the higher-end Seasonic KM3 design but doesn't meet platinum efficiency and does uses a lower quality fan.

No, the RM doesn't provide you the ability to turn-off "Zero RPM" mode and have the unit actively cool at lower loads.

A possible option you can consider is the XFX ProSeries 850w Black Edition. http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/362104/xfx-pro-series-full-modular-edition-%28gold%29-850w.html

Like the Corsair AX860, it based on the higher-end Seasonic KM3 design but doesn't meet platinum efficiency and does uses a lower quality fan.

those are more expansive i will got with the rm 850W. going to buy a new pc in 5 years anyway.

current rig (march 2023)

Just keep in mind, if you get a nice, durable PSU now, it will last you 5-10 years and through many builds. 

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

not necessarily, RM PSU are a mid quality/range PSu designed to specifically not have coil whine or make any noise for that matter

That's exactly what I was saying: I specifically purchased them to resolve my coil whine issues with previous power supply units and they've done a great job in doing so.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn