Dell XPS 15 Alternatives

Vektron

Hey there!

I'm currently looking for a nice 14-15 inch laptop which I am going to use for DJing, programming and some gaming.

My needs are:

- an Intel CPU (can't go AMD because my DJ software does not support AMD CPUs) - I think even an i5 would be fine if it's a quad-core

- 16 GB RAM

- 1TB SSD (or a second M.2 or SATA slot)

- GPU performance around the GTX 1650 mark or higher (willing to compromise here if the rest is excellent, even down to MX250 levels)

- Keyboard backlight (no RGB needed)

High-refresh rate screen is optional, I'd prefer a high-DPI screen (2K or 4K). I'm not sure whether I'd like a full-HD screen at 15 inch. I'm fine with gaming at 1080p on a 4K screen. I'd rather not go OLED, knowing myself, I'll be thinking about not burning out pixels all the time, whether that's still an issue with OLED screens or not.

I'm into nice premium build-quality and a "professional" look, that's why the XPS 15 is my reference. I need a reliable all-around machine with decent(-ish) battery life (when not gaming, of course). I won't be gaming *that* much on it, but I do like options.

Either Windows Hello or a fingerprint reader would be nice, too.

Budget is up to 2400€-ish (based in Germany), depending on whether I need to add stuff (i.e. 2nd SSD or RAM upgrade). I'm willing to compromise here and there but I really want that nice build quality and nice looks.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

3 minutes ago, Vektron said:

can't go AMD because my DJ software does not support AMD CPUs

How? Why? Where is that written?

I can understand if they don't support arm cpus because thats another instruction set, but intel and amd are based on the same base instructions to keep it formulated simple...

What software is this?

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

I assumed that you need thin and light with good battery life?

Can't go wrong with XMG Fusion 15. Or mobile workstations like Thinkpad P1 / X1E (worse cooling though)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

How? Why? Where is that written?

I can understand if they don't support arm cpus because thats another instruction set, but intel and amd are based on the same base instructions to keep it formulated simple...

What software is this?

It's Serato DJ Pro, Serato states they only support Intel CPU (can't find it the source right now) but I'm not taking any risks in that regard.

Only thing I could find rn are their system requirements which only list Intel CPUs: https://serato.com/dj/pro/downloads?systemrequirements#system-requirements

There's material stating AMD problems and official Intel-only support by Serato, so I want to stay within their official spec. Don't get me wrong, I love AMD, my desktop is Ryzen-based but I want to go Intel because of Serato's official support.

(Yes, it will run on AMD, but I might be SOL if there are any problems in the future, as Serato will blame anything on AMD not being ofically supported by them.)

13 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

I assumed that you need thin and light with good battery life?

Can't go wrong with XMG Fusion 15. Or mobile workstations like Thinkpad P1 / X1E (worse cooling though)

Thanks! I'll be looking into those. Is the cooling part related to ThinkPads vs. the XMG Fusion 15 or Dell XPS 15? (I'd guess it's the XMG lol)

1 hour ago, Vektron said:

I'd guess it's the XMG lol

^^this

most thin and lights can't cool well, however Fusion 15 is one of the exception (and other thin and light Tongfangs too)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Hey Vektron,

THERE'S a 15.6" Laptop from the Inspiron lineup called the 'Insipron 7591'.

the laptops have amazing specs for the price

1. 9th Gen Intel CPUs  :  i5(on the base model)
  2. 8Gb RAM(on the base model) and above
  3. 512Gb  PCLe Nvme SSD
  4. NVIDIA GTX 1050(On the base model itself!!!!)
  5. AND THE WHOLE THING COSTS JUST AROUND 905$(incl tax in india) for the Base Model

and i think Dell probably only sells those in India but anyway i have put a link down below

https://www.dell.com/en-in/shop/laptops-2-in-1-pcs/new-inspiron-15-7000-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-7591-laptop

2 hours ago, Vektron said:

Hey there!

I'm currently looking for a nice 14-15 inch laptop which I am going to use for DJing, programming and some gaming.

My needs are:

- an Intel CPU (can't go AMD because my DJ software does not support AMD CPUs) - I think even an i5 would be fine if it's a quad-core

- 16 GB RAM

- 1TB SSD (or a second M.2 or SATA slot)

- GPU performance around the GTX 1650 mark or higher (willing to compromise here if the rest is excellent, even down to MX250 levels)

- Keyboard backlight (no RGB needed)

High-refresh rate screen is optional, I'd prefer a high-DPI screen (2K or 4K). I'm not sure whether I'd like a full-HD screen at 15 inch. I'm fine with gaming at 1080p on a 4K screen. I'd rather not go OLED, knowing myself, I'll be thinking about not burning out pixels all the time, whether that's still an issue with OLED screens or not.

