Bad texture pop in/texture rendering of shadows, foliage and close objects

I have recently upgraded my whole system and am getting texture pop in on all games. This mainly consists of shadows and foliage not loading in quick enough but also the more detailed parts of buildings and other objects which really breaks immersion ruining the overall experience. I have recently been playing outerworlds, Hell Let Loose, Squad, Destiny 2 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare. All of these titles suffer with same problem as my character moves forward textures load in and when i move backwards they become less detailed. This is happening at close ranges, not from far distances which would be more understandable. I have ran multiple benchmarks which appear to be fine but these benchmarks do not reflect the issues which i seem to be having in game. I believe my system specs should be able to cope with any modern title and not have this occur although i have a feeling it may have something to do with my RAM speed. 

If anyone could offer advice on if upgrading my systems RAM would help resolve this issue i would greatly appreciate it. If you need videos please let me know and i'll happily record footage.

System specs:

GPU - RTX 2070 Super Gigabyte Gaming OC

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz C16 2x8gb

SSD - Adata XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 256GB

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU - Corsair RM850 80+Gold

OS - Windows 10 Pro

34 minutes ago, Soze98 said:

If anyone could offer advice on if upgrading my systems RAM would help resolve this issue i would greatly appreciate it. If you need videos please let me know and i'll happily record footage.

Your RAM is fine, nothing to worry about there at all.

What settings are your playing on?

Is your CPU hitting 100% and holding?

Have you tried the lowest settings(keeping textures on Ultra) to see if that changes anything?

Posting a video would help tremendously. Especially showing system temps and usages.

I had this same texture issue yesterday(or today, can't remember which day) in GR Wildlands, but it went away immediately after like 15 seconds. It occurred in the very first few minutes of starting the game so I didn't think much of it.

I've had similar texture issues in the past playing GTA 5 and it was because I had my CPU clocked at its max turbo speed of 3.2 GHz. Lowered it to 3.0 GHz and it fixed it right up. Have you by chance overclocked your CPU? Or is it possibly clocked at near its max turbo speed of 4.2 GHz? What cooler do you have installed?

10 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

Your RAM is fine, nothing to worry about there at all.

What settings are your playing on? Have you tried the lowest settings to see if that changes anything?

Posting a video would help tremendously. Especially showing system temps and usages.

I had this same texture issue yesterday(or today, can't remember which day) in GR Wildlands, but it went away immediately after like 15 seconds. It occurred in the very first few minutes of starting the game so I didn't think much of it.

I've had similar texture issues in the past playing GTA 5 and it was because I had my CPU clocked at its max turbo speed of 3.2 GHz. Lowered it to 3.0 GHz and it fixed it right up. Have you by chance overclocked your CPU? Or is it possibly clocked at near its max turbo speed of 4.2 GHz? What cooler do you have installed?

I’ve been playing 1080p ultra but looking at getting a 1440p monitor within the next month. I have tried low settings and this issue still remains the same. I have not performed any overclocks on the CPU so it is running stock out of the box. I’m using the standard cooler that comes with the 3600 but temps seem to be fine as it’s a new system. I also get the texture loading you have mentioned when I load into a map or come out of a loading screen but that seems more normal to me. I will provide some footage tomorrow if you let me know what aspects you would like me to include that would be decent.

4 minutes ago, Soze98 said:

I will provide some footage tomorrow if you let me know what aspects you would like me to include that would be decent.

Temps, usages, clock speeds(especially CPU), etc, etc. Show in the video the issues you're having. 1 minute of video should suffice.

15 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

Temps, usages, clock speeds(especially CPU), etc, etc. Show in the video the issues you're having. 1 minute of video should suffice.

Also don't OC the video card.  Seems as tho the VRAM could possibly be bad.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

I have created the footage for you to look at but this forum only allows a max of 20mb file size and my files are bigger. Is there any other way to send you the footage?

Also I could not include statistics within the Call of Duty recording as the application wouldn't let me.

Thanks for the help!

21 minutes ago, Soze98 said:

I have created the footage for you to look at but this forum only allows a max of 20mb file size and my files are bigger. Is there any other way to send you the footage? I could not include statistics within the Call of Duty recording as the application wouldn't let me.

