Linux distro utilizing security?

While I have used different distros in the past, I'm not completely familiar nor unfamiliar with linux as an OS.

I was wondering if there are (I'm assuming this is a yes) any linux distros that offer high encryption without going as far as say something like a distro built for pentesting.

I'd prefer it to be usable in a day to day regular sense. I have no aim to game on the machine but just to use it as a daily driver. My priority is local security and productivity boosting.

Compatibility with regular hardware is another thing I am concerned about. I know a lot of the more mainstream distros offer pretty good if not great compatibility to hardware but it is something I worry about having to deal with in the long run.

Anyone have any recommendations or concerns maybe I should be aware of?

Red Hat and CentOS are designed for servers, so they probably have good compatibility and security.

Ubuntu is the most popular, especially the LTS versions (14.04, 16.04, 18.04) which have support for 5-10 years. They probably have good security and driver support too.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

Red Hat and CentOS are designed for servers, so they probably have good compatibility and security.

Ubuntu is the most popular, especially the LTS versions (14.04, 16.04, 18.04) which have support for 5-10 years. They probably have good security and driver support too.

Know if distros have any trouble being installed on an M.2?

1 minute ago, KhakiHat said:

Know if distros have any trouble being installed on an M.2?

no, none whatsoever. Some motherboards might not support m.2 nvme though, but not any recent board made in the last 5 years.

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

no, none whatsoever. Some motherboards might not support m.2 nvme though, but not any recent board made in the last 5 years.

Awesome, I wasn't really worried as much about the motherboard compatibility but just the OS. I have heard of people having installations issues with OS's on to the M.2's as a whole.

Thanks for your help.

9 hours ago, wasab said:

Tailos is the best. 

Looks like it uses Tor for internet activity.

Wasn't that browser already broke I thought?

Obviously more secure than Chrome, Edge, etc. though. Do the proxies need to be set up beyond the initial install?

22 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

Looks like it uses Tor for internet activity.

Wasn't that browser already broke I thought?

Obviously more secure than Chrome, Edge, etc. though. Do the proxies need to be set up beyond the initial install?

Tor does not mean Tor browser. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

Tor does not mean Tor browser. 

Could you elaborate?

On 11/2/2019 at 3:41 PM, KhakiHat said:

Could you elaborate?

https://tor.stackexchange.com/questions/4192/what-is-the-difference-between-tor-tor-browser-and-torbrowser-launcher

In short, tor browser is just a browser that uses tor to encrypt all its web traffic.

You can proxy chrome and regular Firefox through tor as well but the problem is that these browser usually have many anonymity compromising settings on such as JavaScript and extensions enabled. 

While NSA or other hackers might compromise tor browser, it does not mean they cracked the tor networks just as if you stupidly drop your key and someone picked it up to enter your house, it does not mean they had broken down your door. 

Sudo make me a sandwich