I'm into nice premium build-quality and a "professional" look, that's why the XPS 15 is my reference. I need a reliable all-around machine with decent(-ish) battery life (when not gaming, of course). I won't be gaming *that* much on it, but I do like options.

Either Windows Hello or a fingerprint reader would be nice, too.

Budget is up to 2400€-ish (based in Germany), depending on whether I need to add stuff (i.e. 2nd SSD or RAM upgrade). I'm willing to compromise here and there but I really want that nice build quality and nice looks.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

I recommend the ThinkPad X1 Extreme or the MSI Prestige or the ASUS Zephyrus

When you're in the laptop customization page, I recommend that you choose "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads." That reduces your CPU/GPU temps by as much as 15C which is a must in today's laptop which sport fast CPUs/GPUs to prevent over-heating and thermal throttling. 

HIDevolution offers a prepaid shipping service which basically covers shipping costs both ways should you ever need to send them your laptop for repairs. They will send you a courier person to your home to collect the laptop, have it delivered to them then after fixing it they'll ship it back to you and all of this is paid by them. 

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

58 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

^^this

most thin and lights can't cool well, however Fusion 15 is one of the exception (and other thin and light Tongfangs too)

I found some time to take a look on the Fusion 15. It looks really nice. I'd love 4K over 144Hz but I'm willing to go with 144Hz if the rest is nice. Seems like a super nice laptop and Schenker is even looking to certify it for pro audio: 

That would make it an especially great DJ laptop as well! An additional M.2 slot is a nice touch as well. If they do certify it, that would make it the closest thing to a perfect laptop for me!

I'll keep my eyes on the reddit thread, thank you for the recommendation!

49 minutes ago, SATA-N said:

Hey Vektron,

THERE'S a 15.6" Laptop from the Inspiron lineup called the 'Insipron 7591'.

the laptops have amazing specs for the price

1. 9th Gen Intel CPUs  :  i5(on the base model)
  2. 8Gb RAM(on the base model) and above
  3. 512Gb  PCLe Nvme SSD
  4. NVIDIA GTX 1050(On the base model itself!!!!)
  5. AND THE WHOLE THING COSTS JUST AROUND 905$(incl tax in india) for the Base Model

and i think Dell probably only sells those in India but anyway i have put a link down below

https://www.dell.com/en-in/shop/laptops-2-in-1-pcs/new-inspiron-15-7000-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-7591-laptop

Hey SATA-N,

seems like the 7000 series Inspirons are basically the same in Germany (a tad more expensive, though). Seems like a decent alternative to the XPS, I'll have a closer look.

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Vektron said:

Seems like a super nice laptop and Schenker is even looking to certify it for pro audio

Their support is top notch, especially Tom. Answered all questions in detail, correctly and patiently.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, Super Spartan said:

I recommend the ThinkPad X1 Extreme or the MSI Prestige or the ASUS Zephyrus

When you're in the laptop customization page, I recommend that you choose "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads." That reduces your CPU/GPU temps by as much as 15C which is a must in today's laptop which sport fast CPUs/GPUs to prevent over-heating and thermal throttling. 

HIDevolution offers a prepaid shipping service which basically covers shipping costs both ways should you ever need to send them your laptop for repairs. They will send you a courier person to your home to collect the laptop, have it delivered to them then after fixing it they'll ship it back to you and all of this is paid by them. 

Thank you, I'll look at these!

36 minutes ago, Vektron said:

7000 series Inspirons

7591 has terrible cooling. Even worse than some ULV Ultrabooks.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

Their support is top notch, especially Tom. Answered all questions in detail, correctly and patiently.

I can tell from the xmg subreddit. Seems super responsive and good overall. Really inspires trust.

3 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

7591 has terrible cooling. Even worse than some ULV Ultrabooks.

Damn. I'd be down to pay a premium for the XPS 15 chassis and 4K IPS touch display anyways, though.

16 minutes ago, Vektron said:

I can tell from the xmg subreddit. Seems super responsive and good overall. Really inspires trust.

You should join notebookreview forum and suggestalaptop discord too

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, genexis_x said:

You should join notebookreview forum and suggestalaptop discord too

I'll look into that when I get around to it! Kinda low on time atm :(

2 hours ago, Vektron said:

Hey SATA-N,

seems like the 7000 series Inspirons are basically the same in Germany (a tad more expensive, though). Seems like a decent alternative to the XPS, I'll have a closer look.

Thank you!

No Problem man...

SATA-n feels happy helping his people.