I always post it to YouTube and then it will let you link that video here no matter how long it is. Keep in mind that it takes a few minutes to be in its native resolution when viewing the video on YT right after uploading.

If the statistics aren't in the video, the video might be useless. However, at least we can see the issue you're talking about. Why isn't it letting you? Try moving the statistics from one side to another, sometimes that can help. You do that in Riva Tuner here...

riva1.png.jpg.636669f258e3122ddb6dbc17e46870be.jpg

Just click and drag that 60 over to the right corner(or vice versa). I had to drag it to the left in order for it to show up in GR Wildlands. I think you can just click a corner as well and it should just go to that corner.

Oh and be sure to quote or @ people here or we won't know you've responded. Two ways to do this. Just hightlight any part of our comments and click on Quote selection. Then you'll see that it posted what we say(as shown above) and that notifies us. Second way is to type in the @ symbol and then type in our name until it comes up and then you click on it. When done correctly, it will look like this... @Soze98

1 hour ago, Soze98 said:

Here are two links the top is the outerworlds footage and the second one is CoD MW.

Both links are private. I would guess you need to change that setting to public in your YouTube channel.

1 hour ago, Soze98 said:

Please let me know your thoughts and whether you think upgrading my RAM to 3200MHz would be worth trying.

Upgrading your RAM speed will do nothing for this issue.

2 hours ago, Intransigent said:

Both links are private. I would guess you need to change that setting to public in your YouTube channel.

Upgrading your RAM speed will do nothing for this issue.

@Intransigent

Okay both links should work now sorry about that. I was thinking 3200MHz is optimal for Ryzen CPUs but I guess that won’t help this particular issue.

1 hour ago, Soze98 said:

Okay both links should work now sorry about that.

No problem. I just watched them both. Go into your graphic settings and take screenshots of what you have all your graphic settings currently set to in both those games. Easiest way to take a screenshot is hold the Windows key and then press PRTSC on your keyboard. It then saves the screenshots in the folder in This PC/Pictures/Screenshots by default.

1 hour ago, Soze98 said:

I was thinking 3200MHz is optimal for Ryzen CPUs but I guess that won’t help this particular issue.

It is optimal but I don't think it applies to this issue. Higher RAM speed gives higher and more stable frame rates for the most part. I don't think it applies to textures rendering the way they are. I mean, I could be wrong but I don't think that's what's causing it. What I do know is that what you are seeing is very common in PC gaming and I see it all the time in certain games. We'll see if we can't find out what's causing it and if there is a fix for it.

42 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

No problem. I just watched them both. Go into your graphic settings and take screenshots of what you have all your graphic settings currently set to in both those games. Easiest way to take a screenshot is hold the Windows key and then press PRTSC on your keyboard. It then saves the screenshots in the folder in This PC/Pictures/Screenshots by default.

It is optimal but I don't think it applies to this issue. Higher RAM speed gives higher and more stable frame rates for the most part. I don't think it applies to textures rendering the way they are. I mean, I could be wrong but I don't think that's what's causing it. What I do know is that what you are seeing is very common in PC gaming and I see it all the time in certain games. We'll see if we can't find out what's causing it and if there is a fix for it.

After watching them what do you think about the statistics are they appearing normal? Also both videos are on max settings 1080p, frame rates seems fine to me its just the pop in of shadows, foliage and minor details on buildings that are frustrating me. I have installed both games you have seen to my SSD with no success and have played around with windows and nvidia control panel settings. I might take my GPU out and plug everything back in just in in case it could be that which i highly doubt. 

14 minutes ago, Soze98 said:

After watching them what do you think about the statistics are they appearing normal?

Yes, very normal. I do notice the CPU clock going up and down, which is normal when you don't manually clock your CPU. Nothing to worry about there imo.

16 minutes ago, Soze98 said:

Also both videos are on max settings 1080p

Post screenshots of the settings so I can take a look at them as I have never seen them before in these games. I may be able to spot some things.

18 minutes ago, Soze98 said:

I have installed both games you have seen to my SSD with no success

I don't think this is a storage issue.

19 minutes ago, Soze98 said:

I might take my GPU out and plug everything back in just in in case it could be that which i highly doubt.

