Is it safe for me to open up my GPU and clean the fan?

Nepcchi

As the title says, recently had a problem of what seems to me GPU overheating itself (most notably in Apex lobby screen while on lowest settings and 1280 x 720 and Max Payne 3 settings) and the screen shutting itself down while the GPU fan works like a small airplane

I just cracked open my GTX 970 to lube the fan that was making noise. Cracked the fan open to use dry lube for the bearing. I cannot stress enough how the importance of being a professional is necessary. IT's not worth the risk if you are an amateur. 

I fixed my temperature and thus fixed my problem. My poor 670's heatsink was so dusty that it was having cooling problem and it was overheating and thermal paste was just a old crusty gray layer. I was just extra careful with it ^^

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

as long as you don't do stupid things, it's totally fine to do

IMG_20191031_120749.jpg

IMG_20191031_121650.jpg

5 hours ago, Nep_ko said:

I fixed my temperature and thus fixed my problem. My poor 670's heatsink was so dusty that it was having cooling problem and it was overheating and thermal paste was just a old crusty gray layer. I was just extra careful with it ^^

That poor cooler; glad it was an easy fix!

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15