Bitlocker...WTF is the point.

Triqqy

What are the real practical use case scenario of using Bitlocker?

For one if you use it on let say a Laptop for instance most people will either take the physical laptop or try to steal your data through USB and try to hope that they took the right things. But let say  your using a Desktop most thieves will not try to steal the hard drive alone unless you know they only want that and they only had one reason to come by the house and take it. But let be real MOST thieves will just take the damn computer and leave with it.

Let says you are not a victim of people stealing your device. But then you have a RAT ( Remote Administration Tool ) on your computer because you downloaded a virus or malicious program and you were not aware of it until you were too late. Then they can in fact still steal your files when the computer is on and has an active internet connection. It is not like when you have that on you won't be prone to having someone steal your data.

What about your friends trolling you from TeamViewer, AnyDesk, or even in real life. They can still steal the files from you easily with a USB stick.

The only real practical use is if you have the key on a USB stick and when you boot it up, then it will authenticate you and bring you to your own computer. 

So what are the REAL security and practical use of Bitlocker? It seems as though you could still get trolled and rekt left and right.

Is a situation being unlikely a reason not to defend against it?

Bitlocker isn't meant to be a solution to malware, all data theft etc. It's a solution to protect devices in the event they do get stolen, or the drive gets stolen, or simply to prevent unauthorised access. It's certainly not the most common type of security threat, but that's not a reason to not use it.

Here's this computer we stole, we don't have the password/key to it.

Take drive out? Nope, bitlocker.

Reinstall OS and access the data? Nope, bitlocker.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

But you said "It's a solution to protect devices in the event they do get stolen" but I said what about RAT? Maybe even the latest ransomware WannaCry. How does it stand up to those things. You saying that is very vague can you give me an example of what you mean? 

Just now, Triqqy said:

But you said "It's a solution to protect devices in the event they do get stolen" but I said what about RAT? Maybe even the latest ransomware WannaCry. How does it stand up to those things. You saying that is very vague can you give me an example of what you mean? 

Like I said, it's not meant to protect against that kind of threat "Bitlocker isn't meant to be a solution to malware".

Bitlocker is not the be all and end all of security, far, far from it. It's just a part of a comprehensive security solution. It prevents someone from accessing the data on system that has been stolen or drive that has been removed, or simply to prevent unauthorised use when powering on the system. After the key has been entered, Bitlocker basically does nothing and is not meant to protect against software threats like Ransomware, RATs, keyloggers, worms or any other kind of virus or malware. 

The simple answer to your question is that it doesn't stand up to them, but that's because it's not meant to. It's a bit like asking how a Kensington lock would stand up to them. It has a completely different purpose. 

Security is all about layers, you can't just do one thing and expect to be protected. Bitlocker is there to protect your data when your computer is stolen, and that is it, it has one job and it does it very well.  

Obviously this will not protect you at all from malware or anything like that. That is what Antivirus and firewalls software, and proper administrative setup and backups are for. Also training the users to try and identify phishing emails and not to install the malware in the first place.

You just add more and more layers to your security to try and be protective from all angles.

Bitlocker is free!

I don't think I've to say more. Also, it can encrypt flash drives, which get lost all the time in my case. 

I give you a solution that I'm using. I have truecrypted all drives BUT system. And my system drive is put inside internal enclosure. So when I go on holidays for example, I remove system drive and hide it in safe place. Then, if someone stole my pc, all my private files are safe.