You could do that to rule it out, especially if you're very gentle and familiar with how to do it. But with the way games are running nicely temps and usage wise, I'd guess less chance for that to do much. Just my opinion so if you want to rule it out early, by all means, re-seat the GPU.

23 minutes ago, Soze98 said:

played around with windows and nvidia control panel settings.

As long as you remember how to put things back to how they were after changing certain things didn't fix the issue, this type of troubleshooting can be helpful for this type of issue.

Here are the screenshots apologies for the delay. The same issue is also happening in Borderlands 3 and Rising Storm Vietnam 2. I have purchased new RAM as i was going to do that anyway even if this issue didn't occur. When i install my new RAM i will also unplug and reinstall the GPU to take that out of the equation. If the issue still persists i will get a new GPU and send the current one back. I will post updates tomorrow for you bud.

@Intransigent

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

40 minutes ago, Soze98 said:

Here are the screenshots apologies for the delay. The same issue is also happening in Borderlands 3 and Rising Storm Vietnam 2. I have purchased new RAM as i was going to do that anyway even if this issue didn't occur. When i install my new RAM i will also unplug and reinstall the GPU to take that out of the equation. If the issue still persists i will get a new GPU and send the current one back. I will post updates tomorrow for you bud.

Only see a few things that stand out but I don't think they're causing this issue. 

Be sure to test out the game with the new RAM before re-seating the GPU so you can rule out the RAM being the cause. If you think it's the GPU causing this, do you still have your older GPU? Could always see if these issues occur using it.

Be sure to take full advantage of sending the GPU back before its deadline because you surely don't want to not be able to send it back if it is indeed the cause.

Oh and I just loaded up Rising Storm Vietnam 2 and noticed the same texture pop-ins. This could indicate that what you're seeing is a normal thing with video games and why I noticed them too sometimes while gaming.

3 hours ago, Intransigent said:

Only see a few things that stand out but I don't think they're causing this issue. 

Be sure to test out the game with the new RAM before re-seating the GPU so you can rule out the RAM being the cause. If you think it's the GPU causing this, do you still have your older GPU? Could always see if these issues occur using it.

Be sure to take full advantage of sending the GPU back before its deadline because you surely don't want to not be able to send it back if it is indeed the cause.

Oh and I just loaded up Rising Storm Vietnam 2 and noticed the same texture pop-ins. This could indicate that what you're seeing is a normal thing with video games and why I noticed them too sometimes while gaming.

@Intransigent 

I will take your advice and test the GPU out with the new RAM first and look at the results. If there’s no change I’ll use my old GTX 1060 and see if the same things happen. If the issue still persists after doing these things I will take advantage of the 30 day refund period and pick up a different GPU for my rig. 

Also I know texture pop in is normal but not at the ranges I see it through a variety of games. I never noticed it playing on my old system and console before so it just doesn’t feel right with this upgrade in performance. 

I will let you know how I get on. 

3 hours ago, Soze98 said:

I will take your advice and test the GPU out with the new RAM first and look at the results. If there’s no change I’ll use my old GTX 1060 and see if the same things happen. If the issue still persists after doing these things I will take advantage of the 30 day refund period and pick up a different GPU for my rig. Also I know texture pop in is normal but not at the ranges I see it through a variety of games. I never noticed it playing on my old system and console before so it just doesn’t feel right with this upgrade in performance. I will let you know how I get on. 

Sounds good. If the issue still exists on your 1060 then that actually rules out your new GPU and returning it wouldn't fix the issue.

It does seem odd for texture pop-ins to occur at close ranges. Mid range, yes, but close up, no, that shouldn't be happening. I just can't pinpoint what would cause that exactly. Ray tracing maybe? I've never used it so I wouldn't know much about if it can cause this. Have you by chance tried turning off ray tracing? Not sure if there's a way to turn it off outside of games to have it completely off either, not just off in the in-game settings.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I think I might have the same problem. Have you found a fix yet?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I've been having the same problems as the ones described by you. Can you please tell us if you solved the issue? This is the only place I've managed to find where this problem is discussed, and is very frustrating not being able to see the resolution of it. Thanks