Computer Shutting Off Issue

Jlb90

I've been have a problem with my computer build for a couple days now. It's worked fine for over a year now but recently if I start up any kind of semi high graphics game (Spyro Remastered at 110 FPS) my computer will shut itself off after about 5 minutes of playing.

Originally I thought i had a GPU problem because it was only turn on with one fan and get over 90 degrees before shutting off but after a driver update both fans now work and it only got up to 70 degrees during the latest shut off. I have to unplug the computer and plug it back into the PSU for the computer to be able to turn back on. If I have no game playing though the computer is able to stay on 24/7 with no issues at all.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jlb/saved/

Sounds like you may have a PSU problem.  You might have to purchase a new one.  I would recommend a corsair CX550M or Fractal Design Integra M 650W PSU.

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1500x OC 3.9 GHz
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 Tomahawk
  • RAM
    G-skill Ripjaws 2x8GB 2400MHz
  • GPU
    Gigabyte GTX 1080
  • Case
    Thermaltake View 71
  • Storage
    Samsung 970 Pro (512GB). WD Blue 7200 RPM (1TB). Kingston A400 (120GB).
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 750W (80+ Bronze)
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black LTT Edition

Sorry for the late reply..i just posted that before work. I didn't know a faulty PSU could cause the graphics card to overheat by so much (tonight could only get the fans going if i did it through the GPU program). Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try to grab a new PSU soon and see if that fixes my issue!

From the build link..should 550W be high enough or should I try for a little extra?

1 hour ago, Jlb90 said:

From the build link..should 550W be high enough or should I try for a little extra?

A rule of thumb is never make your PSU work at more than 80% of its max wattage. Your estimated power draw is around 400 which is 80% of 500 so I'd recommend going 600-650W to give yourself some more room for future upgrades. 

I've had a 400W Chinese psu power an almost 400w system and never had any problems for years, so consider the possibility of buying a new psu and finding out that it was not really the problem...

I'd recommend playing around with spare parts if you have any - faulty cables could cause random issues, could be a GPU issue as well although most of those lead to some kind of a crash (driver, windows and usually a reboot), and god forbid - an issue with your mobo or/and cpu.

Run some diagnostics and replace cables if possible cause they are usually cheaper than a part replacement, clean the pc - hardware and software and see if it fixes it. Then get a new PSU to rule out that option. That's at least what I'd do ?

2 hours ago, George. said:

A rule of thumb is never make your PSU work at more than 80% of its max wattage. Your estimated power draw is around 400 which is 80% of 500 so I'd recommend going 600-650W to give yourself some more room for future upgrades. 

I've had a 400W Chinese psu power an almost 400w system and never had any problems for years, so consider the possibility of buying a new psu and finding out that it was not really the problem...

I'd recommend playing around with spare parts if you have any - faulty cables could cause random issues, could be a GPU issue as well although most of those lead to some kind of a crash (driver, windows and usually a reboot), and god forbid - an issue with your mobo or/and cpu.

Run some diagnostics and replace cables if possible cause they are usually cheaper than a part replacement, clean the pc - hardware and software and see if it fixes it. Then get a new PSU to rule out that option. That's at least what I'd do ?

Thanks for all the helpful tips!

I've fooled around with a couple cables but I don't have many options with me at the moment. So far I've updated my drivers, cleaned the inside of the pc, forced my fans on the GPU to keep my GPU temp at around 60/70 but still getting random shut downs anyway even though it takes a little longer (the rgb stays on the motherboard even after the system shuts off so really hoping that and the CPU are fine lol. The CPU def stays cool).

Only seems to happen when the GPU is used for high graphics games so my original guess was either the GPU is going..but it's not overheated when the computer shuts down. Or the one I'm hoping it is, is that the psu shuts off from sending the GPU to much power which I think is why I need to compleatly unplug the power from the back of the tower before it will turn back on. 

3 minutes ago, Jlb90 said:

Thanks for all the helpful tips!

I've fooled around with a couple cables but I don't have many options with me at the moment. So far I've updated my drivers, cleaned the inside of the pc, forced my fans on the GPU to keep my GPU temp at around 60/70 but still getting random shut downs anyway even though it takes a little longer (the rgb stays on the motherboard even after the system shuts off so really hoping that and the CPU are fine lol. The CPU def stays cool).

Only seems to happen when the GPU is used for high graphics games so my original guess was either the GPU is going..but it's not overheated when the computer shuts down. Or the one I'm hoping it is, is that the psu shuts off from sending the GPU to much power which I think is why I need to compleatly unplug the power from the back of the tower before it will turn back on. 

You could also try running stress tests for different components to be sure that it's a gpu related issue. Try cpu only load for a while, ram only, gpu only... 

Glad to help and hopefully this gets resolved! :)