Razer Studio 15 Reviews/Thoughts?

Hi! Is there a general consensus on the new Razer studio editions yet and if the price is actually worth it? I'm a video content creator that works with 4K and 8K resolutions and am looking to replace an aging 2012 Macbook Pro. I mostly edit on a beefy PC rig, but need something for on the go that doesn't have to solely rely on proxies. My team is largely working with Premiere Pro and Davinci Resolve.

I've been looking at buying a Razer laptop this year and my greatest fear has been the accuracy of the display and reliability. I've heard this is a different OLED panel, but was curious if anyone knows who makes it and how accurate it is? The only reviewer that touched on the OLED panels is Linus so I'm curious if this is a laptop I should pursue or not. Almost every user I've come across with Razer is to buy an "elite" warranty or something where it can be easily replaced. I haven't had too many issues with my Apple laptops in past beyond some screen issues, but hoping for not a lot of downtime if something were to go wrong. 

Avoid Razer like the plague if you want a laptop that works  or if you care about something called "Customer Service"

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

14 minutes ago, Super Spartan said:

Avoid Razer like the plague if you want a laptop that works  or if you care about something called "Customer Service"

Any personal experiences you can share? I feel like the only option is going with Apple again or trying Razer in this creative space. I just hate the current Macbook Pro keyboard and lack of CUDA to use for Premiere. That is why I still have the pre-touchbar Macbook Pro model with an Nvidia card. 

23 minutes ago, Leicina said:

Any personal experiences you can share? I feel like the only option is going with Apple again or trying Razer in this creative space. I just hate the current Macbook Pro keyboard and lack of CUDA to use for Premiere. That is why I still have the pre-touchbar Macbook Pro model with an Nvidia card. 

I have a RB 15 (2018 with 1070 MaxQ), and I'm selling it because of a lot of "phantom" issues and the fact that I had to change the battery (myself, thank god AliExpress sellers sell them) after owning it for 15ish months. The issues ranged from turning on the laptop and getting a reboot 4-5 times before actually booting to Windows, sometimes it would just shit itself and die on me where I had to do a full reformat etc. There was also plenty of random BSODS (after testing all the hardware, and always getting confirmations everything's ok). I upgraded the RAM from 16 to 32 GB and after the first boot my entire Windows installation got somehow corrupt and I had to reformat again... It pains me to sell it, because it's a beautiful machine and I really love the way it looks, but screw that, I've endured it enough.

If you're going for a "creator" type of laptop, I'd check out MSI WS65 and WS75, and possibly ThinkPad P series.

1 hour ago, Leicina said:

Nothing personal, that's all hear all across the internet.

Speaking of MacBook, I got tired of Windows and their stupid updates constantly breaking stuff and having to update drivers to be compatible with the latest builds. I cannot count to you how many times I've formatted my laptop in the past 2 years. So I recently switched to a MacBook Pro 15 2019 fully specced out. It was very hard for me to switch at first and find alternative apps that I want but when I finally got the hangs of it, I love it!! The integration between my MBP and other iOS devices is out of this world and everything "just works" I love the keyboard, don't know about previous butterfly keyboards but the tactile feedback is amazing and it's a joy to type on. Also a fingerprint scanner that actually works every time. Very easy to login to sites with it and make purchases using Apple Pay.

Don't know about Premiere as I bought Final Cut Pro X and I want to try to use Apple only products. The only Adobe app /I bought is Photoshop Elements 2020 since it's a one time payment not a subscription based on like the CS Suite as I don't need any more subscriptions in my life.

See: Ordered a MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2019) and NBR Recommended Mac Apps

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

10 hours ago, Leicina said:

Hi! Is there a general consensus on the new Razer studio editions yet and if the price is actually worth it? I'm a video content creator that works with 4K and 8K resolutions and am looking to replace an aging 2012 Macbook Pro. I mostly edit on a beefy PC rig, but need something for on the go that doesn't have to solely rely on proxies. My team is largely working with Premiere Pro and Davinci Resolve.

I've been looking at buying a Razer laptop this year and my greatest fear has been the accuracy of the display and reliability. I've heard this is a different OLED panel, but was curious if anyone knows who makes it and how accurate it is? The only reviewer that touched on the OLED panels is Linus so I'm curious if this is a laptop I should pursue or not. Almost every user I've come across with Razer is to buy an "elite" warranty or something where it can be easily replaced. I haven't had too many issues with my Apple laptops in past beyond some screen issues, but hoping for not a lot of downtime if something were to go wrong. 

Razer has a really bad rep in general due to their prone to hardware failures and customer support, I'd avoid them if I buy a computer for work.

I'd lean toward the ThinkPad X1 Extreme / P1 for content creator laptops

For me I've been using the ThinkPad X1 Extreme, and it has been great joy to use this laptop: built like a tank, has a 4K screen with insane color gamut (100% SRGB and 100% AdobeRGB), i7 8750H, 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD, all for $1700 buying secondhanded.

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar